Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Spring Flint Hills Ridge Run Gathering

• Yes, Saturday (4/7) works best for us, but I prefer hard surface roads only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Sunday (4/8) works best for us, but I prefer hard surface roads only.

• Yes, Sunday (4/8) works best for us and gravel roads are no problem.

Spring Flint Hills Ridge Run?

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  geotech 
#1 ·
Is there an interest in Flint Hills Ridge Run this spring? I would host and plan about a day’s activities in the Council Grove, Strong City, Matfield Green and Emporia areas. The routine burning of the prairie traditionally takes place during end of March or early April. The route and activities could include driving on gravel roads. Since the Flint Hills are my usual haunt, I’m aware of several drives that showcase the natural beauty of this unique environment. No real off roading or dirt trails. Of course, weather permitting.

The date would be either Saturday, April 7 or Sunday, April 8.

Cast your vote now! Only a month away. :)

Steve

#2 ·
We would also like to invite those from nearby States for a great day in agruably the most beautiful part of Kansas.
Please cast your vote either for or against. We need to hear from you.
PM me if you wish!
Steve

#3 ·
I was thinking about that too, but wasn't sure, but considering the lack of us on here from KS it might not be a bad idea if we could get some OK, NE, and MO Ridgeline owners to come join us. If there were enough we could make it the two day event to make it worth the trip.

#6 ·
or about 300 miles to the Hills, depending on route.

#7 ·
I have an old CD by Bell and Shore with a song that goes:

Emmett loved Elly
Elly eloped with Emmett
They got married in a white stone church
In the Flint Hills of Kansas
They passed their time
Whiskey and wine
To get the nerve to tell their folks

And all in all they had it good
Life as solid as ironwood

It was 1967
The Year of No Decision
They were taking boys of drinking age
Emmett wore his uniform
Starched and buttoned down
The last time Elly saw him

#8 ·
I have an old CD by Bell and Shore with a song that goes:

Emmett loved Elly
Elly eloped with Emmett
They got married in a white stone church
They passed their time
Whiskey and wine
To get the nerve to tell their folks

And all in all they had it good
Life as solid as ironwood

It was 1967
The Year of No Decision
They were taking boys of drinking age
Emmett wore his uniform
Starched and buttoned down
The last time Elly saw him
Had no idea! From the web I see that Bell & Shore were at Winfield (Walnut Valley) Folk Festival in 1989. (I attended #1 & #2 in '72 '73)
As a side discussion, "boys of drinking age" would have been 18 in KS then (3.2% beer only). We who were 18 in 1967 didn't consider that of "drinking age." 18 to fight and die, 21 to vote and drink!
BTW, between Matfield Green and Cottonwood Falls is the wide spot known as Bazaar. Along K-177 highway (the proposed route of the run) is a little white stone school, church, meeting hall. Actually all old buildings in the Hills are made of stone.
The Flint Hills were very important to the Indian tribes in the area as almost all arrow and spear points were made from the abundant flint rock found there.

#10 ·
OK, that's three committed! We're on for sure. I'll put together some maps and get them out. Thanks for coming, jhawker23!:)

#11 ·
geotech, now you went and did it. I love the flinthills. I've spent many days driving the backroads of eastern Ks. Mostly in the Council Grove area. Lots of time in the Cassidy area hunting prairie chickens and fishing farm ponds. I really wish it was in the cards for me to make it. O well I guess I'll be there in spirit.:)

#12 ·
geotech, now you went and did it. I love the flinthills. I've spent many days driving the backroads of eastern Ks. Mostly in the Council Grove area. Lots of time in the Cassidy area hunting prairie chickens and fishing farm ponds. I really wish it was in the cards for me to make it. O well I guess I'll be there in spirit.:)
We will toast your spirit! Spoken as a true Kansan!!
The route we'll take will give us an excellent chance to see some of those elusive chickens! No bird like'um. :D

#14 ·
Has the date been confirmed? I did not know that this was Easter weekend. This could be a problem... I know that Sunday is definitely out for us. Depending on the route, I could possible make Saturday work for us. Have you determined the starting/ending location?

#15 ·
I didn't either. The route will be a triangle between Emporia, Cottonwood Falls (and Tallgrass Prairie) and Matfield Green. I'll make maps.
The 14th is out for both John32070 & myself. The 21st is good for me too, if the 7th doesn't work out. I pm'ed you both earlier today.

#17 ·
The meet will be centered on Cottonwood Falls (66845) as far north as Council Grove (66846) and Matfield Green (66862) to South.

I'm going on test drive this Saturday and will post maps immediately afterwards.

Steve

#18 ·
Just started a new Meet Thread under the Heartland heading. Please check it out. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.