Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
this one is gonna sound a bit strange, but here goes:
I'm a vollunteer firefighter and I need to install a siren in my ridgeline. I've done this in several cars and trucks before, but here's my dilemma with the ridgeline:
I can not find an access hole through the firewall. Most cars and trucks have a hole with a rubber grommet that has some wires running through it. Honda has done such a good job at routing and hiding it's wiring that I can't find a way from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment. I only need to run 4 wires through - so not a big deal. I tried removing the glove box because that's usualy the best place to start, but no luck back there.
Any advice? Are you of you a Honda tech that might know the answer here?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
200 Posts
Matt,

If you are not installing fog lamps, why don't you use the connecters made for them, that way you have an under the hood fuse, and all you need to add is the under dash switch.

The instructions are here.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/foglights.pdf

If you are installing them, well then I dont know what to say, keep looking there is bound to be a place.

Good Luck

Matthew Dworman said:
Hi guys,
this one is gonna sound a bit strange, but here goes:
I'm a vollunteer firefighter and I need to install a siren in my ridgeline. I've done this in several cars and trucks before, but here's my dilemma with the ridgeline:
I can not find an access hole through the firewall. Most cars and trucks have a hole with a rubber grommet that has some wires running through it. Honda has done such a good job at routing and hiding it's wiring that I can't find a way from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment. I only need to run 4 wires through - so not a big deal. I tried removing the glove box because that's usualy the best place to start, but no luck back there.
Any advice? Are you of you a Honda tech that might know the answer here?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
H345 said:

Follow the main harness at the circuit box back to the cab .

Hi H345 - That's the first thing that I looked at. The main harness goes into the dash behind the instrument cluster which I don't really want to take apart to access from the inside....
Good thought though.
Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
delphi7x10 said:
Matt,

If you are not installing fog lamps, why don't you use the connecters made for them, that way you have an under the hood fuse, and all you need to add is the under dash switch.
That's a pretty neat idea. Unfortunately, it requires special connectors which although I'm sure I can special order as separate from the foglight kit would preclude to be dificult. Also, the connections run through a relay which would require my headlights to be on and on in the low position. That's not a big deal, but I'm installing "wig-wag's" which alternates high-beam and low beam on either headlight which I fear would not permit the relay to funtion.....
Thanks for the input.
Matt

·
Registered
200 Posts
Matt,

Here is another idea, call American Honda customer service, my guess is they would love to see a Ridgeline used this way, and would have someone who knows get back to you. It would make great PR for them, and could sell some extra Ridgeline, and allit will cost you is a phone call.

Try them and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Matt, I installed wires/harness for the WigWags and the Whelen siren through the rubber grommet above the accelerator pedal. I pulled power from the switched accessory outlet on the center console and mounted the Whelen within the center console (out of sight). The switch for the WigWags is between the heated seat switches.

So nothing is seen if you sit inside or look through the windows :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds awesome. Can you send me an e-mail explaining a bit more in detail how you did it? I assume you removed the center console, etc. What did you use for a switch? Any pics would be appreciated as well:
[email protected]
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Matt- I installed a whelen PAH electronic airhorn. I mounted it right above the drivers side front wheel and as far as running the wires, the best way to do it is what h345 said. The way i did it was shined a flashlight directly at the main wires in to the cab. they are surrounded by a rubber gromet on the drivers side and then i went into the cab under neath the stearing colum and followed the wires until i saw the flashlights' light. I then fed a fish tape thru and pulled the wires thru and hooked then up to the control box. If i take the front bumper off in the near future i will post pics.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Hey there bark7074, hate tell you, but this thread is 6.5 years old. ;)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,206 Posts
Hey there bark7074, hate tell you, but this thread is 6.5 years old. ;)
Yeah, but the OP never told us what he ended up doing.

Still, DEAD THREAD!

As winter approaches and I again consider getting heated seatcovers for all fives seating positions that will exceed power available in the cab... this is perfect timing!
But on the other hand, if it moves Ian finally to provide for heating his passengers' butts…well, who am I to judge?;act028:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Well, we have yet to see his passengers' butts. They could already be pretty hot. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts