Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if the different models have a different steering wheel or not, but I've got an RTL with what I suppose is a leather wrapped steering wheel. I'm a pretty big guy with fairly strong hands, but the wheel is too dry and slick.

I've thought about putting different products on it to make it slightly more tacky, but don't want to screw it up by experimenting.

This is the first time I've ever experienced this problem. It makes me wonder how a woman with smaller hands would deal with this issue? Must bother them... or maybe my leather is too dry or something different than other Ridgelines.

Anyone notice this problem?

Suggested solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I like it the way it is. I wish the creaking would go away.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Two ideas:

1. Pine tar
2. Gloves

Seriously, I agree the leather wheel is a little slick. It's also a bit chubby for my taste, and small too such that it obscures the instrument panel which in our view is marginal at best.

Our major dislike (it's my wife's truck first/foremost actually) is the instrumentation. Very wimpy.

Back on topic: while I feel I have to hang-on to the slippery steering wheel with both hands, the responsiveness and ride chars of the vehicle underneath me are positively outstanding!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I noticed the "slick-ness" of the steering wheel as well when I test drove the RTL. Ended up buying the RTS (South Jersey and leather seat is just not a good combination for me).

I also agree with swampler about the roughness of the "arm rest" on the RTS. It should also be a bit higher.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
No problem here. I rather like it just the way it is. I would like to see the window sills / arm rest get a little padding. I am thinking, but not too seriously, about cutting up a mouse pad and putting it on the sill. I wonder if the dealer got something like armorall on their hands and then handled the steering wheel before delivery to you. I had a friend put Armorall on his steering wheel - not a good thing to do.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ultra-HOG said:
No problem here. I rather like it just the way it is. I would like to see the window sills / arm rest get a little padding. I am thinking, but not too seriously, about cutting up a mouse pad and putting it on the sill. I wonder if the dealer got something like armorall on their hands and then handled the steering wheel before delivery to you. I had a friend put Armorall on his steering wheel - not a good thing to do.
I'm positive the problem is not ArmorAll or anything similar. If anything the leather is tooooo dry. I expect that eventually the oils in my hands will start to transfer and "lube it up". I thought about putting a light coat of baby oil or something like that on it to make the leather not quite so dry. I was thinking of it because I don't want a product with other chemicals in it that may become sticky.

The leather is very smooth and dry.

Not sure what the answer is just yet. I've haven't done a very good job explaining the problem, and in the big picture it's not much of a problem anyway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I felt mine was slick also. I have not used any cleaners on it yet. It is now probably dirty :D and not as slick anymore with 3,000 miles on it. I also blame the dry skin on my hands for contributing to this problem. I have also thought that leather conditioner could either help or worsen the problem. Have not used it yet.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
hopefully the RL will be fitted with a telescoping steering wheel in the future. i've owened a honda civic and had a freeway accident, the honda did its job in protecting the driver and passenger. Crumple zone gave way and the cabin was intact. Everyone left the civic on their own without injuries. Telescoping is just an added bonus would like to have in the future RL.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It is slick. I lost control of it on a right hand turn.
Good thing there was not another car in the other lane!
Not used to leather steering wheels.
I drove my wife's Maxima with leather wheel and it felt about the same. :confused:
Who knows? Hold on tight, I guess!

·
Registered
167 Posts
csimo said:
I'm positive the problem is not ArmorAll or anything similar. If anything the leather is tooooo dry. I expect that eventually the oils in my hands will start to transfer and "lube it up". I thought about putting a light coat of baby oil or something like that on it to make the leather not quite so dry. I was thinking of it because I don't want a product with other chemicals in it that may become sticky.

The leather is very smooth and dry.

Not sure what the answer is just yet. I've haven't done a very good job explaining the problem, and in the big picture it's not much of a problem anyway.
What you need is a nice, soft, cushy cover from Fred Meyer for 12.00. My wheel feels like it's covered in lambskin and I get lots of positive comments about it. :cool:

·
Registered
188 Posts
nwdiver said:
What you need is a nice, soft, cushy cover from Fred Meyer for 12.00. My wheel feels like it's covered in lambskin and I get lots of positive comments about it. :cool:
What is this Fred Meyer you speak of?

·
Registered
112 Posts
swampler said:
My RTS steering wheel isn't slick at all. In fact, a lot of the fabric area (arm rests specifically) even seems too rough.
Dnucci said:
I also agree with swampler about the roughness of the "arm rest" on the RTS. It should also be a bit higher.
Swampler,
Last night I happened to be in Staples and saw a mouse pad made by Handstands. It is called an ergo-mat (for a look go to http://www.handstands.com/retail/computer/mousemat/ergomat.shtml#).

It makes the surface a bit higher and a lot less abrasive. I noticed the difference on the drive in today.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
i thought my steering wheel was dusty(it looked clean) when i got it since my hand felt smooth as if coated with dust afterwards but i've wiped it down since then and it still feels the same after driving. is this the slick sensation you guys are talking about?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ridgelurker said:
i thought my steering wheel was dusty(it looked clean) when i got it since my hand felt smooth as if coated with dust afterwards but i've wiped it down since then and it still feels the same after driving. is this the slick sensation you guys are talking about?
Yes, sounds similar. Very dry feel is all I can say. I don't really feel any dust, but I guess you could describe it that way.

Hard to get a good grip on the wheel.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mine feels just like every other leather wrapped steering wheel I've had... (except the last one had perforated leather on the sides, smooth top and bottom).

L

·
0 Posts
From a woman's point of view, I rather like the way the steering wheel feels in my hands. It's smooth and easy to manuever.
I guess it just goes to prove that it's true when they say "to each his own!" Maybe it's as simple as how your hands react chemically to the leather. :confused:

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
It could also be something that the dealer applied during prep.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts