Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand it's possible to mount the spare tire in the bed, thus allowing for use of the spare tire tray for other stuff. I'm headed across the country soon and want to maximize space. Anyone know how this works? Can't find info in the manual. I see a cover nipple on the right side of the bed wall toward the front. I believe the salesman said to mount the spare there ...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't know much other than that my salesman said the same thing and indicated the same area you describe.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I checked the index, but found nothing. With a manual that size, I shoulda known it was there somewhere.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Baja tire mount?

I'm sure im getting the name/style wrong here but I have seen whats called a Baja style spare tire holder which holds the spare tire at an angle and looks stunning in the back of a truck. The ones I have seen for GMC require to remove the tailgate but since the ridgeline has ties down in the bed I am wondering if anyone has seen one that just goes into the bed?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've seen ones you need to drill the bed to install.

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=3937

I think your challenge will be finding one that also gives you adequate access to the trunk. I dont want to be a "thread downer", but I cannot think of a way to mount something like this without really making trunk access difficult.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I chain my spare in the bed when I travel across country; that way I have the shelf for packing, and spare doesn't block any vision.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I didn't dig into my owners manual, but I believe the process goes as follows:

1. Unscrew spare tire from holder in trunk.

2. Pull plug from passenger side of bed.

3. Place spare against the side of the bed.

4. Screw spare into the bed using mounting screw from trunk.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Here's a pic for you.... From this cool thread.... http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160

Single Post view... http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375570&postcount=771 (Thanks to Jasonnn)

Read it for all the tips and tricks....
I know this was mentioned before but I have not seen any pictures. You can relocate the spare tire to the bed of the truck. Simply pop out (or break) the cover on the side of the truck

Slide your tire up against the side and flip your little black cap over and use the same bolt that secures it in the trunk to secure it to the side.

Here is what it looks like when you are done. Hope this helps somebody, I had to see it to believe it for myself.
Attached Images

·
Registered
305 Posts
Its not that bad, that's my truck in the post and I got in to see how it looks and you really don't loose that much more vision. The only thing you do loose is that little cover tht you pop off :eek:

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Its not that bad, that's my truck in the post and I got in to see how it looks and you really don't loose that much more vision. The only thing you do loose is that little cover tht you pop off :eek:

Yes it is.... I mentioned the thread but edited it with a link with just your post.... Props to you... I didn't get any further then to figure how the pin works…. You have to push in the center part of the pin to pull it out.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I-yi-yi ... doesn't look so good from the back. I guess that's not the point though. How would you "lock" it to keep it from being stolen, since you moved it from the trunk to secure other stuff?
Use a cable with lock through a lug post to the bed tie down. Then again someone will steal it just because it is a joke of a tire.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tow and put my trailer spare on the RL bed (the trailer does not have a rack for a spare and I thought it better to keep the spare's weight in the truck and not in the trailer. I lock it up using a cable lock to the left front tiedown point. The spare block a little bit of vision but I can live with it. Not that i care very much but I think the bed mounted spare gives the RL a purposeful look.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's the interst to put the spare tire visible?

Maybe with a big wheels and put on a roll bar....

Josué

·
Registered
600 Posts
The option was provided by Honda to allow the spare to be accessible if hauling a load. It would add insult to injury if you had to unload a full bed to access the spare and change a flat. Some have used this feature to fee up space in the trunk for added security. I remember one member said he moved the spare when using the trunk as a cooler, it gave him a place to put the deli trays.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts