Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i looked at several forms and i am still confused on what stock security system comes with my 2009 Honda Ridgeline RTL ?

I do not have a security light on the drivers door but i do have one for my radio. When i locked myself inside my truck to test the security i unlocked the drivers door manually with no alarm being set off whatsoever? So i guess my main question is that was the Honda Security System an optional add on when it came from the factory?

I know with the chip in the key will prevent any robber from stealing my truck but what about the contents inside ? I would prefer if my truck can be simply activated to alarm if the doors are opened without using the key fob to sound a alarm.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Did you check the owners manual?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have an '06 RTL w/ Navi/Sunroof, so there's a remote chance it might not be the same. But instead of sitting inside like you have done, I would roll down the window, shut the door (you outside), lock the truck with the keyfob, and then reach through the window & pull up the door lock stem.... and then open the door.
I would think if you have an alarm it will go off in that scenario.

As a bonus, here's the Honda site listing specs for your truck. :) (This list says you have the security system - don't forget to check for a blown fuse)

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2007/Ridgeline/specs#mid^YK1657JNW

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Not sure but did they move alarm security light from door to dash area in later years. Do you get horn honk when you press key fob to look all doors?
If you do open drivers window stand outside after shutting doors press lock button key fob and wait for horn honk. If horn honks alarm should be set pull up on door lock button and open door horn should honk constantly. You can shut door then turn it off by turning key in driver side door lock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so the alarm did go off after rolling down the drivers window and pulling up the lock tab from outside. So technically if someone broke my window it wouldn't sound the alarm unless they unlocked the door from the outside ?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Ok so the alarm did go off after rolling down the drivers window and pulling up the lock tab from outside. So technically if someone broke my window it wouldn't sound the alarm unless they unlocked the door from the outside ?
EDIT: (Deleted erroneous content - corrected via info in subsequent posts - no shock-mode alarm on our trucks)

The (stem-lift) unlocking/opening of the door will activate the alarm (if you didn't deactivate alarm with keyfob or key in the door first).

Unlocking with key-in-door also deactivates alarm, but just pulling up on door lock "stem" does not.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this fellas - going by memory... which ain't what it used to be. :) (Thanks for the corrections below re: shock-mode)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I can only speak for 06 RTL/Navi/Sunroof but it does not have a shock sensor. That means that you can break the glass and anything in reach without opening a door is free game. There were a number of threads on this at the time because the OEM alarm available for non RTL models did have a glass breakage sensor. At one point H&A had a great deal on the OEM alarm for other than RTL models, they were practically giving them away, and severaal folks published their attempts to integrate the OEM non RTL alarm into their RTLs to get the shock sensor. I dont recall anyone having much success.

For my money, a clear or tinted window film is a decent preventive against smash and grab by keeping the glass together, and even clear does a great job of filtering UV so it has multiple benefits of protecting seat backs that get beat with sun and helps keep things cool.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,471 Posts
There is no shock sensor on the OEM security alarm system. Here are the excerpts from the FSM for each. At first glance, they appear to be the same.

2006-2008:

2009-:

·
Super Moderator
23,471 Posts
That's for the USA version. I have no idea if the Canadian version is any different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a good idea !! I was considering on tinting my glass for heat reduction purposes and reducing the chance of someone attempting to smash the glass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know when i hit the lock button twice on my ridgeline the lights flicker and the horn chirps but i do not see a flashing security light on the gauge cluster but i do see it on the radio so i don't know whats up with that. Thank you everyone for your input for all of this. I am just curious on whether i need to upgrade my honda security system.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
i know when i hit the lock button twice on my ridgeline the lights flicker and the horn chirps but i do not see a flashing security light on the gauge cluster but i do see it on the radio so i don't know whats up with that. Thank you everyone for your input for all of this. I am just curious on whether i need to upgrade my honda security system.
The light on the radio is it located/blinking where it says Anti-Theft? If it is that is for radio only. If removed or battery disconnected need code to enter so that light is for Anti-Theft radio.

·
Super Moderator
23,471 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep it is for the radio. I guess the question was whether for the security system is whether there should be a light blinking on my gauge cluster.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,727 Posts
I've had side windows broken on three different occasions with my 08 RTL and no alarm. Broken glass all over the interior, and all my "stuff" missing each time.

·
Super Moderator
23,471 Posts
My old T100 had a shock sensor. It used to go off all the time when thunder was close by. I used to come back from a trip and wonder why my T100's alarm had tripped (I could tell by the beep pattern when I unlocked the door with the remote). Finally, I was nearby one day when thunder rumbled and my alarm went off. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.