Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just want to chime in here and point out there is a HUGE prolem with fake/knock off NGK and denso spark plugs being sold on both amazon and ebay...One of the most common issues with these fakes is they are not built with the correct amount of copper and resistence which causes them to explode just like the issue the OP thought he had in this thread. They also wear down very quickly. You can test the plugs with an ohm meter to see if they are fakes but bottom line is if you got one of those deals online which seemed too good to be true (all 6 plugs for around $20-30) they are likely fakes. They come in very convincing packaging. I almost fell for this recently myself.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,174 Posts
I just want to chime in here and point out there is a HUGE prolem with fake/knock off NGK and denso spark plugs being sold on both amazon and ebay...One of the most common issues with these fakes is they are not built with the correct amount of copper and resistence which causes them to explode just like the issue the OP thought he had in this thread. They also wear down very quickly. You can test the plugs with an ohm meter to see if they are fakes but bottom line is if you got one of those deals online which seemed too good to be true (all 6 plugs for around $20-30) they are likely fakes. They come in very convincing packaging. I almost fell for this recently myself.
I'm convinced I did fall for a set of fake Denso plugs from Amazon within the past 2 years. Put a new set in my daughter's Corolla and didn't get 25k out of them before they were so worn they didn't appear they'd ever been changed. Caused me to have to tow her from PA to NC since we thought it was another failed coil pack... which didn't fix it and brought its own share of problems when the coil pack assembly separated when I was trying to talk her through the process late at night.

Unfortunately, we tossed the plugs before I came across the info about the fake plugs so I was unable to examine them to try to prove that theory/conclusion. But that's the only thing that explains the early failure.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,016 Posts
Guess this just shows that "good deals" are often not that good. If a seller is trying to get rid of a set of plugs which should cost $50-60 or more for $25, there's definitely something wrong. Cheap knock-off manufacturing, no warranty, and no liability equals a big mess. I take back any instance of me saying to buy plugs from Amazon in the past - buy from RockAuto.

·
Super Moderator
23,174 Posts
Agreed. No more spark plugs from Amazon for me. And I just put an Amazon set in my beater Civic just before I came across this info. But they are the V-Power.. and pretty cheap anyway... so maybe I got the real thing. Who knows?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi all I was concerned about this issue as well give I recently acquired a 2007 RT. I changed the radiator and decided to check the spark plugs. Low and behold Spark plug #5 coil was red and the plug was hand loose. I changed the plugs and I checked the plug torque 10k miles later they are still good. I will consider checking once a year to be sure.

Plug #5 which was loose is on the right

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,016 Posts
Definitely had some heat getting past that spark plug seal. It seems as though you caught it in time, though. I check mine about once a year and ensure to use a torque wrench. "Hand tight" isn't good enough for these plugs.

·
Super Moderator
23,174 Posts
I confess that I've only checked the tightness of my plugs 1 time in 119k miles. They were good. I have no idea why some remain tight and some work themselves loose. I have a major service coming up at 120k miles, so no plans to check them before that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I confess that I've only checked the tightness of my plugs 1 time in 119k miles. They were good. I have no idea why some remain tight and some work themselves loose. I have a major service coming up at 120k miles, so no plans to check them before that.
At least from my research it has to do with thermal expansion of the front head which I guess is inherent in the design and causes plugs 4 and 5 to work loose. Albeit its not a rampant enough issue but being it is known among the forums its not super rare either. I've been working on my own Honda's for 20+ years and this is a first for me. I usually change out my plugs anyway from 50-70k miles so maybe that's why I never come across this issue. I only recently acquired this Ridgeline so through my usual maintenance I probably wouldn't have encountered this issue.

·
Super Moderator
23,174 Posts
So cylinders 4 and 5 as illustrated here?

RL cylinder numbering.gif

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,582 Posts
Even still, I wonder it is just 4 & 5. Why not 5 & 6? Why would the thermal soak be prevalent in only 4 & 5, I would imagine the the rear bank would, without the fan next to them, to be holding in the radiant heat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even still, I wonder it is just 4 & 5. Why not 5 & 6? Why would the thermal soak be prevalent in only 4 & 5, I would imagine the the rear bank would, without the fan next to them, to be holding in the radiant heat.
No idea, maybe it has something to do without the passage of water through the cooling system, Maybe the area around 4 and 5 has a relatively slower or more turbulent flow.

·
Super Moderator
23,174 Posts
Yes that is correct, its the same for all j35 engines.
Not sure everyone know how the J35 cylinders are counted. Just making sure. ;)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts