Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering Wheel Shudder

Hi everyone! :)

I'm brand new here. Just got my RTL-S/R yesterday and don't have but 30 miles on it! WOOHOO!

Been reading through some of the forums here and they've been VERY helpful on quite a few things.

So here's my issue; The steering wheel shuddering or chattering, you might say, when I enter tight turns. It's fairly mild most of the time, and only becomes pronounced when I turn the the steering wheel fast, or when I hold it over in a continuous turn (like when making a u-turn, or when going in a tight circle).

I took it back to my Sales guy (who worked as a Parts Manager at this Honda Dealership for years) and we took it for a test spin, and he said it's the computer-controlled stability sensors? Something to do with the computer wanting to "straighten out" the turn? Anyone else experience this phenomenon? Or is my Sales guy day-dreaming?

I would think that if this issue was other than what the Sales guy is saying it is, that the Dealership would want to fix things like this because Honda pays them too, and they'd jump at the chance to make a buck...but am I wrong about that?

Also, on another note; About half the time I notice a slight hesitation on the part of the truck to accelerate from a dead stop...wondering if this will go away after the break-in??

BTW: I think it's human nature to speak out about what you DON'T like verus what you do, but I bought this truck for a couple million reasons over the competition's, so in all fairness, I will say that I am loving my SUT so far!!...................................of course, then again, I only have 30 miles on it, LOL. ;)

Your input is greatly appreciated!! :D

EDIT:

I should also clarify that this "shudder" or chattering is NOT a result of me holding the wheel all the way over to the stopping point of its turn radius.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I haven't experienced this either. His explanation sounds like bull. "Something to do with the computer wanting to "straighten out" the turn?" What? I'd have a mechanic look at it. Sales people know alot about nothing, and not very much about anything else. Other than that it sounds like things are great with your RL. Enjoy the best ride on the planet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the same guy who told me that the way these trucks save on gas is they have a feature that turns 3 of the 6 cylinders off when the engine detects that the car is not in need of full power...anyone else ever heard of that one from Honda?

·
Registered
30 Posts
DBLA,

Honda does offer cylinder deactivation (6-->3 cylinder mode) on the Odyssey, but it is not a feature of the Ridgeline. I think the EPA has rated it as good for +3 mpg on the highway. So, your dealer is partially correct.

Jeffro

·
Registered
484 Posts
It works great on the Accord hybrid. There's a little light that comes on to tell you that it is active (or not as the case may be) and the transition is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^OK, see, then to me, this just re-affirms that my Sales guy knows less about his product than the Recpetionist...I think I need to return to have these things looked at properly by the Service Dept., just to be sure. ;)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I think you're dealer's FOS. I haven't heard of this "explanation", or had this problem. I've been working my Ridgeline pretty hard lately, with no problems.

·
Registered
460 Posts
FOS to be sure!!!! the RL does not have the 6 to 3 cylinder deactivation system!!! man, what a goon that guy is. supposedly honda did not install this system because the gas savings wouldn't have justified the added expense to the truck. that is how it was explained to me. yes, take to a service manager/advisor. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You don't, by chance, have your VTM-4 locked during this maneuver?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shovelhd said:
You don't, by chance, have your VTM-4 locked during this maneuver?
No, most definately not.

I mentioned this problem to a friend of mine who'd bought a new Toyota 4-Runner back in '98 and experienced this exact same phenomenon, and they too didn't believe the Dealership when they were told that it was "normal"...so, they took it to an Independent Mechanic and sure enough, he said that it indeed was normal.......so who knows, it may be a Japanese car thing?

I am also wondering though if maybe the truck just needs to "settle" a bit, so I'm going to give it a week's worth of driving to see if it goes away...it's a very subtle thing. I do have a 3/36 warranty after-all! I think there's time to fix any potential defects. ;)

Will keep the board posted.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel Shudder

DBLA said:
The steering wheel shuddering or chattering, you might say, when I enter tight turns. It's fairly mild most of the time, and only becomes pronounced when I turn the the steering wheel fast, or when I hold it over in a continuous turn
Have you tried turning the steering wheel at a standstill while just idling? If you still get the shuddering, it will rule out a lot of possibilities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^Did try turning the wheel while at a stand-still and it doesn't shudder...only when moving, and only with subtle variations to the wheel position while holding it over in a general turn.

Fluid level was first thing I checked...all was/is fine there. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts