Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
23,102 Posts
The city I live in has been trying to place a fleet order for months, but the dealer told them "sorry - Ford isn't building any plain white F-150's - we can get you an XLT with leather, though!" My brother's employer has been keeping their fleet vehicles longer and buying used ones because they can't get new ones.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Soon we will be in a full recession, the dealers will be in a position they haven"t been in for a couple of years of having to put some carrots out to sell cars again.I have been through
a couple of recessions so buckle up and hope your job is still there in the end.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Soon we will be in a full recession, the dealers will be in a position they haven"t been in for a couple of years of having to put some carrots out to sell cars again.I have been through
a couple of recessions so buckle up and hope your job is still there in the end.
Where I am there are plenty of help wanted signs. Employers are always complaining that they can't find people. My Bothers company increased wages by $3/hr and still can't get people. As the boomers age and leave the work force it's going to get even more difficult to find workers. We are going to have to invite immigrants to move here to keep things going.

Reactions: WB77

·
Registered
400 Posts
What a recession is in full swing the jobs will dry up because people will stop spending and the business will have to layoff. You will soon see this happening.Bookmark this.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What a recession is in full swing the jobs will dry up because people will stop spending and the business will have to layoff. You will soon see this happening.Bookmark this.
The war material production will keep the economy humming along just fine. Stock market will bottom out this month... Time to invest!

Reactions: WB77

·
Registered
184 Posts
One of my coworkers bought a Ridgeline after seeing mine. in November of 20 I paid 5K under sticker. One year later my coworker paid 10K OVER.
He just got a big insurance settlement, enough that he could retire, so it didn't bother him and his wife fell in love with it so he paid it.
Yep, good old, old fashion free market economy in action, supply and demand. Of course Honda would rather see the vehicle being sold at MSRP instead of over MSRP, for Honda knows how this plays out with customers in the long run, but since Honda Dealerships are all privately owned, their control of pricing is limited.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep, good old, old fashion free market economy in action, supply and demand. Of course Honda would rather see the vehicle being sold at MSRP instead of over MSRP, for Honda knows how this plays out with customers in the long run, but since Honda Dealerships are all privately owned, their control of pricing is limited.
It would be extremely easy for Honda to write the dealerships contract stating that they cannot charge more than msrp.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Citroen and Toyota executives are beginning to publicly say that electrification in the automobile market may not be the rosy picture painted a few years ago.
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/07/01/ev-car-cost-creep

From the article: "Toyota boss Akio Toyoda made similar comments in December 2020: he warned that banning the internal combustion engine could trigger job losses and electricity shortages while making cars more expensive. "The current business model of the car industry is going to collapse," he predicted, and said car ownership is at risk of becoming "a flower on a high summit," so out of reach for many."

The Citroen executive essentially says the 2020 Toyota prediction is coming true.

·
Administrator
23,102 Posts
So you don't like that Honda dealers are charging $5,000 over MSRP for a new Ridgeline? How about Ford dealers charging $5,000 over MSRP for a new Maverick or Hyundai dealers charging $5,000 over MSRP for a new Santa Cruz?

This is an industry-wide trend - not a Honda trend.

It would be extremely easy for Honda to write the dealerships contract stating that they cannot charge more than msrp.
Why haven't they? MSRP+ pricing has been going on for decades and the automakers have been powerless to stop it.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
573 Posts
Even if they were limited to charging you MSRP for the vehicle, I'm certain dealerships would find a way to charge you over MSRP somehow. Call them what you will, but they are a creative bunch.

Vehicle purchase entitlement fee, $2995
Premium mudflap, pinstriping, and door guard package, $1995.
Delivery prep and vehicle readiness fee, $995
Sales commission recovery, $495
Key activation, $295

·
Registered
184 Posts
So you don't like that Honda dealers are charging $5,000 over MSRP for a new Ridgeline? How about Ford dealers charging $5,000 over MSRP for a new Maverick or Hyundai dealers charging $5,000 over MSRP for a new Santa Cruz?

This is an industry-wide trend - not a Honda trend.

Why haven't they? MSRP+ pricing has been going on for decades and the automakers have been powerless to stop it.
Actually doesn't matter to me, I understand supply and demand and how it works, plus I'm not in the market for a new vehicle. I have my 2020 and that will do me a while. I'm not one of those that needs a new vehicle every two or three years because of some new gadget. I generally keep a vehicle 10 years.

Most people only like a free market economy when it is their product or business that has the supply when there is a demand. They hate that same free market economy when they are the demander and someone else has the supply.

Besides supply and demand has been good to me this year. As a land owner who owns slightly over 2 full sections of prime farm land, I just sold my share of this years wheat, for $9.42 a bushel. My share was 3126 bushels. You do the math. 😀

Lots better than last years $6.25 and a whole lot better than the 2020 price of $4.12. I have happy tenants who will be able to pay off some long standing bills with this years commodity price. And since only 1.3% of the US population, (farmers) provide over 99% of the food it's nice to see them have a good year.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Actually doesn't matter to me, I understand supply and demand and how it works, plus I'm not in the market for a new vehicle. I have my 2020 and that will do me a while. I'm not one of those that needs a new vehicle every two or three years because of some new gadget. I generally keep a vehicle 10 years.

Most people only like a free market economy when it is their product or business that has the supply when there is a demand. They hate that same free market economy when they are the demander and someone else has the supply.

Besides supply and demand has been good to me this year. As a land owner who owns slightly over 2 full sections of prime farm land, I just sold my share of this years wheat, for $9.42 a bushel. My share was 3126 bushels. You do the math. 😀

Lots better than last years $6.25 and a whole lot better than the 2020 price of $4.12. I have happy tenants who will be able to pay off some long standing bills with this years commodity price. And since only 1.3% of the US population, (farmers) provide over 99% of the food it's nice to see them have a good year.
I also have a farm, done pretty well historically, last year was good, and this year is looking great. Quality hay prices are way up, as is corn, potatoes, and berries. Beef is also up.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,340 Posts
With Ukraine being one of the world's major producers of wheat, I expected wheat prices to go up, and may continue to climb. I think wheat hit a high of around $14/but about a decade ago.... wonder if we'll reach that again. I told my brother last spring he should plant more wheat, especially with the drought that we are in.

I expect the price of pasta to increase significantly over the next year, as well as other products that use wheat.

The price of olive oil will also go up, but that's because of a disease affecting olive trees. We eat a lot of Italian in our house, so our cost for dinner will go up a bit (but still much lower than eating out!).

Back to Ridgelines... a Ridgeline could hold nearly 30 bushel of wheat, plus a few more in the trunk. A decent crop of wheat might weigh 60lbs/bushel, so you might exceed the official payload if you "fill 'er up"!

·
Registered
184 Posts
With Ukraine being one of the world's major producers of wheat, I expected wheat prices to go up, and may continue to climb. I think wheat hit a high of around $14/but about a decade ago.... wonder if we'll reach that again. I told my brother last spring he should plant more wheat, especially with the drought that we are in.

I expect the price of pasta to increase significantly over the next year, as well as other products that use wheat.

The price of olive oil will also go up, but that's because of a disease affecting olive trees. We eat a lot of Italian in our house, so our cost for dinner will go up a bit (but still much lower than eating out!).

Back to Ridgelines... a Ridgeline could hold nearly 30 bushel of wheat, plus a few more in the trunk. A decent crop of wheat might weigh 60lbs/bushel, so you might exceed the official payload if you "fill 'er up"!
I would not expect prices to rise all that much if at all any time soon. Prices have actually fallen some since harvest started. I sold for $9.42 a bushel. Today's market price is $8.54 for red wheat so it has fallen almost a dollar.

I also have doubts that pasta prices will rise, at least not naturally. Pasta is made from soft wheat, usually Durum. In Ukraine, they grow hard red wheat winter wheat, the same as here. South Dakota does produce some soft Durum along with red winter wheat and some red spring wheat. North Dakota and Montana are also producers of Durum wheat as is Canada.

Funny thing with durum wheat and pasta. Italy has been for many years importing durum from this side of the world to make pasta.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
255 Posts
My wife drives a Nissan Murano that had a recall. Took it to the dealer and immediately were approached with sales people wanting to trade us out of the car. Just to kill some time waiting, we spoke with one and found they were selling MSRP + $5000.00 on any vehicle. So we said have a good day and returned to the service waiting room. While there the service writer approached us three times stating we needed this or that done on the vehicle while it was there... One attempt was brakes which we had replaced just four months prior. I became very mad and told him to repair the recall or give me the vehicle back and we would go elsewhere. He couldn't understand my getting upset !!
So we decided to go the the KIA dealer close by and talk about sticker shock. They were selling MSRP + $10,000.00 over. That was a short visit....
All I can say is W O W !!!!
Totally asinine.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
255 Posts
Every time I take a vehicle in for an oil change I have sales people wanting to buy them from me too. I always respond with a firm no. I don't even want to hear the sales pitch.

You have to question everything with any repair shop these days. They aren't making as much money on car sales because of inventory so they try to make it up in the service and parts area. Taking the car in for an oil change or doing it myself is almost a push financially so I let them assume the liability and mess for the extra $5 I would save doing it myself. They almost always come back with $32 windshield wipers, $60 air and cabin filters (but that includes installation!) and other BS like air induction cleaning or sanitation service. Which is always a firm no. I can do all of the for a fraction of the cost in under 10 minutes. The Mazda dealer wants $100 in labor to install 4 spark plugs (that cost about $125 for 4). I found OEM for $115 and spent 20 minutes removing the old ones and putting the new ones in.

Kia wants at least $10k over MSPR for a Telluride. No way.
Are the plugs coated in gold?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts