Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2008 ridgeline with a starting problem. I went out to start it and nothing happened. The radio and lights work but when I turn the key I don't hear the engine try to turn over.

A new battery didn't solve the problem. It was outside in very cold weather, -20ish.

Any suggestions on what's wrong would be fantastic!

Thank you,

John

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I started to post an hour ago on my iPad but realized it didn't know my password.

Make sure you are firmly in Park. Try Neutral. Check other end of both battery cables for corrosion. What does the anti-theft key display on the dash show? (if flashing it still should turn over, just not start).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thand for the response!

Battery connections seem good, firmly in park, and the security key light isn't an issue

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you hear a wizzing noise from the starter? If so it is most likely the starter solenoid is stuck closed because of the low temp. Have someone give it a smack with a hammer as you try to start it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try it! I moved it into my garage and let it sit for a day in the warm. Once that started to locked up will heat thaw it?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
First thing I thought of was the starter. Did you get this issue resolved?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The only way to effectively diagnose starting issues is as simple as a volt meter.

Since you already replaced battery, test voltage at starter. With key in START position, you should have 12v at the power wire (large terminal) and the B+ (small terminal). If you do, you're likely dealing with a starter issue. If not, start tracing back until you lose 12v and the step before is likely your issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts