Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda Ridgeline is 2006 she is super nice vehicle I ever owns I have her 7 years I put 210k miles on her but last week she surprised me with this one spark plug got loose and blow trough fan to the radiator like ballot 馃槀
1264C67C-7338-4EC4-BADD-375389103EE1.jpeg

Registered
Does not (to me) appear to be a Ridgeline spark plug. Count the threads...
View attachment 408696
I hadn't thought to count threads. That's a good catch. I was looking at the radiator. It doesn't look like mine. There's another peculiarity or three, but not of much interest to me if I simply put a wrench on the plugs occasionally to verify their tightness.

Registered
By the number of holes in the general area of the radiator, it looks like it happened a number of times???? The other amazing thing is the coil pack loosen itself too for this to happen.

WOW.....

Registered
By the number of holes in the general area of the radiator, it looks like it happened a number of times???? The other amazing thing is the coil pack loosen itself too for this to happen.

WOW.....
...and no part of the coil pack is in the radiator, and the plug and its threads look like they鈥檙e all intact and in pretty good shape, and the plug is clean, and...

Registered
2020 BE
Wouldn鈥檛 the plug first need to tear out of the head, blow thru the coil pack and maybe even crash into the hood before it amazingly still had enough energy to dive downward and then forward to slam through the rad?? Maybe it actually came from the road and got thrown thru the grill? That would make more sense to me.

Administrator
Wouldn鈥檛 the plug first need to tear out of the head, blow thru the coil pack and maybe even crash into the hood before it amazingly still had enough energy to dive downward and then forward to slam through the rad?? Maybe it actually came from the road and got thrown thru the grill? That would make more sense to me.
The A/C condenser is in front of the radiator, so it would have to go through the condenser first.

Super Moderator
That spark plug if from a Ford TRuck. They were known to blow out plugs. In this case the Honda just was a "victim". lol

Registered
That spark plug if from a Ford TRuck. They were known to blow out plugs. In this case the Honda just was a "victim". lol
My Honda Ridgeline is 2006 she is super nice vehicle I ever owns I have her 7 years I put 210k miles on her but last week she surprised me with this one spark plug got loose and blow trough fan to the radiator like ballot 馃槀 View attachment 408683 View attachment 408683 View attachment 408684
I have 330k on my 2006 RTL and I have never launched a spark plug. Additionally, I do get confused for Mario Andretti when I am on the road, which cylinder did it come from?

Registered
This happened twice in our 2002 Odyssey, which has the same 3.5L engine as the 2006 Ridgeline. It was a real mess because the first time, the spark plug vibrated loose and damaged the threads in the block, and also, one of the 4 grounding tabs on the Bosch spark plug fell down into the cylinder. The shop repaired the threads and fished out the piece of metal if for a relatively cheap price, but it turned out to be too cheap. After 2 weeks, the same spark plug blew off the coil assembly, hit the hood, fell down and melted its way through the plastic shroud under the engine. No way we were returning to the first shop, so a 2nd shop fixed the threads with an insert (a lot more money) but that ultimately fixed the problem.

I always torqued the spark plugs when I replaced them, but occasionally we'd have work done on that vehicle and it's possible a garage replaced them without torqueing them. Another thing to remember is that NGK advises against using anti-seize, since their torque spec assumes dry threads. The lesson for me is to check plug torques often!

Registered
'19 RTL-T

Registered
I call "Shenanigans"!!! 1st off there are 3 stripped threads, which means it wasn't threaded in all the way, so the truck COULDN'T have been running good, 2nd the plug cover thing, unless it was missing, would have done something like redirect the plug, or flip it over so the threads would have entered first... IF the cover was missing, then again the truck wouldn't be running right... 3rd the plug wire would have caused another problem of sorts, 4th where are the fan shrouds?
It's a shame our politics can't be trusted, but when the enter our websites, they've gone too far!!!

Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL E
Does not (to me) appear to be a Ridgeline spark plug. Count the threads...
View attachment 408696
I also noticed a couple of other things about th shanks on the two (2) different plugs.

1. The threadred area of the plug on the Left appears to be tapered towards the bottom while the threaded area of the plug on the Right looks like it is the same diameter along the entire length of the shank.

2. It could just be the photograph, but to me, it looks as if the threads of the plug on the Left are closer together about 1/4 of the way up the shank.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I can tell you that it isn鈥檛 fake. The coil was broken and hanging by the wire. The plastic fan had 2 blades broken off and all the coolant came out of the radiator. It was running just fine until it made a loud noise and then it ran very rough and started steaming.

Registered
2014 Sport
I can tell you that it isn鈥檛 fake. The coil was broken and hanging by the wire. The plastic fan had 2 blades broken off and all the coolant came out of the radiator. It was running just fine until it made a loud noise and then it ran very rough and started steaming.
It really does look like you had the wrong type of plug in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts