Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 2011 about two months ago. Anybody know what would cause a steering wheel to become cockeyed. I thought it was so I put a strait edge on the front of the wheel and sure enough the strait edge lined up with one door handle and misses the other by about 1 1/2” just had new rack and pinion and 4 wheel alinement. I looked underneath and no evidence of damage. I want as much info as possible before going back to mechanic so I don’t steered wrong. No pun intended. If this rings any bells, I sure would appreciate some knowledgeable insight.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
Perhaps they didn't have the steering wheel positioned properly when they did the alignment.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
They should be able to take care of that at the shop where you got the alignment done. My son has lifetime alignments for his car from TiresPlus. Unfortunately, they rarely get the proper spec on the alignment.

I figured a lifetime alignment meant free alignments for as long as you own the vehicle, but I think with TiresPlus it means it will take a lifetime for them to get it correct.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think you didn’t understand my post. Maybe it’s they way I said It. Reread it and let me know if you see what I’m saying. I’m not saying the steering wheel is left of center I’m say the left side of the wheel is closer to my chest and the right side is farther. It’s not perpendicular to my body

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
Was the steering wheel 'cockeyed' in the way you mean before the front-end work was done?

The 'cockeye' you're describing has to do with the mounting of the steering column and steering wheel support to the main dash structure / crossmember inside the cabin, IMO. All that having nothing to do with, and nothing that would be touched when doing a 'normal' replacement of a steering rack or 'alignment' of the front-end (in my other-than-Honda experience).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the steering wheel 'cockeyed' in the way you mean before the front-end work was done?

The 'cockeye' you're describing has to do with the mounting of the steering column and steering wheel support to the main dash structure / crossmember inside the cabin, IMO. All that having nothing to do with, and nothing that would be touched when doing a 'normal' replacement of a steering rack or 'alignment' of the front-end (in my other-than-Honda experience).
Yes it was already like that before the rack and alignment. I was originally taking it in because of pull to the right and steering wheel slightly left of center when going strait. Day before taking it to the shop I noticed the wheel seemed to be not truly perpendicular to me. It’s like this when I turn into a parking spot and palm the wheel to turn quickly as I rotate the wheel it moves away from my palm as if rotate to the left.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yes it was already like that before the rack and alignment.
Given that, it sounds like you've got no 'beef' with the folks that did the likely unrelated (for reasons stated above) front-end work but maybe they can look into it for you? I've got no other suggestions.

I just put a long straightedge to my G2 and it's perpendicular to the vehicle centerline, maybe others can check their G1s.

Good Luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate to be the one to say this, but it sounds as though the vehicle had been wrecked and rebuilt before you bought it. Maybe take it to a good body ship and have them check for frame misalignment ?
I wouldn’t say that’s not possible but the dealership that did the rack and alignment says there’s no evidence of a collision. I’m thinking maybe one of the front wheels took impact, hard curb hit or the like. So no frame Damage but possibly suspension parts got bent.

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
I think you didn’t understand my post. Maybe it’s they way I said It. Reread it and let me know if you see what I’m saying. I’m not saying the steering wheel is left of center I’m say the left side of the wheel is closer to my chest and the right side is farther. It’s not perpendicular to my body
I certainly did misread your initial post. I can't say I've ever encountered such a scenario.

If you put a straight edge across the wheel, how much is it off over a specified distance and which direction is it canted?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I certainly did misread your initial post. I can't say I've ever encountered such a scenario.

If you put a straight edge across the wheel, how much is it off over a specified distance and which direction is it canted?
The strait edge flat against the wheel o the left it lines pretty much up right on the back of the driver side door handle. The other end of the strait edge is about 1 1/4” behind the passenger side door handle. Based on a simple examination of the frame under the truck, it looks pristine. No evidence of a collision. The mechanic at the dealership concurs. Someone suggested taking it to a body shop for critical measuring, which is a good idea. If it’s not the frame then it could have taken a hit to the wheel, causing damage to linkages and it ball joints. I could live with it I guess but I suspect it will cause premature tire ware and perhaps other problems.
I love the truck and plan to see it through and will post the resolution if/when I have one. haha it’s a real Charlie Brown issue, good grief!

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
So if I understand correctly, the 9 o'clock position is closer to the driver than the 3 o'clock position. How much is the variance, from the left side of the wheel to the right side? 1/2 inch or so?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So if I understand correctly, the 9 o'clock position is closer to the driver than the 3 o'clock position. How much is the variance, from the left side of the wheel to the right side? 1/2 inch or so?
You got the idea but backwards.
/- Illustration is wheel and column
Variance one side of wheel to other a little more than 1/4”

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
I'm not sure if I would notice a 1/4 inch variance or not. But I'm curious now and will have to put a straight edge on my steering wheel!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Hmmm, we are talking about how the steering wheel aligns with the face of the dash. Then how it aligns with the drivers seat. I have never noticed any differences in alignment with the rest of the interior. I have driven farm vehicles with steering wheels completely offset.

I will have to get out my 48" straightedge and see how Honda aligned the cabin. You would think after driving it 325,000 miles, that I should have noticed something was off in alignment in the cab.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, we are talking about how the steering wheel aligns with the face of the dash. Then how it aligns with the drivers seat. I have never noticed any differences in alignment with the rest of the interior. I have driven farm vehicles with steering wheels completely offset.

I will have to get out my 48" straightedge and see how Honda aligned the cabin. You would think after driving it 325,000 miles, that I should have noticed something was off in alignment in the cab.
I think you will find it is square with the cabin. But please get back to me with your findings. I would appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
I would never be able to take that measurement accurately. My body is no longer rectangular but more oblong now.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Referring to assembly diagram from this page.

Methinks that your problem may be isolated solely to the upper steering column alignment .... either it's mounting point(s) to the dash structure or the dash structure itself (displacement of those mounting points).

Not enough detail on the above linked parts fiche page to tell but I'd be looking closely at those upper-column mounting points to see if they are slotted or have some other provision for adjustment which would alter the angle / plane of the steering wheel.

Nope, still can't imagine why it would be cockeyed / why that would be necessary.

Good Luck!

Reactions: budaman

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you will find it is square with the cabin. But please get back to me with your findings. I would appreciate it.
I am actually at the dealership right now and walked up on them strait edging another gen 1. I should not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. The steering wheel in the comparison vehicle is also not square with the cabin. Now I’m just going to be frustrated with it I guess.
Did you get a chance to check yours?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,144 Posts
I checked my vehicle and it is not perfectly square. Any accurate measurement requires the straight edge to hit both sides of the steering wheel at EXACTLY the same height. Any difference compounds the error over the 5 foot length of the straight edge. . .
I can promise you that there is nothing wrong with my 14's steeriing wheel aligment yet it also not perfectly square to the door handles. Its off by about 1inch at the door handles. Who says the door handles are exactly square with the "true centerline" and why does the steering wheel have to be exactly square?
IMHO, I think that there is nothing wrong with your vehicle and you are chasing your tail on this one . . .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts