Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It's a Jeep / Chrysler / Fiat and quality problems are the norm. I was taking a walk today remembering consulting gigs with Chrysler from the mid-80s and the company striving to overcome quality issues. They had one plan after another of how they were going to engineer and build world-class, Honda beating, vehicles. I remember walking through the new Chrysler Technology Center in the early 90s and seeing posters about how the new Dodge Neon was going to meet and beat the Civic. The company has a legacy of poor quality vehicles, as exhibited by the used 02 Dakota I owned that was a member of the repair-of-the-month club.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's a Jeep / Chrysler / Fiat and quality problems are the norm. I was taking a walk today remembering consulting gigs with Chrysler from the mid-80s and the company striving to overcome quality issues. They had one plan after another of how they were going to engineer and build world-class, Honda beating, vehicles. I remember walking through the new Chrysler Technology Center in the early 90s and seeing posters about how the new Dodge Neon was going to meet and beat the Civic. The company has a legacy of poor quality vehicles, as exhibited by the used 02 Dakota I owned that was a member of the repair-of-the-month club.

It's the same ZF 9-speed that Honda is struggling with.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm almost done reading this:

I'm up to the part where the government auto task force asks Rick Wagoner (then CEO of GM) to step down. The Chrysler-Fiat shotgun marriage is up next, I think.

The amount of executive inbreeding in GM + Chrysler was amazing. Ford was only saved because they hired Mulally from Boeing who had an outsider's viewpoint.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
No big loss. The Renegade looks like a poor substitute for a Honda Element.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But the Element is no longer sold by Honda.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the book, I'll check it out.

FYI - Best book on (what's wrong with) the auto industry I've read so far...'The Machine that Changed the World'

Now reissued with a new Foreword and Afterword, Machine contrasts two fundamentally different business systems -- lean versus mass, two very different ways of thinking about how humans work together to create value. Based on the largest and most thorough study ever undertaken of any industry -- MIT's five-year, fourteen-country International Motor Vehicle Program -- this book describes the entire managerial system of lean production.

" Nearly twenty years ago, Womack, Jones, and Roos provided a comprehensive description of the entire lean system. They exhaustively documented its advantages over the mass production model pioneered by General Motors and predicted that lean production would eventually triumph. Indeed, they argued that it would triumph not just in manufacturing but in every value-creating activity from health care to retail to distribution. "

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm almost done reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030P1WS6

I'm up to the part where the government auto task force asks Rick Wagoner (then CEO of GM) to step down. The Chrysler-Fiat shotgun marriage is up next, I think.

The amount of executive inbreeding in GM + Chrysler was amazing. Ford was only saved because they hired Mulally from Boeing who had an outsider's viewpoint.

Chip H.
Agreed with you! good job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts