Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently got a stain on the passenger side was wondering if anyone has any remedies or products to use on stains

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Please describe the stain better. Do you know what caused the stain? What material is it on? How big is it? Your question is too broad to answer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you are talking about a stain on the fabric, your first line of attack should always be with a clean washcloth and warm water only. for a grease stain you might try a small drop of dish detergent applied to the already wet washcloth.
good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fabric stain looks like water or some type of drink not dark though u can just see an outline of a puddle

·
Registered
265 Posts
lostboyz13 said:
fabric stain looks like water or some type of drink not dark though u can just see an outline of a puddle
I have noticed that the lighter colored seat material (I have a beige cloth interior) shows water spots. A few times when I exited the RL while it was raining, a few drops of water hit the seat area. The next day, the water was dry, but it left a spot. Similar to a water spot on your hood if you don't dry off your truck after washing. It seens the color "fastness" of the material is the problem. I got some Prestone foam fabric cleaner (red can, with a brush mounted to the top) worked well. Even took out an oil spot from a drop of mayo my nephew got on the back seat..........

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
First you need to identify what caused the stain. Carbona Stain Devils are the best line of stain removal products I know of. Use their chart at:
http://www.carbona.com/ to determine what to use.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll piggyback on this. The interior of my Steel Blue RL is giving me a problem, specifically the fabric: any little liquid, even water, stains it. The spot seem very "dark" and is noticeable. I'm thinking of taking it to the local detailing place to see if they can clean it all up. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Arune Singh said:
I'll piggyback on this. The interior of my Steel Blue RL is giving me a problem, specifically the fabric: any little liquid, even water, stains it. The spot seem very "dark" and is noticeable. I'm thinking of taking it to the local detailing place to see if they can clean it all up. Anyone else have this problem?
I noticed how prone the seats in my RT were to spotting the first couple days I had it; I think the culprit was Invisible Glass. Anyway, I had already tried and liked the 303 Protectant, so I went for their Fabric Cleaner and Fabric Guard as well. It wasn't enough of a spot to be a true test of the cleaner, but I took the hint and used the Fabric Guard on the entire interior, carpets and upholstery. I hadn't thought too much about it until I read your post, but I haven't noticed any more water spotting at all, and that was 6 months/9000 miles ago! My guess is the 303 has made the difference.

I have previously posted about how well the 303 Fabric Guard worked on my carpet. I had the rear passenger leak, and the intermittent water always just beaded up on top of the carpet and never soaked in. Another big test was just last nite, the milk leaked on the way home from the store, so I had about a 1/2 cup of milk spread around on the rear carpet, but when I went to soak it up, it hadn't soaked in very much at all. Paper towel absorbed it and the carpet was nearly dry to the touch. I just took a wet sponge for good measure, and I'm sure it's going to be fine.

I got their free kit, so now will have a chance to try the Spot Remover as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So if I go to my local auto shop and ask for 303 Fabric Guard and they'll know what I mean?

The stain-prone nature of the interior is really annoying me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Arune Singh said:
So if I go to my local auto shop and ask for 303 Fabric Guard and they'll know what I mean?

The stain-prone nature of the interior is really annoying me.
The 303 products appear to be more available at marine supply stores, maybe RV places.

I seem to remember the list of dealers per Smokey's suggestion is quite complete. That's how I found it.

Good luck and quit eating in the car....!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not to advertise or anything, but I am the Vice-President of a family business with six locations of dry cleaners and coin laundries.

Here is our website, it has plenty of info about stains, etc.

www.pridecleanersandlaunderers.com

Anything "food" oriented should be soaked with an ice cube or cool water (it keeps the stain from setting), and then dab/tamp it with a clean towel/napkin. NEVER RUB, EVER! It just works the stain in deeper!

Feel free to ask me anything else.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've used Scotch Gard on my Ridge's interior. It's almost a year old now with no stains. The rear seat is our standard Poodle's throne and it shows no problems.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
csimo: Thanks for the Carbona tip. Sent wife to Joann's fabrics to pick up a tube, used it on a grease stain on fabric seat (that I have not been able to get out with any other product including Griot's interior cleaner) - presto, stain gone!

I echo what's been said about 303 products. The Fabric Guard is great and so is the Aerospace Protectant. Can be purchased at West Marine and most large Ace Hardware stores.

·
Registered
41 Posts
farmguy said:
The 303 products appear to be more available at marine supply stores, maybe RV places.

I seem to remember the list of dealers per Smokey's suggestion is quite complete. That's how I found it.

Good luck and quit eating in the car....!
Between training to save lives, doing the rest of my school, becoming a better shot, daily gym trips, groceries...and school and a job, I have to ocassionally eat in the car. 'Tis life. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll chime in on this since I sell chemicals for a living including professional (read not sold in retail) carpet care chemicals. I'm not looking for people to contact me to get any of these items, but I will say to check out www.proschoice.com. If there's one thing they are known for it's their carpet spotters, alot of truckmount carpet cleaners will use their two products (Red Relief & Stain Magic) because they don't have time to mess around with stuff that doesn't work. Check 'em out, they're worth every penny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Scotch Gard?

I had Scotch Gard added when I first got my Ridgeline...I've noticed that there are water spots on the left arm rest and on the passenger seat and back seat...does this mean that they either didn't apply the gard correctly? or the Gard was faulty? or the Gard just can't protect against water....:( What should I do now?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Scotch Gard?

I had Scotch Gard added when I first got my Ridgeline...I've noticed that there are water spots on the left arm rest and on the passenger seat and back seat...does this mean that they either didn't apply the gard correctly? or the Gard was faulty? or the Gard just can't protect against water....:( What should I do now?

Scotchguard shouldn't leave a stain or water spots. It should be invisible once it's dried. Howver, it could be the person who applied it didn't apply it uniformally either. If it really bothers you, i would recommend extracting it with a carpet extractor with an upholstery tool attached. If it's true scotchguard, then that means it's water based and it will be gone with one cleaning.

If everything looks good to you after the fact i would recommend a product such as Guardman Carpetguard (also labeled "fiber something" in furniture stores - any furniture store worth their salt will know about Guardsman protectants). It's a solvent and will actually wick into the material giving better protection, plus it lasts through about four cleanings before you have to reapply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh Sorry, I mean these spots appeared after the fact of the scotch gard being applied. the passenger seat whenever tried to clean the spot just ended up getting bigger. eventually we used a small towel and wiped the whole seat cushion...actually not even sure if we got the spot out of if the whole chair is now just one big water spot. it's really annoying problem.

But in short, these spots appeared after the scotch gard was supposedly applied --> which was last summer when got the ridgeline in first place. thanks for the quick response btw! :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh Sorry, I mean these spots appeared after the fact of the scotch gard being applied. the passenger seat whenever tried to clean the spot just ended up getting bigger. eventually we used a small towel and wiped the whole seat cushion...actually not even sure if we got the spot out of if the whole chair is now just one big water spot. it's really annoying problem.

But in short, these spots appeared after the scotch gard was supposedly applied --> which was last summer when got the ridgeline in first place. thanks for the quick response btw! :)

so it appeared b/c of the scotchguard? Or you applied it and then something got the seat wet and left a spot?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts