Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I posted a while back in regards to this problem, but the problem isn't resolved. I hope someone can share some insight/knowledge with me!

I have a 2007 Ridgeline (loaded, except for nav) 74,000 km. This truck is originally a US model truck but I bought it at a dealership here in Canada in 2007.

My Ridgeline is starting AWFUL! However, it only starts awful in the first initial start of the day and only when it is cold out (4 degrees Celsius and colder). So this problem is temperature related

When you go to start it, it cranks and cranks and will not start. Then when you let off the key and try starting again a few seconds later it will start up... It turns over fine, not slow. When it is really cold out (-20 Celsius and colder) when it does start is will stumble a little bit. Last year during our super crazy cold snap it brought up an engine code (cylinder 4 & 6 misfired). I have erased them and they haven't came back.

This problem gets worse with the colder temperatures here in Canada. However... this problem only happens on the initial start of the day! After we fight to get the truck running in the am, it is good for the rest of the day and starts up like a dream all the rest of the times.

Things that have been tried -
New battery (actually we tried two)
New spark plugs
Temp sensors
They even tried replacing the ignition switch, thinking it had something to do with that.

I have tried the flicking the key over (but not to starting) to let the fuel system pressure up before turning the ignition, but that doesn't work.

I have tried putting gas pedal to floor while cranking, doesn't work either.

Our local Honda dealership is awful and actually is known across a couple of provinces for their terrible service and for taking advantage of their customers... so I really do not want to go to them. Not to mention I do not have warranty as I had this truck (1 year old) brought into Canada from the States. (I was 19 when I bought my truck and didn't want truck payments... so please no rude comments about not buying in Canada).

This is the second winter this has happened and it seems to be getting worse. It used to not want to start when the weather was -10... but now it doesn't want to start at 4 or 5 degrees.

I park the truck outside all night.... it doesn't make a difference if the truck is plugging in or not (block heater was checked and it works as well).

The truck runs and starts great all summer, and runs awesome even in the winter, it just HATES starting in the morning.

I have tried a bottle of injector cleaner previously, but I am going to try another bottle here soon.

Is there anything that I am missing to why my truck doesn't want to start in on the first initial cold start of the day and only when the temperature outside is colder.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Do you have a friend with a heated garage that they'd be willing to let you try for a couple of nights?

Chip H.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - We do and when its warm inside the garage it starts great.

Its -16 Celsius today and my truck pretty much hated life today and didnt want to start what so ever. It cranked and cranked and cranked. When it finally did start it was happy.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,299 Posts
That issue doesn't ring a bell with me. If all else fails, I think I'd run a can of Sea Foam through your fuel system. Hopefully someone here will have an idea for you.

Once you get the RL running in the morning, does it have a chance to cool off to ambient at any time during the day? If so, you don't have any issue starting later in the day after it has cooled down when the OAT is cold?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This issue is kicking my butt :(

I have got the truck to running temperature and have had it sit for a while and it will start later on in the day fine.

Its -15/-17 today... how long would I need to let the truck sit before it gets to ambient temp again? (Maybe I havent let it sit long enough to give you an accurate answer)

·
Super Moderator
23,299 Posts
-15*c is about 5*f. I would think 3 or 4 hours would be more than enough time for the RL to return to ambient temps.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
What it sounds like is that it's flooded. Which is usually caused when parked overnight, by a gummed-up or sticking injector.

I would run some Techron treatment through 3 successive tanks of gas.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
23,299 Posts
Wonder if this is a similar problem to what Papabear is experiencing up at the North Pole? ;)

Which reminds me that I haven't seen any updates from him lately.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Wonder if this is a similar problem to what Papabear is experiencing up at the North Pole? ;)

Which reminds me that I haven't seen any updates from him lately.
It sounds similar.

·
Super Moderator
23,299 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After more reading and talking to some technicians and other posts I had the Honda dealership put a new relay in... they said that it could possibly be a result of when the cabin temperature gets too cold that the relay isn't completing it's circuit.

Im going to cross my fingers and toes that this is the culprit. I will know tomorrow morning.

I have tried fuel injector cleaner in the truck before - but it didn't help. But I picked up a couple bottles today to just try over the next few tanks of gas.

If my injectors were leaking, wouldn't they cause my truck to flood and have the same starting problems, even in the summer months when the temperatures are warmer here? (20-30 degrees Celsius).

Thank you for posting the link to Papabears thread. It seems similar in the sense that my truck has some stubborn problem. But my truck still runs... After I get it started in the am it runs like a charm all day. Even after it sits for a few hours.

In regards to Papabears thread - where is the cold start sensor? Does anyone know?

Thanks again for all your help. I desperately need this problem fixed. With kids depending on me, my husband working often away from the house and being northern Canada and cold temperatures for half the year - it is a headache having this problem.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If this were my truck I would measure fuel rail pressure in the morning before any attempt to start the engine. The measurement here would direct me to the next logical step.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel pressure is good in the am.

I was told by a different forum that it could maybe be the fuel pressure regulator sticking so it is not giving the injectors enough fuel to spark but still giving a good fuel pressure reading...

or the crank sensor causing lack of spark.

Does either of these things make sense to my problem...?

·
Super Moderator
23,299 Posts
dixiemay22,

I suspect this issue will be pretty tough to diagnose over the internet. Do you have a trusted mechanic/garage close by? If so, I suggest you bring it to them for help. And please post back to let us know what the problem is and what you have to do to fix it.

One thing I thought I'd run past you.. just in case. At one time I had a GM diesel powered Oldsmobile. I drove it on a trip and parked it in a garage during a cold winter night and plugged the block heater in. The next day, it just about didn't start. What I didn't realize is that the outlet I used for the block heater was switched. So when I turned off the garage light, I also cut power to the outlet.

Do you know for sure that your block heater is getting power?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Fuel pressure is good in the am.

I was told by a different forum that it could maybe be the fuel pressure regulator sticking so it is not giving the injectors enough fuel to spark but still giving a good fuel pressure reading...

or the crank sensor causing lack of spark.

Does either of these things make sense to my problem...?
Kind of sort of.
The pressure regulator part could be true, but the crank sensor with usually trip a trouble code.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there,

I posted a while back in regards to this problem, but the problem isn't resolved. I hope someone can share some insight/knowledge with me!

I have a 2007 Ridgeline (loaded, except for nav) 74,000 km. This truck is originally a US model truck but I bought it at a dealership here in Canada in 2007.

My Ridgeline is starting AWFUL! However, it only starts awful in the first initial start of the day and only when it is cold out (4 degrees Celsius and colder). So this problem is temperature related

When you go to start it, it cranks and cranks and will not start. Then when you let off the key and try starting again a few seconds later it will start up... It turns over fine, not slow. When it is really cold out (-20 Celsius and colder) when it does start is will stumble a little bit. Last year during our super crazy cold snap it brought up an engine code (cylinder 4 & 6 misfired). I have erased them and they haven't came back.

This problem gets worse with the colder temperatures here in Canada. However... this problem only happens on the initial start of the day! After we fight to get the truck running in the am, it is good for the rest of the day and starts up like a dream all the rest of the times.

Things that have been tried -
New battery (actually we tried two)
New spark plugs
Temp sensors
They even tried replacing the ignition switch, thinking it had something to do with that.

I have tried the flicking the key over (but not to starting) to let the fuel system pressure up before turning the ignition, but that doesn't work.

I have tried putting gas pedal to floor while cranking, doesn't work either.

Our local Honda dealership is awful and actually is known across a couple of provinces for their terrible service and for taking advantage of their customers... so I really do not want to go to them. Not to mention I do not have warranty as I had this truck (1 year old) brought into Canada from the States. (I was 19 when I bought my truck and didn't want truck payments... so please no rude comments about not buying in Canada).

This is the second winter this has happened and it seems to be getting worse. It used to not want to start when the weather was -10... but now it doesn't want to start at 4 or 5 degrees.

I park the truck outside all night.... it doesn't make a difference if the truck is plugging in or not (block heater was checked and it works as well).

The truck runs and starts great all summer, and runs awesome even in the winter, it just HATES starting in the morning.

I have tried a bottle of injector cleaner previously, but I am going to try another bottle here soon.

Is there anything that I am missing to why my truck doesn't want to start in on the first initial cold start of the day and only when the temperature outside is colder.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Very interesting and I’m sorry that you are experiencing that situation
I bought an 2006 Ridgeline in May of this year and it must have been a lemon :/
I kept putting money in it and the final situation occurred 2 weeks ago .
It was a cold morning .....only 47 degrees and I’d start my truck and it sounded like I needed power steering fluid. A loud and grinding noise however it would stop after I drove it 2-3 miles. I consulted a mechanic and he said it’s the power steering box and it would cost $1500.00 so I sold it and I got a bought 2010 Ridgeline just last Thursday.
And Friday am I got in it to go to work and unbelievable the same situation occurred
😮❗it was making that same exact sound/noise 😡😡and it stops after 2-3 miles of driving it 😮😮😡❗
I did call the dealer and he the device manager said he’s never heard of that
:((( I will record this situation occurring tomorrow am
Anyone experiencing this situation and can someone please advise. I would deeply appreciate !
Thank you in advance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts