61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
9,951 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally, I wish there was a way to stop the rumor of how terrible the factory sub is. While it isn't going to win awards or turn heads, it is MUCH better than popular opinion/beliefs.

The system under construction in my 06 has put the Pioneer designed OEM sub to the test - going WELL beyond any of the attempts by forum members here - at least the ones I'm aware of. I've posted RTA chart proving beyond question the sub produces significant output down to 40Hz range, reaching SPL over 105db.

In addition to measured acoustic performance, this shallow framed, paper coned, foam surround, 8", TEN YEAR OLD sub has been subjected to everything a Zapco ST-X2 running mono could feed it. Merciless beating it with program material that does not pass thru a "sub sonic filter". I can not make it "double" or hyper extend or produce audible stress symptoms associated with over driving a loudspeaker. The only time I've been able to make this thing "sound bad" is by feeding it a 25Hz sine wave - at which point it valiantly tries to produce something reassembling a rumble, but instead can only vibrate its box beyond its flex limits. It does a fine job of rattling the bed wall bracing and the rear window power motor assembly though. Even then the cone itself doesn't "BLAAAAAT" like over extended cones are known to do.

With so many negative comments about its performance, I can only conclude a negative OPINION infects the general mindset. Or a generally poor system used to drive it.

IME: because of severe vehicle space limitations, I've built and measured many, many small footprint or shallow/wide enclosures stuffed with the largest diameter driver would fit on the baffle. NOT ONE of them could keep pace with the OEM RL sub.

Based on that, I'll buck popular opinion and give mine: a home built sub enclosure stuffed with a randomly selected sub driver could NEVER equal the well engineered acoustic quality of the OEM RL. The difference being the RL sub is a system, properly designed from the ground up to BE a sub, with driver compliance optimized specifically for a vented enclosure passing air thru a well engineered flared port virtually eliminating chuffing.
I'm with you since I'm not that picky anyway. Just picked up a 2012 Sport saying goodbye to my trusty 2006 RTL. I was happy with the RTL's stock system. Not so much with the Sport's, no subwoofer. Any ideas for a cheap easy sound upgrade in the sport?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,053 Posts
This is it page 4 post #32. I was told a similar unit would not fit under the front seats. Finally realized I should quote and not quick post. I apologize.

Unfortunately @Beematic hasn't been here since June 2016. So it's doubtful he'll answer, hopefully I'm wrong.

Although it might be a bit of work, You could check eBay and the Trading Post for a stock sub, then a small amp with crossover splitting the low pass and powering the sub. Probably more work to keep the stock head unit, an aftermarket head unit would be easier, with its line out to feed a sub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good advice. I assume this means my head unit can't accommodate the sub. Makes sense since there is no function for the sub in the sound menu. I'm thinking going with a factory sub I've found cheap on eBay and a new after market head unit. The factory sub because it's cheap and would easily mount, of course based on the previous posters assertions that the thing would sounds good with clean power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Subject to dimensional check, that's the first one I've seen that looks like it might actually fit in the OEM subwoofer space behind the rear passenger seat.
That's what I'm looking for. Something that would actually fit in the space. 2006 RT didn't come equipped with sub, but don't want to put one on the floorboard. Would prefer to utilize the space.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's what I'm looking for. Something that would actually fit in the space. 2006 RT didn't come equipped with sub, but don't want to put one on the floorboard. Would prefer to utilize the space.
Have been doing upgrades myself (restoring subwoofer capability to aftermarket unit with small amp) and saw this still available. Cannot tell from the limited drawing if it includes the speaker, but doesn’t list it separately and does say assembly. Mine still seems physically fine, so I am hoping there are no disappointments when I install the new head unit and Kicker PXA200.1 mono subwoofer amplifier.

It’s cheaper on the first link, but an Amazon reseller has it as well and describes it as the complete speaker - and weight looks about right.

I‘ve had pretty good success with the first site as they seem to pull and ship within two business days and gets to me by USPS within a couple of weeks (Fleet Post Office). Been a great single source for all the little parts failing on my 2006.

Good luck on your upgrade!

61 - 70 of 70 Posts