Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I bought a RL and the speedo did not work. Thought I would share my repair.

Bought stepper motor off of Ebay.

1) remove instrument panel
2) remove clear plastic to expose needles for gauges
3) put tape down and mark full CCW and CW positions on all gauges with marker
4) pry upwards and remove each needle
5) separate the green board from the display panel
6) use solder sucker to remove solder from the 4 pins of stepper motor
7) gentle pry up older stepper motor and clean solder points for new motor
8) place new motor onto board and solder the 4 connections
9) basic reassemble of previous steps in reverse.

My speedo works well. I double checked the speeds with GPS and checked tach with OBDII tester.

Hope this helps someone along the way.

Cheers!!!
Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When removing board, there is a little plug that connects to the digital display, you have to gently separate the plug (third pic is of the black plug and kinda shows the pins that go into it from the digital display).

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first pic is of the motor poking through the front of the board. The second pic is the 4 pins of the stepper motor that needs to have the solder removed to be able to remove the stepper motor(bad pic sorry). I used a solder sucker and kept removing the solder until the of motor would come off the board.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a pic of the new stepper motor by itself. Second is a pic of a paper spacer, when putting the needles back onto the the motors, place thespace on the base of the speedo face so that when the needle is pushed down it won't bottom out and rub on the face of the speedo.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,384 Posts
Wow, great write up.

Hopefully I'll never have to do this.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I tip my hat to you sir, well done.

I hope I never have to do this repair, but would you please post the link to the eBay stepper motor so I know what to look for?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey nosweat, just wanted to thank you for the time you took to share and show the process to replace the stepper motors.

I have had this crackling noise from my gauges for a while and it was driving me nuts. I thought if was a relay or bad connection at first, but after poking around I noticed it was coming from inside the gauge cluster.

I decided to order all 4 OEM stepper motors made by sonceboz off ebay. The seller's name is Dave and he's really a reasonable and cool person to deal with. His store is http://stores.ebay.com/romeo-electric and he also sells the kit with additional instructions/pictures including the soldering kit, etc. The shipping was lightning fast too. I installed all 4 stepper motors and everything is back to normal and running like new.

Some pointers along the way that may help others from my experience.

- use a small screwdriver soldering tip such as a Weller ETJ .031" / .8mm. I used a Weller ETA 1/16" / .063" / 1.6mm, but found it just a tad difficult soldering and desoldering. I managed anyways since this ETA tip was the only thing small enough at the time.

- use nitrile gloves to prevent your nails from scratching the gauge cluster black/gray back board. I managed to neglect this and scratched the surface a bit. No worries, I was able to remove small scratches with a Magic Eraser and dabbed corner of sponge with a small tad of water. Looks new now.

- the needle on the gauges were freaking hard to remove, especially the Speedometer. On reinstall, I used a very small amount of silicone paste on the shaft where the gauge needles attach. Hopefully, this will make future removal easier if the need ever arises.

- the needle on the Speedometer and Tachometer are different in size eventhough they look the same to me. The Speedometer is just a few millimeters bigger than the Tachometer needle and I did not notice this at first. I installed them wrong and later noticed the Tachometer needle looked too big actually. Then, I just swapped them over correctly.

- the Fuel gauge and Engine Temp needles are the same size, so you can't get those wrong when reinstalling

Interestingly, 2 of the 4 original motors were real noisy as if the plastic gears were stripped, the 3rd motor was starting to show signs of breaking down, and the 4th motor appeared okay. Not sure what really caused this, but I'm happy I went this route and saved tons of money.

I did take my time and did not rush anything. I set aside one good day to tackle this job and I have no complaints. Thankfully, I did not damage anything and hope this helps someone else who may be having similar problems.

Again, thanks nosweat for sharing the pictures too which helped tremendously.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jmozeek

glad that it worked out well for you. Hope others take the plunge if the need should occur.

I have many miles on my RL now and I kinda find myself smiling some days when I see the speedo working perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts