Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Spare tire and tools

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TacomaDCLB 
#1 ·
I just pulled out the spare tire today to be a little nibby and noticed the case that holds the jack has 3 unused cut outs or I'm missing some parts, Has anyone checked there spare and tools that might be able to answer?

#3 ·
I put my wheel lock key in one of these.

#5 ·
Actually, as well-intended as wheel locks are, I have heard a NUMBER of stories where people with Honda, and other brand, wheel locks have been unable to get the key in the lock, or they have not been able to remove the lock due to corrosion. Just something to keep in mind... Imagine having a flat and being unable to remove the wheel due to corrosion, etc??? I'm a big fan of wheel locks and Honda accessories, but it may be worthwhile considering a different style of wheel lock in which corrosion will not be an issue.

#6 ·
It's a locked location so it's secure. And I put teflon anti-seize on the studs/bolts as part of my normal tire rotation. No problems yet.

#7 ·
I bought the wheel locks from H&A and the directions in the package mentions that the tool assembly has a space just for it in the styrofoam. It also comes with a zip tie and recommends that it could alternately be zip tied to the lug nut wrench. I also noticed something that I think says alot about the stability of the RL--I put some tie down straps on the little shelf in the trunk and even with all the jostling and short stops etc., they stayed right where I put them. Kinda cool.

#8 ·
ehaley said:
Actually, as well-intended as wheel locks are, I have heard a NUMBER of stories where people with Honda, and other brand, wheel locks have been unable to get the key in the lock, or they have not been able to remove the lock due to corrosion. Just something to keep in mind... Imagine having a flat and being unable to remove the wheel due to corrosion, etc??? I'm a big fan of wheel locks and Honda accessories, but it may be worthwhile considering a different style of wheel lock in which corrosion will not be an issue.

This can happy with any wheel locks. If you damage it the key might not fit. The corrosion is likely on the lug stud itself so any lock could have this problem as well.

#9 ·
If they want your wheel bad enough theyll take it.

I took off a set of locks using an electric impact wrench and a socket that was just a hair too small to fit entirely over the lock itself. Just took a hammer and pounded the socket on the lock, attached the impact wrench to the socket, and out it came...

#10 ·
TacomaDCLB said:
If they want your wheel bad enough theyll take it.

I took off a set of locks using an electric impact wrench and a socket that was just a hair too small to fit entirely over the lock itself. Just took a hammer and pounded the socket on the lock, attached the impact wrench to the socket, and out it came...
It's just a deterrent to the casual thief/vandal. If they want your truck they'll take that too or they might even part it out on the spot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.