Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My new to me 2013 RTL is acting strange. Several times now when I turn the key, it turns over like it’s going to start but it doesn’t. If I turn the key back to start and turn it again, it fires up perfectly. My mechanic supposedly checked the starter and battery last week and couldn’t duplicate the issue. Any thoughts on what this could be? I’m wondering if it’s a loose spark plug?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
So the engine spins over but doesn't catch? Sounds like fuel or fire... but then it catches and runs on the 2nd attempt?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. If it doesn’t catch on the first then I turn it a second time and it always goes. I’ve been playing with turning the key to the power position then cranking and it’s been fine. Maybe a fuel pump issue?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
Yes. If it doesn’t catch on the first then I turn it a second time and it always goes. I’ve been playing with turning the key to the power position then cranking and it’s been fine. Maybe a fuel pump issue?
Possibly. I tend to turn the key to the ign position and wait for the fuel pump to settle down before I crank up my Ridgeline. So not sure if you have a fuel pump issue or a pressure leakdown issue. If allowing the fuel pump to prime before starting works reliably, you might consider that a fix, but I think it should still start without having to wait.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree it should start without pause of the key in the “acc“ or “run” positions. I don’t recall that there’s a ‘common’ point of failure between fuel pump, injectors, and pressure regulator. That is to say, I don’t recall any of those as a weak point on the G1.

Check fuel pressure, and look to one of the above (leaky injector, flaky pressure regulator or relief valve, and fuel pump). My guess would be an injector is leaking a bit, but that’s purely a guess.

If pausing with the key at the “on” position prior to turning it all the way to “start” is a reliable fix, you have a leak somewhere. If it is not a fix, then there is a different problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts