Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sticker under the hood says the coolant is good for 10 years. It calls for Honda type 2 coolant which I just bought for my Ody to top it off and I noticed on the bottle it says it's good for 5 years. Kinda of a head scratcher. Maybe the RL's heavy duty radiator extends the coolant range?

·
Registered
89 Posts
i wouldnt go 10 years without changing it i change the hoses on all my cars every 3 years, even though the outside of the hoses look fine the rubber starts to break down from the inside out, learned my lesson the hard way blown hose on my car years ago was stuck in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
vertrkr said:
The sticker under the hood says the coolant is good for 10 years. It calls for Honda type 2 coolant which I just bought for my Ody to top it off and I noticed on the bottle it says it's good for 5 years. Kinda of a head scratcher. Maybe the RL's heavy duty radiator extends the coolant range?
Now that I got my RL, I saw what you are talking about. It mentions a special coolant from the factory that lasts 10 years. It goes on to say to replace it with the Honda type 2 coolant and then replace every 5 years after the 1st one. Therefore, it sounds like the factory coolant is not the type 2 coolant.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swampler said:
Now that I got my RL, I saw what you are talking about. It mentions a special coolant from the factory that lasts 10 years. It goes on to say to replace it with the Honda type 2 coolant and then replace every 5 years after the 1st one. Therefore, it sounds like the factory coolant is not the type 2 coolant.
Ya, I finally read the same. I usually keep cars just about 10 years so I guess I'll really never be changing the coolant.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
vertrkr said:
I usually keep cars just about 10 years so I guess I'll really never be changing the coolant.
Same here, but now I'm curious. My coolant was low and the dealer had to add some coolant. I'm sure they added the type 2 coolant, so does this mean that I know have to replace mine at 5 years because of the added, shorter-life coolant?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts