Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 11/11/16 I purchased a 17 RTL AWD Modern Steel Metallic. My truck had 60,000 trouble free miles.
On 11/1/21 after leaving work at 11:00 PM my truck was missing from the parking lot.
Of course, I called the police made the report and followed up with the insurance company.
The claim has been settled and I am now awaiting delivery of a 22 RTL-E Obsidian Blue. To date the truck has not been recovered.
The detective assigned to the case mentioned that two Ridgelines including mine were stolen from the same parking lot that week. This happened in South Florida,Coral Springs.
Has this happened to anyone in the forum?
How are scumbags able to do this?
What can be done to prevent this happening again? Purchasing another type truck is not an option.

Any comments, suggestions etc.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Could it be that they boosted the fob signal? Wouldn't hurt to put the fob in one of those RFID pouches. Not sure about Florida but I read stories of the stolen cars going right into a container and off it goes on a ship to wherever. I not sure if a Honda fob can be boosted to actually make the engine start but it happens on other brands. It's crazy that no tools necessary anymore, just an electronic device. Maybe we all need to go back in time 25 years and start putting clubs back on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Keyfob can be simulated if they can get 3 different presses of the button.
Smart keys are the solution - where a random sequence has to be responded to correctly to allow the engine to run and checked every minute for correct smartkey presense. Combinations of the IEMI and keyfob serial number makes it impossible to emulate with current computer technology. Maybe someday with quantum computers. It requires makers to have a unique code to reprogram each car for a new smartkey - It will be expensive to get a new phone when this occurs as the car will have to be reprogrammed for the new phone. Only dealers will be able to do this and the ECU will disable itself if 16 wrong attempts to change a smartkey are attempted. High end cars will send a 911 call and location code to indicate a car theft is in progress.
I suspect insurance companies would rather pay for a new ECU than a new vehicle.

The old school towing it away will still be a problem until the car is smart enough to see it is moving and the device has to have a seperate battery to do the 911 call in that case. Expect a short battery life when that happens.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On 11/11/16 I purchased a 17 RTL AWD Modern Steel Metallic. My truck had 60,000 trouble free miles.
On 11/1/21 after leaving work at 11:00 PM my truck was missing from the parking lot.
Of course, I called the police made the report and followed up with the insurance company.
The claim has been settled and I am now awaiting delivery of a 22 RTL-E Obsidian Blue. To date the truck has not been recovered.
The detective assigned to the case mentioned that two Ridgelines including mine were stolen from the same parking lot that week. This happened in South Florida,Coral Springs.
Has this happened to anyone in the forum?
How are scumbags able to do this?
What can be done to prevent this happening again? Purchasing another type truck is not an option.

Any comments, suggestions etc.
This does not make me feel good about leaving my brand new 2022 in an airport parking lot yesterday about 30 mins from Coral Springs... hopefully she's still there on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,564 Posts
I remember on my old '92 Dakota, I got an aftermarket alarm kit from Sam's Club (paid $59 for it and insurance gave me a $65 discount!).

That alarm had a toggle switch you wire up and hide under the dash. Flip the toggle one way and it kills the ignition. Flip it the other way and it kills the ignition one minute after being started.

The idea was that if you got car-jacked, one minute would give time for the armed car-jacker to get safely away from you before the vehicle died.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts