Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 06 rtl 88k just started a rumble/fluttering noise from under the hood only while the the starter is engaged, mainly toward the last rotation or two of the starter just before the engine starts... im pretty sure its only a starter issue...

i searched the site and really didnt see any other similar experiences..

just wondering if anyone else has heard of anything similar ..thanks

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,601 Posts
Sounds like a starter issue or motor mounts issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the video..

im thinking the starter itself also...motor mounts look good..had the front motor mount replaced under cpo about 15k miles or about 4 years ago..

will let you know what i find next week when i am back in town.and always open to suggestions..thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Does it sound like the starter stays engaged after the engine starts and you let the key off? If so, that's a very common problem on MDXs and Pilots of that era. Our 2005 MDX had that problem. The solution is to remove the starter and grease the Bendix drive area. The gear does not spring back into its retracted position due to getting sticky/residue over time, etc.

It's generally not a problem that leads to part failure, but it is annoying...if this is the cause of your noise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it sound like the starter stays engaged after the engine starts and you let the key off? If so, that's a very common problem on MDXs and Pilots of that era. Our 2005 MDX had that problem. The solution is to remove the starter and grease the Bendix drive area. The gear does not spring back into its retracted position due to getting sticky/residue over time, etc.

It's generally not a problem that leads to part failure, but it is annoying...if this is the cause of your noise.
Makes sense and sounds very possible...thanks for the input....will let you know what it turns out to be...thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts