Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to store my 2020 ridgeline RTL E for about 3- 4 months. Should I disconnect the battery ? I have read that the battery will die after sitting a while unused. If I do disconnect it are there any things I should know such as loss of memory/programming or will this all be saved. I really don't want to leave a trickle on it unattended for 4 months.

·
Administrator
16,025 Posts
It'll be dead as a doornail after that long. Disconnect the battery and fully charge the battery. Then, fully charge the battery again before reconnecting it and you should be good to go.

Also, put the vehicle on jack stands to prevent flat-spotting the tires. If that's not possible, inflate the tires to the maximum pressure shown on the sidewall of the tire.

Honda no longer includes a long-term storage section in the Owner's Manuals, but what's stated in the 2014 manual still applies.

Vehicle Storage
If you need to park your vehicle for an extended period (more than 1 month), there are several things you should do to prepare it for storage. Proper preparation helps prevent deterioration and makes it easier to get your vehicle back on the road. If possible, store your vehicle indoors.
  • Fill the fuel tank.
  • Wash and dry the exterior completely.
  • Clean the interior. Make sure the carpeting, floor mats, etc., are completely dry.
  • Leave the parking brake off. Put the transmission in Park.
  • Block the rear wheels.
  • If the vehicle is to be stored for a longer period, it should be supported on jackstands so the tires are off the ground.
  • Leave one window open slightly (if the vehicle is being stored indoors).
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Support the front wiper blade arms with a folded towel or rag so they do not touch the windshield.
  • To minimize sticking, apply a silicone spray lubricant to all door, In-Bed Trunk lid, and tailgate seals. Also, apply a vehicle body wax to the painted surfaces that mate with the door, In-Bed Trunk lid and tailgate seals.
  • Cover the vehicle with a ‘‘breathable’’ cover, one made from a porous material such as cotton. Non-porous materials, such as plastic sheeting, trap moisture, which can damage the paint.
  • If possible, periodically run the engine until it reaches full operating temperature (the cooling fans cycle on and off twice). Preferably, do this once a month.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts