Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an afternoon muddin' through some pits about an 1hr north of T.O., a high pitched whine could be herd at low speeds and even at idle. I cannot recall if i herd this noise start before or after i pressured washed the car and engine.
After numerous visits under the hood im positive the sound is coming from the steering pump. The problem is, there is nothing wrong with my steering! No tightness or looseness in turning what so ever.
One mechanic freind of mine said the noise could be coming from "strouds" from my exhaust? Not sure what anyone thinks of this one?
The whine itself follows the rev's. Now with the colder temperatures beginning, its god awful noticable at idle in the mornings.
The only way i knew i had an issue was to compare it to another ridgeline motor and sure enough, my motor sounded like that before that afternoon.
Any one got any ideas for me?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Strouds? I think he means 'shrouds' or heat shields. But it beyond me how those could whine. Might use a flexible tube you can put to your ear and place on the pump, etc. and see if you can locate the sound more accurately.

Many things mechanical will make noises before failing, the fact your steering is okay does not mean it is not a warning sign. I would expect the alternator to be more likely to whine. You might need a mechanic to put a stethescope to your pump and other components to isolate the source of noise. I would not let it go too far without finding out what it is.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Make sue it's not just the belt making the noise. Spray some water on the belt while it running and see if the noise changes.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Make sue it's not just the belt making the noise. Spray some water on the belt while it running and see if the noise changes.
Good point!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
My '06...106K...now makes a whine but only when I turn right. Why?
When is the last time the rear diff fluid was changed? Sounds wierd but other on here say that if it isn't changed when it should be it can cause steering noises. Also try draining, flushing and refilling the power steering system with the recommend type of fluid as spelled out in the owners manual.
Worst case could be the pump, or rack going out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts