Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda,

I am 6-2 and still have to reach for the steering wheel. Are there any plans for a spacing adapter to shorten the length of reach to the wheel?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I second that most strongly. Five foot nine inches here, and I was originally looking for a telescopic steering wheel. It is a bit of a reach, and I am still playing with seat adjustment and height changes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe if we get a ground swell movement we can get Honda to come up with a retrofit telescoping wheel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ditto on everything about the telescoping steering wheel.

I think that is my biggest complaint with the truck. I have a hard time finding a comfortable position because the wheel does not come out enough.

I just returned from a 2,400 mile trip an hour ago and I am NOT HAPPY about the steering wheel being so far in :mad:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm taking my first extended highway trip this weekend (300 miles- Virginia to Pennsylvania). It will be interesting to see how the driving position goes over the long haul. As a side note, my wife's Accord has a telescoping steering wheel. I can't remember the last time I actually used it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Amen................the Steering Wheel Location Makes It Very Difficult To Get Comfortable.....i Wish I Would Have Noticed At Test Drive But Its Something That Doesn't Become Really Apparent Until Youve Driven A Little While.........honestly, It Sucks And Honda Probably Won't Help Us Out With A Retrofit Offer. Its The Biggest Dissappointing Issue With This Truck And It Very Much Effects The Comfort Level When Driving........i Hate It.

·
Registered
46 Posts
how about a positive post.... i have no problem with the steering wheel.... i have gone on a few road trips.... guess i have long arms............ :cool:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I could be more comfortable, but then it looks like my knees would be shattered in an average head-on or offset collision. I wonder what the seat positioning was for the 5-star rating.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
SSquire said:
I could be more comfortable, but then it looks like my knees would be shattered in an average head-on or offset collision. I wonder what the seat positioning was for the 5-star rating.
It is probably fairly unlikely that your legs would be crushed in a head-on since the only thing that could cause that is if you flew forward with enough force to break them on the plastics. The seat belts should stop you from moving very far. You may end up with bruises though but these are fine under a 5 star rating. This isn't to say that things couldn't be better, but most cars I see my wife driving pretty close to the front and I am not a real fan of this but it is the only way she can reach the pedals.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that a telescoping steering column would have been better, or that adjustable pedals would have been nice.

·
Registered
484 Posts
captmiddy said:
It is probably fairly unlikely that your legs would be crushed in a head-on since the only thing that could cause that is if you flew forward with enough force to break them on the plastics. The seat belts should stop you from moving very far. You may end up with bruises though but these are fine under a 5 star rating. This isn't to say that things couldn't be better, but most cars I see my wife driving pretty close to the front and I am not a real fan of this but it is the only way she can reach the pedals.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that a telescoping steering column would have been better, or that adjustable pedals would have been nice.
My legs wouldn't be crushed, its would be the knees. It was when I first set up my seat, there was almost no separation. The impact on the dash would happen about the same time the seatbelt and airbag started to take effect and depending on the speed/forces involved, the patellas would probably end up in lots of little bits.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drive 200 miles a day and give dittos to the wheel being too far forward.

I would buy a Honda retro fix or an aftermarket solution in a heartbeat if it were aesthetically acceptable/transparent.

·
Registered
460 Posts
SSquire said:
i tried that position too and didn't like my knees being so close to the dash....should not be like that in a pick up anyway. (SUT-whatever).
i too would purchase a retro fit if made available. over time, the steering wheel/column length does make for a less comfortable experience. i really, really like this truck, and this is just soooooo frustrating because its a legitament complaint and even can preoccupy the driver which is ridiculous.
next model year when honda has it in the RL, that will be even more irritating because i wonder if they hold off some options deliberately to put in future models. this new RL is a big deal to honda and especially honda's loyal customers who bought it from the word go, this comfort feature should not have been held back from us and given to future owners. we deserve better. we are there marketing arm in the streets and on this site...............sorry, im done now................................or am i??????????

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I would need pedal extenders even more if the steering wheel were closer. I am 5'5" and when I pull the seat up close enough to reach the pedals my right knee is literally rubbing the thin electric brake assist unit we installed for the hitch. We weren't looking at size when we chose the model but it's a darn good thing we got a small one. My left knee doesn't have much clearance and I WOULD break both knees in a crash.

When I'm snugged up that close to reach the pedals, the steering wheel is not too far away to reach. For taller drivers the steering wheel is more of an issue, for shorter drivers it's the pedals. Both could use some adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sign me up too!
I'm 6 feet and I CAN"T reach the top of the steering wheel with comfort.

So how about it Honda? When we going to see something to fix this problem?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Has anyone pulled the steering wheel off or looked at the service manuals? What would be involved in making an extension? Is an exstension a common thing for other manufactures to provide? I'm 6'3" and I need one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts