Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 ridgeline 234000 miles on it,steering wheel shimmy at high speeds only. Starts at around 73 and up ,I have replaced main drive shaft from the front to back,right side axel,two motor mts,turned rotors,had all bearings checked and shocks ,struts all good.Replace inner and outer tie rods this helped with the steering wheel shake some.I have new Michelin defender tires on the truck ,they have been road forced which I am not a true believer in that machine,I have been chaseing this for a ten months I had a set of goodyears on it had problems with them wanting to pull after rotations and balance issues so I put new ones on.Still have a shimmy at highway speed only I have never had any problems with this truck it feels like a out of balance tire.I could use some insight on this issue from other ridgeline owners . Mike

· Registered
2014 Sport
4,404 Posts
2006 ridgeline 234000 miles on it,steering wheel shimmy at high speeds only. Starts at around 73 and up ,I have replaced main drive shaft from the front to back,right side axel,two motor mts,turned rotors,had all bearings checked and shocks ,struts all good.Replace inner and outer tie rods this helped with the steering wheel shake some.I have new Michelin defender tires on the truck ,they have been road forced which I am not a true believer in that machine,I have been chaseing this for a ten months I had a set of goodyears on it had problems with them wanting to pull after rotations and balance issues so I put new ones on.Still have a shimmy at highway speed only I have never had any problems with this truck it feels like a out of balance tire.I could use some insight on this issue from other ridgeline owners . Mike

Move your front wheels to the rear. Still have shimmy? Has it changed?

· Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,995 Posts
My 08 has 240,000 miles and I'm always gratified that when I switch from summer tires to winter tires and there is no change in the way it drives. Only the hum of the winter snow tires lets me know I have a different set of tires on it. No pulling, no shimmy, no unpleasant issues.

With what you have spent, already, you might try another set of wheels and tires.

I'm not sure that there is any vehicle in recent years that is so easy to change over wheels and tires, other than these older Ridgelines. NO TPMS issues, just change them over and drive.

· Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,995 Posts
I should add that at about 100,000 miles ago I had the struts and shocks replaced and that got rid of some tire wear issues that was starting to show on my summer tires. Of course it included a 4 wheel alignment. My struts and shocks are now lifetime free replacement and I will probably see them replaced by 300,000 for free this time.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had four alignments done two were done at the dealer and two were done were I bought the tires.Then I compared the two print out sheets the changes were very small on them Im talking .01 on the front toe total so its not the alignment.It was a four wheel alignment.Caster and camber are good.Have not put struts on it yet because no wear on tires ,and the shimmy is side to side in steering wheel plus a pull to the left know at highway speeds.This is the first issue Ive had driving, me nuts. Keep giving me input I need help solving this guys!!

· Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,941 Posts
Shimmy while driving, usually attributes to bad or worn out in-board CV joints.

Sometimes, as silly as it seems, it could also be moisture in your tires. I have had bad experience with outside air pumps and for almost half a decade, I have been using my trusted pump at home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.