Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was one of the first to park my 2008 Ridgeline getting a rental truck way back in mid February. I had been starting my truck every week but had not moved it. i went out the other day finally and moved my truck in the driveway, or tried to anyway. In less than 8 weeks the ebrake was rusted stuck. It was quite an effort to get is broke free. so i drove it around my side street to knock the rust off the rotors. they were perfect before, but now feel extremely warped and when you press on the brake, the whole truck shakes violently and it sounds like gremlins are beating on my rotors with tiny sledge hammers.

So my word of advice, if you take a loaner for your air bag recall, make sure you go out every week and drive your ridge around the block, or at least turn it around in your driveway so your brakes don't cease up. otherwise you will be like me doing a complete 4 wheel break job.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How shocking i didn't see post #292 of over 1,000 posts in the airbag thread :) That is why i wanted to make a separate post so others would see it and realize they cant just park their truck for 6 months. I know there is some element of common sense on the owners part (which i thought i was doing), but I would think the people at Honda corporate, and the dealership would have also had the common sense to go over the storage procedure with affected owners when they go to get their loaners. This would have prevented a big hassle for me.

I have a steep driveway which is why I always use the parking brake. I last did my brakes and rotors 30k miles ago, so they are due anyway, but i was hoping to get a few more miles on them before having to spend an entire afternoon with the truck jacked up in the air.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
I had to take a photo of the milage before I could get a rental, assume I could forfeit the free truck expense if used. Also my battery went dead on the RL in 2 weeks. After 3 weeks of being without the RL I am beginning to get pissed off about the whole situation. I also do not like the rental blocking my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,103 Posts
There is also this thread that you missed, which is only 2 pages and would link you to the info you needed. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/103-first-generation-2006-2014/129537-storing-ridgeline-airbag-recall.html if you had looked into "Storing" in the search window you would have found this.

And, Here's the important thing, owners who took on the responsibility of storing the Ridgeline at home because "they knew better" & "it was safer" than the dealer, should atleast be familiar with or review the owners manual prior to attempting such an endeavor. If the dealership had stored it and the battery died, brakes seized or what ever else occurred, they or AHM would be responsible for the repairs. The Owners Manual had had this in it since I purchased my RL in 2005. Which there is also a PDF version available from Honda's website.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I have a steep driveway which is why I always use the parking brake. I last did my brakes and rotors 30k miles ago, so they are due anyway, but i was hoping to get a few more miles on them before having to spend an entire afternoon with the truck jacked up in the air.
One thing that it sounds like you may be unfamiliar with Shamrock:

Your parking brake is completely independent of your discs & rotors. So while you may have been religious about servicing your discs/rotors/calipers, I'm willing to bet that you have never serviced your parking brakes, except to the extent you might have replaced your rear rotors.... which are also incidentally your rear drums (most have not, including myself).

Your parking brakes are a drum brake set up that is ONLY activated by the parking brake pedal. The small drum for these resides on the back side (inside) of your rear rotors. There are a pair of shoes there, very similar to typical drum brakes that were common last century.

So, any issues you experienced with your disc brakes would not likely be rooted in the fact that your parking brake was set.... just to be clear. I suppose it is possible (??) that your efforts to "Break free" those rear drum/shoes of your parking brakes could have had some collateral effect on your rear disc brakes, but I seriously doubt that. Likely all of your woes could have been reversed by a servicing of your parking brakes only (which "may" have necessitated new rotors if the drums were somehow damaged).

Anyway.... 'thought you'd want to know. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I was one of the first to park my 2008 Ridgeline getting a rental truck way back in mid February. I had been starting my truck every week but had not moved it. i went out the other day finally and moved my truck in the driveway, or tried to anyway. In less than 8 weeks the ebrake was rusted stuck. It was quite an effort to get is broke free. so i drove it around my side street to knock the rust off the rotors. they were perfect before, but now feel extremely warped and when you press on the brake, the whole truck shakes violently and it sounds like gremlins are beating on my rotors with tiny sledge hammers.

So my word of advice, if you take a loaner for your air bag recall, make sure you go out every week and drive your ridge around the block, or at least turn it around in your driveway so your brakes don't cease up. otherwise you will be like me doing a complete 4 wheel break job.
Yep, should have read this first. Need brakes and honda wont pay for them from sitting.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,103 Posts
Yep, should have read this first. Need brakes and honda wont pay for them from sitting.
BMW, at your house or at the dealership?

If with them, they should have maintained it properly.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,190 Posts
I last did my brakes and rotors 30k miles ago, so they are due anyway, but i was hoping to get a few more miles on them before having to spend an entire afternoon with the truck jacked up in the air.
I am simply amazed that some are getting such reduced service life from the pads and rotors. I changed the rear OEM pads on my RL at 75k-ish miles. Still on the OEM front pads and front and rear rotors at 100k miles. On the Pilot at 129k miles, I'm on my 2nd set of OEM replacement pads (originals replaced at ~53k-ish miles, then again around 105k-ish miles). Still on the original rotors.

For those having issues from sitting so long, I'd be tempted to take it to a safe place and stand on the brakes from speed and see if that fixes the vibration issue.

I crank my RL weekly and drive it 2-4 miles around my neighborhood. I have zero braking issues. While I don't leave my parking brake set in the garage. I do use it weekly when I back out of my garage and park in the driveway as my driveway has a bit of slope to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts