Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the title is weird and so is my question. So my neighbor down the street who convinced me to purchase a ridgeline was in the middle of doing a timing belt job, well rather his dad. The dad is a retired dissel mechanic, he tells me for some reason he left the keyway out of the crankshaft sprocket while trying to turn the motor over after installing the new belt oh and he used the starter to do so. Yeah I know.... My personal experience is with b series and k series motors, j series is pretty newish to me. The dad is now convinced that he bent a valve in his process of cranking the motor, so is it possible for the crankshaft to spin while the sprocket is stationary? I've never seen nor heard someone turning the motor over using the starter in that fashion. Forgive me if my story is all over the place...

·
Registered
682 Posts
if it's an interference engine (the ridgeline is) then the valves can hit the pistons.

sounds like this is what happened to your neighbor

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
If he left the key out of the keyway, then yes it's possible for the sprocket to turn while the shaft stays still, and will result in the valves & pistons losing their timing relationship, with Bad Things happening.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
Oops!

What's that, doc? :eek:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well....somebody correct me if im wrong.... But if the key way was left out of the crankshaft timing sprocket...the crankshaft would have spun without turning the gear.....thus not turning the camshafts and if the cams were at TDC....everything should be ok? This is assuming the crankshaft pulley had not been installed yet...cause after tightening down the pulley...it probably would have sandwiched the timing gear tight enough to spin.

Did he say it made a bunch of noise or what is causing you to ask this quetsion?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
I assume the pulley in question is the crankshaft timing belt drive pulley. Seems to me that if the key was left out, the crank would spin, but the valves would not move, and any valves extending into the cylinder risk being hit by the pistons (which are attached to the crank).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well....somebody correct me if im wrong.... But if the key way was left out of the crankshaft timing sprocket...the crankshaft would have spun without turning the gear.....thus not turning the camshafts and if the cams were at TDC....everything should be ok? This is assuming the crankshaft pulley had not been installed yet...cause after tightening down the pulley...it probably would have sandwiched the timing gear tight enough to spin.

Did he say it made a bunch of noise or what is causing you to ask this quetsion?
You are correct but for only one cylinder. All the valves for all the cylinders can't be closed at the same time.

Generally a starter won't spin fast enough and with enough force to bend a valve, usually......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess last night concurs with ya'lls answers. No he did not have the pulley on, he simply slapped on the new belt/tensionor/water pump ect ect and instead of turning the motor over by hand he used the starter with no KEYWAY. update: the son is mad lol what his dad tried to help him avoid he caused, bent valves... Dad is flipping the cost for new valves, and labor $ for me to re-assemble. I really do feel bad for his dad, $150 in labor will ezzz the pain. Will post some pics this week...

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Yes the starter is strong enough to bend valves and if the crank is turning and not the pulley, then yes the piston will hit the valves. Pistons are moving up and down and valves are stationary. More damage is done in an interference engine by trying to restart it when a timing belt breaks. What's the first thing everyone does when your engine quits? Try and restart it.

BTW, the KEYWAY is the slot in which the KEY fits in, so his dad left out the key and not the keyway.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Tell him not to get too mad at his dad. Everyone makes mistakes.

It's just that some mistakes are more expensive than others...
;)

Chip H.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You are correct but for only one cylinder. All the valves for all the cylinders can't be closed at the same time.

Generally a starter won't spin fast enough and with enough force to bend a valve, usually......
Ah yes. Had a brain fart. TDC will be only for cylinder 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts