Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Ridgeline that I've been driving for years and hope to drive or many more, mostly as my daily work truck. Several years ago a 5 gallon bucket of semi gloss white paint turned over in the truck. I tried to wash it out but couldn't get it completely clean. I've lived with it for years but now I'd like to get the truck bed back to black. I don't necessarily need it to be rough like some of the spray on or paint on bed liners you can buy in stores. I'm more looking for it to be back to something similar to factory. I would also like to paint the inside of the trunk area where paint also spilled. I do not have a bed cover so it will be open to the elements though it is parked in the garage at night. Any ideas on what would go on easy, bond well to the composite material the liner is made out of, and stand up over time?

Picture: https://ibb.co/Vpk62Xt

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Several years ago a 5 gallon bucket of semi gloss white paint turned over in the truck.
Exactly what kind of paint (chemistry)?

Know anyone who does 'soft media' (e.g. walnut shell, plastic bead, there are others) blasting that could do a careful test?

Yeah, thinking about removal rather than cover-up; for the latter IMO the options are various bed liner materials that it sounds like you've already considered and vetoed due to the inherent texture they impart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for paint that was spilled, it was a latex Semi gloss from Lowe's. The liner is also rather scratched and just rough looking so that's why I was leaning repaint.
A line-x type would be okay, it just doesn't have to be rough like that and if there were something I could do myself all the better.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think your bed might look better than mine. It’s a truck, and I’ve kind of given up on it being “nice”.

I did lay down some indoor/outdoor carpet I had laying around. I like the way it catches garbage before it ends up in the trunk seal.

I think there must be threads stating what people have used to paint their ridgeline beds. I bet a flat or matte charcoal or black spray paint would be pretty simple. (Scratches don’t bother me. So I don’t search, but will follow this thread now.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
That's gonna be tough to get out.

I'd test some 'Oops paint remover' to see if it will help.

If that doesn't work you could try a furniture or paint stripper in an inconspicuous area, but it may harm the bed material and would defiantly damage the truck paint, so be very, very careful.

Having the bed sprayed with liner would make it like new again and may be your best option. You could go to the pros or buy a do-it-yourself kit.

Reactions: roywood

·
Administrator
18,284 Posts
You could have the bed re-painted. Unlike the G2's bed which is the same color throughout the composite material, the G1's bed composite bed was painted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's what I hope to do is paint it myself. I was just looking for some suggestions on what type of tank might look best and hold up.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
For proper adhesion of any new paint you may want to remove the latex paint as much as possible. Back when I was a park ranger we used a product to remove graffiti paint, worked well if used sparingly. If used too much it took off the underlying paint.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
288 Posts
You could try ZEP VANDAL REMOVER. We used this stuff at work and it really gets rid of unwanted stuff. Magic marker, paint, grease. BE CAREFUL, this stuff will eat some plastic and can take off more that you want. Expensive too, $45 (US) on Amazon per can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So here's what I've done so far and it seems to be working pretty well. I took some degreaser and got off as much of a splatter on the sides as possible. Then I took a can of krylon all-in-one paint plus primer and went to town. The good news is that it's working really well. The bad news is that it makes the parts I haven't painted look really bad so I'm going to have to get to them sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
So here's what I've done so far and it seems to be working pretty well. I took some degreaser and got off as much of a splatter on the sides as possible. Then I took a can of krylon all-in-one paint plus primer and went to town. The good news is that it's working really well. The bad news is that it makes the parts I haven't painted look really bad so I'm going to have to get to them sooner rather than later.

That looks really good, nice job.

Reactions: roywood

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2007 Ridgeline that I've been driving for years and hope to drive or many more, mostly as my daily work truck. Several years ago a 5 gallon bucket of semi gloss white paint turned over in the truck. I tried to wash it out but couldn't get it completely clean. I've lived with it for years but now I'd like to get the truck bed back to black. I don't necessarily need it to be rough like some of the spray on or paint on bed liners you can buy in stores. I'm more looking for it to be back to something similar to factory. I would also like to paint the inside of the trunk area where paint also spilled. I do not have a bed cover so it will be open to the elements though it is parked in the garage at night. Any ideas on what would go on easy, bond well to the composite material the liner is made out of, and stand up over time?

Thanks!
I use this on my '07 and its looks great. https://www.duplicolor.com/product/truck-bed-coating/

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think your bed might look better than mine. It’s a truck, and I’ve kind of given up on it being “nice”.

I did lay down some indoor/outdoor carpet I had laying around. I like the way it catches garbage before it ends up in the trunk seal.

I think there must be threads stating what people have used to paint their ridgeline beds. I bet a flat or matte charcoal or black spray paint would be pretty simple. (Scratches don’t bother me. So I don’t search, but will follow this thread now.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dittos: "IT'S A TRUCK"

·
Registered
286 Posts

Thanks!
How long has the paint that spilled held up? Maybe the answer is in front of you... I think Lowes custom colors their paint too...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts