Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances of getting a special price on these bad boys?

·
Registered
762 Posts
It would be up to Honda, all of the
items are ones that Honda had on special promotions where we were able to get them at a discount. Many of them are priced on the site below what we usually pay for them.
The good news is they have about a thousand of those wheels in their inventory, the bad news is they fit the current models so they may not be looking to unload them real soon.

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
There are at least two other posts about these wheels - people are interested in them. Until they see the price. I'm not aware that anyone with these wheels has posted that they have them, let alone any photos.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Honda's wheels have continued to get more and more expensive. It is to the point now that I really don't expect to sell any of most of them. We can only mark them down so much, we can't sell the items for less than we pay for them.

On the plus side if nobody is buying them then eventually Honda will have to mark them down like the other ones :)

Although Honda has already marked the 17" wheels back up, we just bought up a couple of sets while the price was lower so we still have them marked down.

-Trevor

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Oops Trevor - I meant nothing bad about H&A pricing. I'm sorry if anyone took it that way. I have two disappointments concerning these wheels: one, I really like them and think they'd look great on my black RL, but the price holds me back. Second, Honda comes out with a high-quality, great looking (in my opinion) accessory wheel but (seem to) not sell many of them. To me it parallels the story of the Ridgeline. I didn't mean to suggest H&A was taking advantage of anyone.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I didn't take it as anything against us. It frustrates me too, when I see new accessory wheels and think "wow, those look great" then see the price and go "those aren't going to sell". Awhile back I was told that Honda has really high standards for their wheels for what kinds of impacts they can survive and that that runs the price up a fair amount. It still would be nice if they were a bit more competetive with the pricing.

On a side note, I hope Honda knows what they are doing with their advertising, at a time when several other car companies are really working to show the features of their vehicles Honda isn't and it is the features that make the Honda's stand out.
When they came out with the Insight my wife commented that it was so great that it had the little flower on the dash that grew leaves when you drove well. She thought it was a shame they didn't show that in the commercials. Now Ford is running commercials for their hybrid and showing how the dash shows more leaves the 'greener' you drive...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wanted to post and say how happy I am with these rims. They arrived at 1pm today and by 3:30pm, my Largo Honda had them on my new 2011 RTL. Very pleased with the look. Even more so, living in South Florida in a SALT air environment, I am thankful they are alloy.
Will try to figure out how to post a photo of them.

·
Administrator
14,521 Posts
"Chrome look" raises an eyebrow with me - particularly for the price. I suppose that's better then the chromed plastic skins that many manufacturers are gluing to aluminum wheels these days and calling them "chrome wheels" (i.e. Chevrolet, Dodge, others) - and they are charging more for these wheels than more durable aluminum wheels without the plastic glued to them!

·
Registered
762 Posts
from all the feedback I've gotten the 'Chrome Look' holds up way better than chrome. Our rep says they haven't had any complaints at all from the areas where salt causes problems with other wheels.

In my opinion the special paint process, whatever exactly that is, looks way better than chrome. And if it holds up tons better too that is just a win/win.

·
Administrator
14,521 Posts
If that's the case, then that's a good sign. As an engineer, I'm constantly thinking of ways to change or improve things, but 99.9% of it stays in my head or only exists as prototypes. Particularly in my industry, safety and reliability are top priorities. If that means using 50-year-old technology that has proven itself over time, then that's what gets used until a new idea proves itself. I'll admit I'm no metallurgist and only became aware of chrome-look and plastic chrome covers on vehicles about a year ago - perhaps they've been around a while and have already proven durable.

·
Registered
588 Posts
HI all, I have the 17" "chrome look" rims. I've been trying to get the district service manager to look at my rims. The clear coat has started to peel and contaminates have infiltrated the clear coat. I'm a nut about detailing the truck, it has never seen a car wash and they have been cleaned as per the instructions. I believe the clear is only applied from the front, which leaves the edges of the spoke vunerble to failing adhesion. The rims are also peeling under the center caps...

Trevor, have you had any issues with the "chrome look" finish?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Considering that my house is ON the (salt) water Florida Bay, time will tell down here. As these are a Honda part installed by my Honda dealer, they are under warranty. I never keep a truck past 3 years and I really think these will hold-up.

As an aside, I have the "painted alloy" OEM rims on my 2008 CTS. A neighbor & I got our cars within a week of each other. They mirror each other in every way except his rims are chrome. We are both maintenance fanatics. His chrome rims have already started to get tiny, tiny surface rust areas (around the valve stem). Mine are as nice as the day I took delivery.

I have my fingers crossed the Ridgeline alloy wheels will do the same in this environment.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
"Chrome look" raises an eyebrow with me - particularly for the price. I suppose that's better then the chromed plastic skins that many manufacturers are gluing to aluminum wheels these days and calling them "chrome wheels" (i.e. Chevrolet, Dodge, others) - and they are charging more for these wheels than more durable aluminum wheels without the plastic glued to them!
If that's the case, then that's a good sign. As an engineer, I'm constantly thinking of ways to change or improve things, but 99.9% of it stays in my head or only exists as prototypes. Particularly in my industry, safety and reliability are top priorities. If that means using 50-year-old technology that has proven itself over time, then that's what gets used until a new idea proves itself. I'll admit I'm no metallurgist and only became aware of chrome-look and plastic chrome covers on vehicles about a year ago - perhaps they've been around a while and have already proven durable.
I hated them in chrome. I had them less than 6 months and they were starting to flake. I then had them powdercoated in black. My powdercoater told me he would have to sand them down to get the chrome off. When I went to pick them up, I got a reduced price because he used a chemical paint stripper first and the chrome literally feel off - no sanding required. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
We have a first-class wheel restoration shop here, for people who want their OEM chromed. They do 'black chrome' too. Black Diamond looks awesome! They do colors too.

http://www.wheelcreationsplus.com/

It is less than the cost of the Honda chrome look-a-likes. I probably wont bother at this point, but I think it is a much better alternative than the OEM 'look-a-likes'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts