Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
1 Posts
There is honestly a $10 and 30 min solution. Not worth fretting over what to do if you want auto stop/start to be OFF by default. This mod fixes permanently.

Easily removable if desired. Keeps the function but starts in OFF vs ON. I Did this within a couple weeks of getting my 2020. Don't even think about it anymore.

Ironically, I sometimes turn ON Stop/Start when in a long drive through line courtesy of the pandemic.

Please send me the information to get this $10 solution. I'm a GA State Certified CDL Trainer who feels the slight delay in starting the engine is enough to cause a potential problem when pulling out into heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Please send me the information to get this $10 solution. I'm a GA State Certified CDL Trainer who feels the slight delay in starting the engine is enough to cause a potential problem when pulling out into heavy traffic.
This thread got kind of spread out and keep in mind, this is for the G2 RL, Pilot and Passport. The models without a wireless charger are easier as the key is access to a 12v switched power source. The info is in ROC but here is a direct link to the most condensed post on Piloteers: Automatic Auto Idle Stop System set to Off by default...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think that there is probably a valid reason for it if so many people dislike it. :)

For me, it's an unnecessary gimmick put in place simply to game the EPA's tests to determine MPG ratings. In real life, it will save you a few pennies a month. Maybe. It affects climate control and adds needless complexity. I'd have less of a problem with it if the default was "off" and the "feature" could be switched on if the driver thinks it's a good idea.

One of the reasons that I went with a 2019 Sport was to avoid stop/start and all of the unnecessary "safety" nannies that, in reality, tend to lull one into complacency while driving. I don't need a computer to drive the truck for me. And I'll never have to worry about dropping $800 on a sensor that ain't there. Or a glitch in the stop/start system that leaves me dead in the water at a busy intersection.
I tracked it carefully on my wife's 2021 Acura RDX - mileage actually dropped with the Stop/Start engaged full time. It needs to be an OFF BY DEFAULT/ON BY CHOICE feature. Otherwise, it's completely useless.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I tracked it carefully on my wife's 2021 Acura RDX - mileage actually dropped with the Stop/Start engaged full time. It needs to be an OFF BY DEFAULT/ON BY CHOICE feature. Otherwise, it's completely useless.
That seems very counter-intuitive. Did you come up with any theories on why it worked out that way?

·
Registered
204 Posts
That seems very counter-intuitive. Did you come up with any theories on why it worked out that way?
No, I found it quite perplexing and counter-intuitive as well. Same distance driven (garage to garage), same speeds (posted), same day (up and back on 1.5 hour trip). 100 Flat road...indentical conditions.....it wasn't much worse - maybe .1/.2 miles - but it certainly for a fact was not better. While it is almost impossible isolate the Start/Stop mileage improvement, if any, in real world driving, I contend that any benefit is so imperceptively small that it renders the feature much more of an annoyance than improvement or benefit. Must be some global warmers at the car company that got bonuses and dougnuts for putting it in.

·
Registered
688 Posts
No, I found it quite perplexing and counter-intuitive as well. Same distance driven (garage to garage), same speeds (posted), same day (up and back on 1.5 hour trip). 100 Flat road...indentical conditions.....it wasn't much worse - maybe .1/.2 miles - but it certainly for a fact was not better. While it is almost impossible isolate the Start/Stop mileage improvement, if any, in real world driving, I contend that any benefit is so imperceptively small that it renders the feature much more of an annoyance than improvement or benefit. Must be some global warmers at the car company that got bonuses and dougnuts for putting it in.
Thanks for explaining the circumstances. I suspect that the benefits to it are skewed heavily to city driving where you might spend a fairly significant amount of time waiting at stop lights. I wouldn't ming having it for that reason if it defaulted to off and I could enable it on the fly when I was in those situations. I try to avoid those when possible so it's not that common for me, but there have been days where it would probably have made a lot of sense.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for explaining the circumstances. I suspect that the benefits to it are skewed heavily to city driving where you might spend a fairly significant amount of time waiting at stop lights. I wouldn't ming having it for that reason if it defaulted to off and I could enable it on the fly when I was in those situations. I try to avoid those when possible so it's not that common for me, but there have been days where it would probably have made a lot of sense.
Well, if you think about, much of the wear and stress on an engine is when it starts (I think, I am not a mechanic).....seems to me that doing it 10-20x more than normal is not really conducive to engine health.

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts
Well, if you think about, much of the wear and stress on an engine is when it starts (I think, I am not a mechanic).....seems to me that doing it 10-20x more than normal is not really conducive to engine health.
Cold starts (i.e., first start in the morning after the vehicle has been sitting all night) cause the most wear. The gasoline engines in hybrid vehicles stop and restart even more often than gasoline engines with automatic idle stop and they don't seem to have engine problems. The engines restart long before they cool off and all the oil drains back to the sump.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cold starts (i.e., first start in the morning after the vehicle has been sitting all night) cause the most wear. The gasoline engines in hybrid vehicles stop and restart even more often than gasoline engines with automatic idle stop and they don't seem to have engine problems. The engines restart long before they cool off and all the oil drains back to the sump.
Yeah, don't disagree at all.......my biggest gripe is simply the noticeable stuttering when the engine restarts. It is "disconcerting".

·
Registered
204 Posts
Aha......
"Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the Environmental Protection Agency. If the vehicle’s stop/start system is nonlatching and automatically turns on whenever you start the car, the EPA’s fuel-economy test results will be calculated only when the system is engaged. But if a vehicle’s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicle’s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when it’s off. The EPA then averages the two tests for a resulting fuel-economy rating found on the car’s window sticker—which is certain to be lower.
Since stop/start is estimated to boost fuel economy by 4 to 5 percent using the EPA test cycle, according to Buick, obviously it has a positive effect on the fuel-economy rating. Carmakers who have nonlatching stop/start systems also qualify for additional “off cycle” emissions credits from the EPA, and those can be applied to meet their overall targets for Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards."

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts
So, automakers receive emissions credits for installing a feature that actually saves fuel. Brilliant! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Again, Why not just push the button that is designed to disable this function. Am I missing something here?

john
If I may offer one use case, I drive around a lot for my work, with many stops after short drives throughout the day, necessitating remembering to hit the button each startup. I encounter many traffic circles/roundabouts in my neck of the woods. I have slowed to yield at one, not realizing I had neglected to hit the button at my last startup, and had the engine stop just as I was about to get back on the gas to exploit an opening in traffic, resulting in me missing the opportunity and waiting for the next. I don't dislike the feature in some cases, I just wish, like many, that the system allowed you to select its default option (on or off) and the button existed to toggle. If so, in my case I would set off by default, and use the button to enable when using the truck in a non-work drive.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
299 Posts
Since my previous post I discovered that driving in "S" mode, which I drive in all the time since I bought mine in April 2020, disables auto start/stop 100% without having to press buttons or view annoying yellow lights or buying sketch third party gizmos. And yes the 9 will shift in S without using the paddles...

A neat little RL secret few seem to find out about because they're stuck in "D" all the time... You're welcome :)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
311 Posts
Or, you could just press the button! I do it. Every time I start my truck...it's automatic.

·
Registered
2020 BE
62 Posts
When I do use the idle/stop feature (commute traffic) about 2 seconds before I am able to proceed I simply jostle the steering wheel for a restart without taking my foot off the brake. Also, you have a minimum speed (3 mph) that needs to be reached each time you move or the system will not shut down.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts