Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had my RL for just a couple of weeks and about 600 miles.

This morning, I noticed something different. Our driveway is on a very slight incline, so I always apply the parking brake. But today when I push on the brake to start the engine, the brake pedal feels locked solid...cannot press it at all. If I press harder, the engine will start and everything is back to normal. It also did this later in the day parked on a level parking lot with no parking brake applied.

Normal, or do you think I have a problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had my BE since last June. I love it. This has happened twice. It happened again today. I open the door that is unlocked (its in my garage). I get in with my key, put my put on the brake pedal and the pedal is solid. It will not go down. I push the start and I get aux mode. I lift my foot off the brake and back on. It still not not go down. The truck will not start. The display just says to put my foot on the brake to start. The first time this happened, I waited a couple of minutes and then it worked. Today, my buddy hit the unlock button on the remote and then the brake pedal went down and the truck started. With the doors unlocked, is there still something that prevents the truck from starting until you hit unlock?
I experienced the same problem over the last year. I thought it was just me or possibly a safety issue because i did not have the door closed when trying to start. Now it is happening more frequently and I have had additional warning lights come up on my dash.
for example
1)keyless start system problem
2)to start, hold remote near start button
3) To start engine: Brake + Start
I took the truck to Honda a diagnostic test showed a bad Start/Stop switch which was replaced. However the next two mornings I experienced the same problem.
Stiff brake pedal therefore start / stop would not fire up the engine.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
No....it was replaced with the same version of booster, problem continued and was never fixed. Maybe by now there is a revised booster (different P/N suffix) available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my RL for just a couple of weeks and about 600 miles.

This morning, I noticed something different. Our driveway is on a very slight incline, so I always apply the parking brake. But today when I push on the brake to start the engine, the brake pedal feels locked solid...cannot press it at all. If I press harder, the engine will start and everything is back to normal. It also did this later in the day parked on a level parking lot with no parking brake applied.

Normal, or do you think I have a problem?
I would say it’s a problem.
I too have experienced a stiff brake pedal which will not allow the start stop to recognize the pedal is being pushed and will not start my Ridgeline.
I had two warning lights come up on the dash.
1 read keyless entry system problem and the
2nd read hold the remote near the start/stop
Dealer was great and did diagnostics test and replaced the start stop switch I picked up the truck The next two consecutive mornings same problem. I applied my foot to the brake pedal and it was stiff pushed the start stop and it would not start.
My truck is back at the dealer because it’s still under warranty.
I’m thinking it’s a break issue like the previous man suggested in this forum.
makes me sad. I love my truck but will never buy another push to start vehicle again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Push to start isn't really a problem in itself. It's when things are made cheaply, not to spec, or designed poorly. It's happening with all sorts of things these days. If you had bought a 2011-2016 Ford you could be having problems with your door latch. Who would have thought after all these years of making cars that you could buy a vehicle and just have the door fly open? I don't think anything is immune from failure these days. Luckily these things still aren't common, but it's not cool to be one of the unlucky ones with a dumb problem like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my BE since last June. I love it. This has happened twice. It happened again today. I open the door that is unlocked (its in my garage). I get in with my key, put my put on the brake pedal and the pedal is solid. It will not go down. I push the start and I get aux mode. I lift my foot off the brake and back on. It still not not go down. The truck will not start. The display just says to put my foot on the brake to start. The first time this happened, I waited a couple of minutes and then it worked. Today, my buddy hit the unlock button on the remote and then the brake pedal went down and the truck started. With the doors unlocked, is there still something that prevents the truck from starting until you hit unlock?
Re: This is a new one

My guess is a bad battery. My 2.5 old Accord got one last week. Yes the pedal was firm but a jump did start the car so I took it to the dealer under the 3/36. It died again at the dealer when they tried to start it to check the mileage. A lot of clicking and flashing lights so I know that it wasn't holding a charge.They gave me a loaner while they did some other checks. So far so good. Hope it was just the battery and not the car.

When a battery gets low or dead all types of crazy stuff happens and the dash can get like an Xmas tree. A long shot may be to use the shift lever release but I would take it to the dealer and have the battery checked.
Recently, my brake pedal was in locked position. As a result, my 2017 Ridgeline would not start. Reason? Battery was dead. Received a jump and good to go!

161 - 172 of 172 Posts