Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in the day when I had my '99 Integra VTEC, i replaced the stock plugs and wires, with aftermarket wires from Accel.

I was visiting the Accel website and there's no choice of any Honda (or Acura) models.

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket plugs and wires recommended for Honda specifically?

· Registered
1,849 Posts
If you are talking about the ridgeline....they have coils on plugs. No wires. like 99% of vehicles nowadays. And only replace with original NGK iridium plugs. Either from honda directly or original replacements online,whatever the wallet prefers.

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,175 Posts
As was said, there are no spark plug wires - just coils over the plugs. As far as I know, there is no aftermarket product that would replace the OEM coils nor is there a reason to use anything other than the OEM coils. Same is said for the OEM spark plugs. They are NGK/Denso iridium plugs that will last well past 100k miles. There is no better aftermarket alternative as there is nothing that can be gained from changing plugs. The OEM plugs can be purchased on Amazon for about $10 a piece ($60 for a full set).

As a general guideline, if you're looking to improve the performance of the RL - good luck. There are next to no aftermarket parts made for it. you'd need to get into custom work which ends up costing quite a bit. The driveline (transmission and rear diff) on the 1st gen RL is rated to handle around 300hp/tq before you begin to approach the engineering limits of the material strength of the clutches. It's been pretty much proven on here several times that an air intake does nothing for performance as the OEM air intake can out-flow what the engine is capable of ingesting. Likewise, nothing is gained from altering the exhaust system other than different/louder sound. The J-series engine can be built to handle quite a bit of power, but you'd have $15-20k into it upgrading the internals, slapping on forced induction and doing all of the custom tuning needed to make the truck run properly. Even then, you'd need to look into upgrading the transmission and doing a custom rear end setup. It would basically render the RL as a RWD only vehicle with not a whole lot of year-round usefulness. I can think of a heck of a lot more ways to spend $20k than on making a 4500lb. mid-sized truck as fast as a stock Camaro SS.

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
"plug wires" today are just signal wires. No high voltage. The coil is right above the plug and does it's job very well. Same goes for the plugs, stay with quality ones like NGK.
There are no tricks or gadgets that can improve on it.

As much as I love some of the classics, I am so glad not to have to deal with the variable quality of aftermarket ignition parts.

Reactions: Katzklawz1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.