Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I checked my vehicle and it is not perfectly square. Any accurate measurement requires the straight edge to hit both sides of the steering wheel at EXACTLY the same height. Any difference compounds the error over the 5 foot length of the straight edge. . .
I can promise you that there is nothing wrong with my 14's steeriing wheel aligment yet using it also not perfectly square to the door handles. IMHO, I think that there is nothing wrong with your vehicle and you are chasing your tail on this one . . .
Thanks for Doing that. Lol not the first time I’ve chased my tail but glad to know.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm not driving a take off of the AMC Pacer, so my 08 RTL is exactly true with the dash and the rest of the cabin. A straight edge touches the door pull in exactly the same spot on both left and right doors. (Something that would have meant trouble in the Pacer). I even measured it with the wheel all the way up and again with it all the way down.

I didn't check out the alignment of the seats as I would have had to get rid of the center console.

I have to tell you that after my RTL has been t-boned 3 times in the last 2 years with $10,000.00 in damage. I tell you these trucks are tough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Since I did the strait edge on the
I'm not driving a take off of the AMC Pacer, so my 08 RTL is exactly true with the dash and the rest of the cabin. A straight edge touches the door pull in exactly the same spot on both left and right doors. (Something that would have meant trouble in the Pacer). I even measured it with the wheel all the way up and again with it all the way down.

I didn't check out the alignment of the seats as I would have had to get rid of the center console.

I have to tell you that after my RTL has been t-boned 3 times in the last 2 years with $10,000.00 in damage. I tell you these trucks are tough.

since I just did the straight edge on another ridgeline at the dealership where I was having mine looked at and the ridgelines wheel was cockeyed like mine, the strait edge didn’t line up side to side across front of the wheel, and a poster on here said his doesn’t line up with handles and his was a 14. Now you’re saying yours does. It’s something I will continue to look into but not worry about.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They should be able to take care of that at the shop where you got the alignment done. My son has lifetime alignments for his car from TiresPlus. Unfortunately, they rarely get the proper spec on the alignment.

I figured a lifetime alignment meant free alignments for as long as you own the vehicle, but I think with TiresPlus it means it will take a lifetime for them to get it correct.
I have aligned many many cars. Every shop I ever worked in have a chart that showed the manufactures settings.
But, with the lifetime alignment and you getting it checked, if the tires wear on one side, then they owe you.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Turn your steering wheel 180. Same measurement?

The column has very little adjustment in the mounting point to the dash bar. but the wheel it self could be bent. or you could be bent...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hate to be the one to say this, but it sounds as though the vehicle had been wrecked and rebuilt before you bought it. Maybe take it to a good body ship and have them check for frame misalignment ?
I agree.. I was going to post when I saw your post.. This vehicle was in a front end crash.. wow.. Take it back don't try to fix it and do what you can to get your money back

·
Registered
63 Posts
This vehicle was in a front end crash.. wow.. Take it back don't try to fix it and do what you can to get your money back
Just curious how you came to the conclusion that the vehicle had been in a front-end crash? Earlier posts suggest that two other Ridgelines (which presumably hadn't been in such crashes) had "wonky" steering wheels. What makes you so certain it has been in a crash?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think almost every car is like this. The drivers seat and wheel isn't exactly square to the wheelbase. It is designed into the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just curious how you came to the conclusion that the vehicle had been in a front-end crash? Earlier posts suggest that two other Ridgelines (which presumably hadn't been in such crashes) had "wonky" steering wheels. What makes you so certain it has been in a crash?
I was thinking the same thing but.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Honda Ridgeline in August 2018 and the steering wheel has been wonky since day ONE. It gets worse when the column is extended all the way out. I believe the upper pivot point is the culprit because the angle of the steering wheel gets worse when the column is adjusted all the way out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I purchased a 2019 Honda Ridgeline in August 2018 and the steering wheel has been wonky since day ONE. It gets worse when the column is extended all the way out. I believe the upper pivot point is the culprit because the angle of the steering wheel gets worse when the column is adjusted all the way out.
it just seems to me that a collision bad enough to cause such a warp in a steering column wouldn’t be able to escape an insurance claim that would show up on a Carfax report. Why would you NOT turn it into the insurance and pay a collision center thousands of your own money. That doesn’t make sense. It has a clean Carfax and an excellent service record.

No, I don’t think it was crashed and neither dose the dealer that did my alignment, which is not the dealer that sold it to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take this for what its worth....... Carfax has been known to have errors. There have been issues where individuals purchased cars they were told were never in a crash (and no report of one on Carfax) only to have it show up months/years later on a Carfax when they go to sell the car.

I've also heard of several instances where Carfax reported damage to a vehicle that never took place or was not as bad as reported. For whatever reason, it was reported incorrectly. (Probably wrong VIN was inputted). The owners had to jump through hoops with Carfax to get it off the report. (Dispute Carfax errors before trading-in your vehicle)

Databases are only as good as the info (correctly) put into them.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts