Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who hate that Start/Stop feature, here's a possible fix. Someone with a 2020 needs to try it for Ridgeline.
I first saw it used on GM trucks and now it also seems to work on other makes.
Buy a seven contact trailer light tester. It's just like a round trailer light connector, but has LEDs to verify the lighting circuits. Plug it
in the light connector and, no more Start/Stop!
Be sure to post your finding. ?

·
Premium Member
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
34 Posts
Well my 2020 has a button right there below the drive button. Seems a lot easier to just hit that. Not sure why anyone dislikes saving gas/money at a stoplight. It does not hinder my driving in any way so far. Many people, it seems, dislike it. I haven't seen any valid reasoning for this.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Well my 2020 has a button right there below the drive button. Seems a lot easier to just hit that. Not sure why anyone dislikes saving gas/money at a stoplight. It does not hinder my driving in any way so far. Many people, it seems, dislike it. I haven't seen any valid reasoning for this.
Some folks are pretty particular about their AC. Not a big deal this time of year, but could be an issue Jun - Sep.

·
Registered
786 Posts
For those who hate that Start/Stop feature, here's a possible fix. Someone with a 2020 needs to try it for Ridgeline.
I first saw it used on GM trucks and now it also seems to work on other makes.
Buy a seven contact trailer light tester. It's just like a round trailer light connector, but has LEDs to verify the lighting circuits. Plug it
in the light connector and, no more Start/Stop!
Be sure to post your finding. ?
That does not work on the Honda's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wander if you could fool the engine temp guage in to thinking it is cooler than it is if it would not let it stop-start?

·
Premium Member
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
34 Posts
I wonder if you could fool the engine temp gauge into thinking it is cooler than it is if it would not let it stop-start?
Again, Why not just push the button that is designed to disable this function. Am I missing something here?

john

·
Registered
24 Posts
So far, the start-stop has been pretty good about not shutting down the engine when it’s cold out and the heater is running (as the manual says). We‘ll see how it works when summer rolls around.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wander if you could fool the engine temp guage in to thinking it is cooler than it is if it would not let it stop-start?
That's what the VCM defeat devices do, but it has no effect on engine idle stop function.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think that there is probably a valid reason for it if so many people dislike it. :)

For me, it's an unnecessary gimmick put in place simply to game the EPA's tests to determine MPG ratings. In real life, it will save you a few pennies a month. Maybe. It affects climate control and adds needless complexity. I'd have less of a problem with it if the default was "off" and the "feature" could be switched on if the driver thinks it's a good idea.

One of the reasons that I went with a 2019 Sport was to avoid stop/start and all of the unnecessary "safety" nannies that, in reality, tend to lull one into complacency while driving. I don't need a computer to drive the truck for me. And I'll never have to worry about dropping $800 on a sensor that ain't there. Or a glitch in the stop/start system that leaves me dead in the water at a busy intersection.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
192 Posts
Again, Why not just push the button that is designed to disable this function. Am I missing something here?
john
Yeah I don't get it either. Pushing the little S/S Idle button after I select D/S is second nature to me.

At least one doesn't have to go through multiple menu selections on a touch screen to do so (like Subaru). Be thankful that Honda did it right.

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
Models with idle stop have a brake booster pressure sensor that is used to prevent the engine from stopping if there's insufficient vacuum in the brake booster to maintain brake pressure.

If you disconnect the hose from this sensor and plug it or simulate a low vacuum level, you'll get an "Auto Engine Idle Stop System Problem" message and warning light, but the engine will no longer stop.

It may be possible to simulate a low-but-varying vacuum signal to prevent the idle stop system from stopping the engine without any warning messages or indicators.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some folks are pretty particular about their AC. Not a big deal this time of year, but could be an issue Jun - Sep.
when it restarts it shakes,reminds me of having a car that stalls at a red light,when you disable idle stop,it turns on a orange light on your instrument panel and again it reminds me of having a old car with idiot lights on in an old junkie car.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
102 Posts
One wonders how much longer the Starter Motor will last when Start/Stop is consistently disabled? I don't like Start/Stop at all. OTOH, in Germany it's a Federal Law that Vehicles stopped at Railroad Crossings (Gates in down position) must shut off the Engine until the Gates return to up position ...that makes sense to me and might be a good idea here as well.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There is honestly a $10 and 30 min solution. Not worth fretting over what to do if you want auto stop/start to be OFF by default. This mod fixes permanently.

Easily removable if desired. Keeps the function but starts in OFF vs ON. I Did this within a couple weeks of getting my 2020. Don't even think about it anymore.

Ironically, I sometimes turn ON Stop/Start when in a long drive through line courtesy of the pandemic.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
34 Posts
Is there a way to delay the auto stop/start feature to activate 3-5 seconds after you stop? I notice my RTL-E will shut off as I pull into my garage and stop then restart once I put it into park.

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
Is there a way to delay the auto stop/start feature to activate 3-5 seconds after you stop? I notice my RTL-E will shut off as I pull into my garage and stop then restart once I put it into park.
No - the delay cannot be changed.

When pulling into your garage, just press the START/STOP button to shut the engine off before shifting to park. The transmission will automatically shift to park.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,905 Posts
My barber has a new Toyota with the stop/start feature. He hates that feature. Told me he's found a way to defeat it by only lightly pressing on the brake pedal. Says he gets a message to press harder... but says he ignores the message and doesn't have to fiddle with the defeat button every time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is honestly a $10 and 30 min solution. Not worth fretting over what to do if you want auto stop/start to be OFF by default. This mod fixes permanently.

Easily removable if desired. Keeps the function but starts in OFF vs ON. I Did this within a couple weeks of getting my 2020. Don't even think about it anymore.

Ironically, I sometimes turn ON Stop/Start when in a long drive through line courtesy of the pandemic.

What's the fix you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
This is the link (just above in the thread). The procedure by Chipworkz at Piloteers is the way to go to reverse the ON/OFF sequence of auto stop/start each time your start your G2. I've stopped thinking about it because it is so seemless and so simple.

For all the usual warnings about mods, you really can't mess this up. My biggest suggestion is hook the FRM module up to a 12 volt source and program it before you take it to the RL to install. It is cheap, simple and easy to reverse or remove.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts