Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2006 Ridgeline now...great condition for the miles but one odd thing stands out and doesn't match the rest of the truck.

The Honda logo on the center of the steering wheel has all the fake chrome rubbed off and the previous owner has done something that has HUGE chunks of the finish off the wheel...it's absolutely trashed and needs replaced.

Anyone swapped theirs before?

I've replaced clock springs in older cars before and taken a few wheels off in my day. I noted that the CarFax clearly stated the air bag had been updated so I'm hoping I could just easily swap that out.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
BTW the H is on the air bag not the steering wheel.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It's not likely it was replaced under recall if it was done a couple of years ago..... and did Carfax say WHEN the airbag was replaced? It might have been replace due to an activation, accident or otherwise (shorted out by driveway mechanic for instance). So it could have been replaced several years ago???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not likely it was replaced under recall if it was done a couple of years ago..... and did Carfax say WHEN the airbag was replaced? It might have been replace due to an activation, accident or otherwise (shorted out by driveway mechanic for instance). So it could have been replaced several years ago???

It was replaced under recall. Saw it on the car fax myself. As far as the date I'm not 100%. None the less that is a short time for a long to come off, no?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You are correct! That is a very short time to have logo wear off. That recall was only announced in June 2014, so it has to have been less than a year ago it was replaced, if done under recall.
I will say that Carfax can sometimes be less than 100% accurate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any way they reused that cover...since I'm not familiar with the internal?

Does that cover flip down during deployment or does it rip open in some way...ala Aliens?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I will say that Carfax can sometimes be less than 100% accurate.
Or as I would put it CARFAX is 90% crap.

Is there any way they reused that cover...since I'm not familiar with the internal?

Does that cover flip down during deployment or does it rip open in some way...ala Aliens?
No way possible it is reused.
The drivers bag splits down the middle.

Can you post a picture of your current bag ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a vehicle I'm considering. Will brings home for a few days next week.

What experience do you know or have data that car fax is crap other then honest date entry errors?

I'm seeing 100k miles of oil change history, other routine maintenance and TSB.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This is a vehicle I'm considering. Will brings home for a few days next week.

What experience do you know or have data that car fax is crap other then honest date entry errors?

I'm seeing 100k miles of oil change history, other routine maintenance and TSB.

The best bet is to take it to a independent body shop and ask them to see if it has been in a collision or not. The least they could do is a yes, no or maybe. Depending on how it was repaired they might even be able to tell you if it was repaired correctly or not.
Then I would take it to a independent mechanic shop and have them give it a mechanical once over. Dont expect either to be free, but a money well spent for peace of mind or nightmare avoidance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts