Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first RL in August of 2016 with 61k miles, Certified Pre Owned from a Honda dealer. They give you a checklist of all the items they check, but I find it hard to believe that they checked the spark plugs. My mileage was getting bad so I thought I would check a few things and found these, which look like they could be original. It certainly is running better now with new Bosch plugs. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Original irradium spark plugs are called to be replaced at 100,000 miles so wouldn't be unsual to still find them in place at only 61,000.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I recently purchased a CPO Ridgeline, and from what I gather they do not replace anything ahead of the normal maintenance schedule unless it is inoperable or fails. I'm not positive, but I think the replacement interval for spark plugs is 105K miles (that's what it is on our Pilot.) Another example is brake pads -- if there is still life left in them and they'll pass inspection, they don't get changed.

What kind of Bosch plugs did you use?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Plugs don't get changed till 105k. And then ? buck up (pun intended) get the OEM plugs. I have a friend who used to be a Honda Tech, he says no matter what Anyone tells you the aftermarket ones are the same, they Are Not. Everytime a car or truck would come in with MPG problems he would first check the plugs. Then move on. 80% it would be the aftermarket plugs the customer just put in. 20% was dirty air filters and what not.
The aftermarket sources will tell you that if the part number on the plug is correct them it's right for your vehicle. They just don't work the same as OEM.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently purchased a CPO Ridgeline, and from what I gather they do not replace anything ahead of the normal maintenance schedule unless it is inoperable or fails. I'm not positive, but I think the replacement interval for spark plugs is 105K miles (that's what it is on our Pilot.) Another example is brake pads -- if there is still life left in them and they'll pass inspection, they don't get changed.

What kind of Bosch plugs did you use?

I got the Bosch OE Fine Wire Iridium plus from Advance. It is definitely running better, but if I notice the mileage getting bad again I'll replace with NGK's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Plugs don't get changed till 105k. And then ? buck up (pun intended) get the OEM plugs. I have a friend who used to be a Honda Tech, he says no matter what Anyone tells you the aftermarket ones are the same, they Are Not. Everytime a car or truck would come in with MPG problems he would first check the plugs. Then move on. 80% it would be the aftermarket plugs the customer just put in. 20% was dirty air filters and what not.
The aftermarket sources will tell you that if the part number on the plug is correct them it's right for your vehicle. They just don't work the same as OEM. END Quote

Way back in this forum, it was pretty well established that the OEM plugs worked the best for our Ridgelines. So OEM is the only plugs that have been in mine since I drove it out of the showroom. It's on its 3rd set of NGKs. You can see what my mpg is for the last 195,000 miles. I'll be looking to drop a 4th set in when she approaches 300,000 miles and a new timing belt etc.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ya, I was trying to point it out to Hotsauce1208. I realize that cost of parts is always going to be looked at.
When I worked at a dealership it was amazing how often the customer always tried to fix their vehicles with their wallet instead of their brains. Always told us the our parts were too much. But at the same time complained that the car or truck wasn't running correctly or gas mileage was off. Because we were the dealer and what the aftermarket was telling them different. We were not telling the truth. My way of thinking is if there is a huge price difference in the price, something is wrong. The public thinks the prices of dealer parts are marked way up. Not true! Maintenence parts have the smallest markup. Some hard parts are pricey yes, but it starts from the Manufacture. The people who put the OEM parts in their vehicles get the best performance and Longevity out of their vehicles and well tell you that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It's been a long time since I've really done any parts shopping, but in my experience the dealer was the cheapest maybe 30% of the time. Usually not by much, but sometimes the lowest. Seldom were they the highest of the four I'd check, often eligible for jobber pricing.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,345 Posts
My experiences with the Honda dealerships in my vicinity (MD suburbs) is that they are not particularly punctual, only get the work done correctly about half of the time and their prices for parts are a good 30% higher than what I can get OEM stuff for from places like Bernardi parts. The also rarely stock any of the Ridge specific parts that I might need. I certainly agree that OEM parts are often well worth the added cost but I have almost no incentive to go to my local dealers for parts or service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I was trying to point it out to Hotsauce1208. I realize that cost of parts is always going to be looked at.
When I worked at a dealership it was amazing how often the customer always tried to fix their vehicles with their wallet instead of their brains. Always told us the our parts were too much. But at the same time complained that the car or truck wasn't running correctly or gas mileage was off. Because we were the dealer and what the aftermarket was telling them different. We were not telling the truth. My way of thinking is if there is a huge price difference in the price, something is wrong. The public thinks the prices of dealer parts are marked way up. Not true! Maintenence parts have the smallest markup. Some hard parts are pricey yes, but it starts from the Manufacture. The people who put the OEM parts in their vehicles get the best performance and Longevity out of their vehicles and well tell you that.

Actually it wasn't a cost issue- I unexpectedly had time to do the job and the nearby Advance Auto Parts was out of stock on the OE plugs. I've always had good experience with Bosch so I went with them. I should have researched this forum first as I believe in using the best parts. If I see degradation in performance, I'll get the NGK's. Thanks for the guidance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sparkplugs and tires are the same. Different grade tires A tires go to manufactures, B & C tires go to the bigger and smaller tire stores. And then you have the Club tires. Which can not be matched anywhere but the place you bought them from.
Plugs are the same. They are graded and then sent down the line like tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts