Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 386 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Same rear seat problem. 40% portion wasn't working, but the 60% portion was. Took to dealer, quoted $260+ to fix. When I got home, noticed that the 60% portion was now broken as well. Assume mechanic who wasn't knowledgable on the problem played with the good one and broke it as well. To me, it's a big product defect and Honda should admit it and fix it.

I've found a $5 solution that I'm going to try. Will install a plastic broom holder in the inset groove for the locking bar and then just push each bar into the clip, then pull it out when ready to lower the seat. I refuse to pay Honda approx. $500 to fix their defect.
For not much more than $5 you can get the newer Honda die-cast pulleys to replace the broken or soon to be broken plastic ones.

Then replace them yourself following the instructions on a few Forum threads by those of us who have already done it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you saying the legs to the rear seat were sticking out when the Honda dealership you paid did the inspection and they didn't see that? Or they did see it and just didn't know what that indicated? Either way, they didn't do a very good inspection!
It happened after the inspection, but while it was still in their service area - just one of those happy coincidences in life. To your point though, the service writer told me he had no idea what it was and that he'd have to charge me an hour's labor to get a tech to look at it. As a shade-tree mechanic of the first order, I declined because I figured I could fix it myself eventually. Little did I know that the ROC would have the answer, plus pics!

It is one of the easiest repairs anyone can make if they have a 10mm socket and an extension. There are only five bolts total to replace both pulleys, and the trim pulls off very easily. The watch-out is not to break the tabs off of the pulley covers, which you can avoid by using a long thin screwdriver to get down inside the covers to separate them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thank you meng - Another ROC'er owes you for the in depth expose you did on the repair to the seat pulleys. I had my RTS in for an oil change Friday and bought the two new metal pulleys from Honda parts dept. for a mere $5.48 each. Since today was beautiful and a balmy 72 degrees, I took on the change and accomplished it in just over an hour. Could do the next one in half that time, I bet ! Thanks again - only difference I saw was that the 3 bolts in the 2009 are not gold colored. TSB 10-068 Completed !!

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
82139-SJC-A01 Pulley part number. Make sure to replace them in pairs, you don't want to be pulling out the seats again.

Edit: Metal pulley p/n is 82139-SJC-A02.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK, new proud owner of a 2006 RL here. Are the bars supposed to automatically go down flush with the bottom of the rear seat when the rear seats are raised? I saw velcro, but now that I think about it--it could have been the old owner's answer.....and not a very good one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
here's a little preventative maintenance on the unbroken side, for the occasional helpful rider...
I'm looking at my 2nd dealership repair of this problem on my '06. This time, I took it into the car wash place for detailing...seats were up, legs retracted flat. When I got the car back after the detailing, seats were DOWN. I flipped both of them back up and BOTH legs were now sticking out! I immediately went back to the car wash and spoke w/ the Mgr and the guy who did the detailing. They, of course, completely denied breaking the legs saying they deal with Ridgelines all day long and everyone there is well aware of the problem and knows not to grab those legs :act051: ... yeah, right! I called Honda America and they said take it to the dealership again and now I'm waiting to hear back. I was thinking of another solution to the problem shown above (i.e. tying the seat legs down with rope and/or big red piece of tape saying "DON'T GRAB THIS!!") that happens with EVERYONE: at some point, everyone is going to be giving a ride to a non-Ridgeline owner who is naturally going to try to grab that bar! If Honda would redesign that bottom panel so that the groove into which those legs retract is deeper, then the legs would sort of "sink" into the bottom panel, sitting sort of flush, so that it's not physically possible to grab that bar by accident...the legs would sort of disappear into that plastic bottom seat panel...problem solved!
Anyway, I'm ordering the aluminum cable guides (pulleys) and when/if Honda calls me back I'll tell them :act027: and :act030: ... and my buddies and I will fix it ourselves! Thanks to all for the super posts and esp. to Meng for taking the time and effort to post those pix!! Well Done!

*edit* Just for everyone's information, in case it hasn't been already posted to this thread, I just spoke w/ Bryan, the guy who originally made the metal cable guides and he told me that since Honda is now making the metal replacement part [A2139-SJC-A02], he is no longer selling his milled aluminum ones. The Honda parts are about $9.00. He made a great point, though: Honda America should be reimbursing the dealerships 100% for these repairs so that the Ridgeline owners should NOT be charged! If Honda has remanufactured the part, they have essentially ADMITTED that there was a defect all along...it should be handled like a recall and all Ridgelines with the plastic cable guides should be able to have those guides replaced w/ the metal ones at N/C! I'm calling back Honda America tomorrow and I'll report back to the Thread what they say. *edit*

·
Registered
16 Posts
ANother ROC'er with a successful repair. Took 40 minutes, including fumbling round a bit. Got the Honda metal cable guides for about 12 bucks, followed the instructions. Superb!!

RE: Dealership, wanted $795 to replace the 2 pullys, didnt seem interested in my stating it could be done in 30 minutes.....I called Honda America, they got it down to $250, dealer could not be bothered to call me back on this, so I did it myself.

Great club!

Jerry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Finally got around to doing this repair on my 2006 Ridgeline. Followed your step by step procedure and everything went well except the replacement parts I got from HondaPartsNow, the hole in the center was not exactly machined correctly to fit on the shaft. Had to use my Dremel to do a bit of enlarging. Honda dealer wanted $536 for the job, parts including shipping from HondaPartsNow was $20.00.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Was cruising on getting this project done after ordering the parts from a Honda Dealer on ebay (now I'm wondering) until I went to put the pulley on. IT DOESNT FIT! They came in what looks to be OEM Honda bags with the part numbers on them, and I've tried them every possible way and they're just too small for the bolt. smdh. Time to contact the seller I guess. I'm just PO'd that I took everything apart and got nothing to show for it.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Was cruising on getting this project done after ordering the parts from a Honda Dealer on ebay (now I'm wondering) until I went to put the pulley on. IT DOESNT FIT! They came in what looks to be OEM Honda bags with the part numbers on them, and I've tried them every possible way and they're just too small for the bolt. smdh. Time to contact the seller I guess. I'm just PO'd that I took everything apart and got nothing to show for it.
It seems this is the 2nd complaint about 'fit'. Can you Dremel, etc. it? I wonder if some of these die-cast pulley have some flash metal in the holes.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It seems this is the 2nd complaint about 'fit'. Can you Dremel, etc. it? I wonder if some of these die-cast pulley have some flash metal in the holes.
I don't have a Dremel, but I've enlisted a buddy who does to help later this week. I called the seller (no luck) and sent them a message. I don't want to send them back and pay for shipping/wait another week or two. A partial refund would be nice, but doubtful judging by the listing. I felt like fighting someone when I realized it didn't fit.:act051:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I don't have a Dremel, but I've enlisted a buddy who does to help later this week. I called the seller (no luck) and sent them a message. I don't want to send them back and pay for shipping/wait another week or two. A partial refund would be nice, but doubtful judging by the listing. I felt like fighting someone when I realized it didn't fit.:act051:
Make sure you check the post that the pulley goes onto. When I got mine, they wouldn't go on, and I thought they were the wrong size, but it turned out that the posts had a little lip on them that I had to file off. After that the pulleys fit perfectly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't actually tackled the repair yet, but refer to the posting just above yours, and others, I think, in this thread about there maybe being some casting flash occasionally left on the piece that needs to be filed off in order for the piece to fit onto the spindle.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Seller offered a full refund or a $4.00 refund if I choose to dremel them and make them work which is my plan. Going to do it Thursday morning so I'll post results.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just a possibility...One thing to check carefully is that the flats are not the same length, so the pulley will only go on one way. The difference is small enough to be hard to notice and the fit is tight enough that you have to look at it first to have the longer and shorter "flats" lined up, and then press it on straight.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Got them dremeled and put on this morning. :act035: However, when I was putting on the nuts that hold the pulleys in place, I got carried away and over-tightened one and the bolt snapped off.:act060: Wondering how much I'll be out to replace that part (whatever it's called). I just went ahead and put it all back together and crossed my fingers that the pulley doesn't just fall off. I think i'll be okay since it's stilll a snug fit. SMDH

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great post. I just replaced both castings in under 30 minutes for $12. The pictures helped ALOT. Thank you. I only needed to replace one that broke, but decided to replace both of them since I had taken everything apart. If any members would be interested in the plastic casting in order to replace their broken one, send me a private message. I'd be happy to send you the part for free..:act035:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both my support bars broke a couple of years ago. I read all the threads about the fixes. And how they don't last, either. Complicated and expensive. I fixed mine with a black $0.99 bungee cord. (my rear seats are up >99% of the time). Unobtrusive, works perfectly, took 1 minute - for both, and I'm not sweating them going out again.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Both my support bars broke a couple of years ago. I read all the threads about the fixes. And how they don't last, either. Complicated and expensive. I fixed mine with a black $0.99 bungee cord. (my rear seats are up >99% of the time). Unobtrusive, works perfectly, took 1 minute - for both, and I'm not sweating them going out again.
If you read those threads thoroughly you must have realized the 'bars' are not broke. Most of the problems are due to plastic pulleys that break. Metal pulleys (that don't break) are now available and cheap. It is about an hour's effort to replace them and not have to resort to other methods. Surely there are better uses for bungee cords than helping hold cars together.

81 - 100 of 386 Posts