Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to run an air hose extension to the spare tire (2018 EXL).? As you know, the spare tire has the air fill valve facing down (stupid...stupid...stupid...stupid...). I have tried running an air hose under the tire but the weight of the tire pinches it.....

I just can't believe that Honda engineers require the entire spare tire and accessory tray above it to be removed just to check the spare tire air pressure. Stupid...stupid...stupid...stupid....

Did I say how stupid this was?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
190 Posts
Haven’t tried this myself but just spitballing ideas here, could you cut a piece of corrugated wire sheathing and slide it over the air hose to keep it from being pinched but also still flexible?

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
If your extension hose fits through one of the lug holes on the spare, you may be able to drill a hole in the foam and run the hose up through the foam. Still may be too tight underneath, though....

You could always put an aftermarket TPMS in the spare if you're pretty worried about it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I installed a air hose made special for the spare tire. Bought in online , I think it was from Amazon a couple of years ago. I found that idea from a previous poster here a couple of years ago . I think I had to put a small spacer under the back edge of the tire so it wouldn’t pinch the hose. The shrader valve sticks out In the trunk and I can check the air as needed 60 psi. I will post photos when I get a chance. Like I said this was a idea from a previous poster/owner so doing a search here first might turn something up. Chuck
179D6F1C-ABE4-4CF6-A5AC-204ECDF7F810.jpeg
118FF300-00B7-47C0-93EF-DE98A52D8399.jpeg

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Just carry a 12v compressor and you can fill it when you need to use the spare (if ever).
How many new cars now don't even have a spare tire? The spare tire in our last new car, a 2001, also sits upside down, but, it has also never been on the ground. I may check the pressure when I remember, maybe once a year or so, though I do not remember the last time I actually had to add air to it. Like Wilsel, a small compressor keep the spare tire company.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
How many new cars now don't even have a spare tire? The spare tire in our last new car, a 2001, also sits upside down, but, it has also never been on the ground. I may check the pressure when I remember, maybe once a year or so, though I do not remember the last time I actually had to add air to it. Like Wilsel, a small compressor keep the spare tire company.

Bill
I'd never touched the spare in the Accord i had for 18 years and 164k miles. However, the most off-roading i did with that car was dirt roads and grassy fields.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I should have kept the stock compressor from my Miata when I traded it for the Ridgeline. Although the salesperson did remark that the compressor was where it was supposed to be when he inspected my Miata.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
I may check the pressure when I remember, maybe once a year or so, though I do not remember the last time I actually had to add air to it.
Same here over many years with donut spares in various vehicles. I've had several occasions to put 'em to use over those years.

yes, knocking-on-wood as I type :LOL:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed a air hose made special for the spare tire. Bought in online , I think it was from Amazon a couple of years ago. I found that idea from a previous poster here a couple of years ago . I think I had to put a small spacer under the back edge of the tire so it wouldn’t pinch the hose. The shrader valve sticks out In the trunk and I can check the air as needed 60 psi. I will post photos when I get a chance. Like I said this was a idea from a previous poster/owner so doing a search here first might turn something up. Chuck View attachment 399252 View attachment 399253
I installed a air hose made special for the spare tire. Bought in online , I think it was from Amazon a couple of years ago. I found that idea from a previous poster here a couple of years ago . I think I had to put a small spacer under the back edge of the tire so it wouldn’t pinch the hose. The shrader valve sticks out In the trunk and I can check the air as needed 60 psi. I will post photos when I get a chance. Like I said this was a idea from a previous poster/owner so doing a search here first might turn something up. Chuck View attachment 399252 View attachment 399253
Thanks Cmat....this is how I have done it previously but without the spacer to get the gap for the hose. I think this is really the best and simplest solution, although I intend to invest in a good stainless braided hose as the the one I had like yours leaked. I think the stainless braided hoses just have better fittings at each end. Thanks for sharing the photes! Phil

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just checked my spare for the first time in 3 years, reading low at 36 psi, should be 60 psi. I carry a cheap air compressor that might take all day to get to 60 psi. So I might try this extension setup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anybody use this for the spare,
I use the Wheelmaster version of this. I have used it before on a prior Tacoma I owned and it worked perfectly, no leaks at the fittings. So I bought another one to use with my 2018 Ridgeline. So far, it is holding air tight, no leaks. I inflate to 65 lbs to allow for some lost air when removing the extension.

·
Registered
375 Posts
cmat1977 posted earlier on this topic and posted up some pictures of what he had done. I am thankful of his post just as I am of many of the contributions members have given me here on ROC.

It started me to thinking..... And I decided to check my spare, low and behold it had 30 psi, half of the 60 psi specs. So, remembering cmat1977 post I decided to do something very similar.

IMG_0735.jpeg IMG_0734.jpeg IMG_0732.jpeg

It is a fact that I rarely if ever have needed to use the spare, but I am glad I looked into this mod. Thanks to cmat1977, it's a handy mod to have even if lightly used.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I just do this regularly. Every 30-60 days when I add PSI to my 4 tires, I'll pull the tray and air the spare up. I may do the extension hose as outlined above when someone posts a direct link to the product.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
74 Posts
I just do this regularly. Every 30-60 days when I add PSI to my 4 tires, I'll pull the tray and air the spare up. I may do the extension hose as outlined above when someone posts a direct link to the product.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts