Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Ridgeline has this awful smell coming out of the A/C vents after hard acceleration. It smells to me like rotten eggs or sulfur. It's a different smell than the smell out of the tailpipe.It happens with the recirc button on or off, and also with engine hot or cold. Is anyone else having this problem? This has happened on and off since I've had the truck. I got it mid April, now have 4100 mi. A/C still cooling great, no loss in fluid levels of any kind.
UPDATE-9-11-05
I was taking trash to my Dads house tonight, and as soon as I got to about 50 mph, I started smelling the crud in the cab. ( The trash had a bad odor to start with!) I figured out how it was comming in, along with the exhaust smell! Thru the TRUNK! I adjusted the trunk latch retainer(the latch part IN the trunk) down to compress the weather strip more, and now I'm not getting any more exhaust smells in the cab! I took it on several hard runs tonight and got NO smells! Easy Fix!

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's what mine smelled like right before the A/C died!

There was a leak and it took 4 days to get a part in, you better take it in to get checked out before it fails, that way they can fix it before you suffer too much. Mine stopped cooling more each day then quit. They put in a real nice minty freshener in the ducts after the repair to get the bad smell out.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If the smell is coming in thru your ac vents, there would be two possibilities for the cause. One: the evaporator has sprung a leak (but R134 is odorless). If this is the case, your AC will not be cooling like before or not cooling at all.
Second: try using the heater on high after the engine is warm.
does the odor increases? If it does, it may be a coolant leak in the heating coil.

·
Registered
103 Posts
it might be the catalytic convertor, i have the same prob but i havent gotten it checked out yet. my father had the same prob with his accord and it was the cat. convertor. those are noxious fumes seeping into your truck, dont be like me... get it checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts