Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was in heavy stop and go traffic, and the ridge started studdering a little bit. Finally traffic started moving, and then I kicked out of drive completely. Pulled over to see the coolant reservoir overflowing with brownish red liquid and the transmission fluid is bone dry at the needle. Is this the dreaded issue I think I is?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on your RL?
Around 130k. Its Sunday, so in this part of the world I cant get anything fixed. Probably trying to limp it home by adding transmission fluid would be a bad idea, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Probably failed radiator and or transmission cooler leaking...definately don't drive it. Check other posts on this subject.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Around 130k. Its Sunday, so in this part of the world I cant get anything fixed. Probably trying to limp it home by adding transmission fluid would be a bad idea, wouldn't it?
Yes. Do not do this if you want to have any hope of saving your tranny.

Chances are the radiator/tranny fitting has failed and allowed the tranny fluid and coolant to mix.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ctures-corroded-rusted-radiator-fittings.html

You will at least need a new radiator and a good flush of the tranny, not a power flush, but one using the engine driven pump to suck in fresh fluid while you run the outlet to a waste container to catch the old.

Hopefully you didn't drive it far once the problem became evident. But trying to limp along in that scenario seems to be the kiss of death for the tranny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. Do not do this if you want to have any hope of saving your tranny.

Chances are the radiator/tranny fitting has failed and allowed the tranny fluid and coolant to mix.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ctures-corroded-rusted-radiator-fittings.html

You will at least need a new radiator and a good flush of the tranny, not a power flush, but one using the engine driven pump to suck in fresh fluid while you run the outlet to a waste container to catch the old.

Hopefully you didn't drive it far once the problem became evident. But trying to limp along in that scenario seems to be the kiss of death for the tranny.
Thanks! I shut it down as soon as it slipped out of drive. The stupidity of it all was I brought this up to the dealer when I took it in for an airbag recall last week and they looked at me like I was crazy.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Same here. My dealer doesn't seem to see/acknowledge this to be a problem. And maybe it's not in my area. But if it is dissimilar metal corrosion, then the area I live in shouldn't matter. If it's a rust belt only issue, that's another story.

I suggest replacing the radiator when the TB/WP service is done. It's (relatively) cheap insurance, and is what I've been doing.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Another one bites the dust! Sorry to hear of your woes. Hopefully you'll be fine after a relatively inexpensive fluid flush & new radiator. Be SURE they drain & fill the tranny at least 4 times, unless they actually have some kind of displacement method to purge all of the old fluid (I haven't seen mention of much along those lines in threads here). You only get about 1/3 of the fluid out each time it's drained (the rest remains trapped in the tranny), so they will have to do the multiple D&Fs to get all of the contamination out. It's laid out pretty will in other threads like the one Speed provided. But whatever you do, be sure you have pristine tranny fluid before you get back to daily use.
I suppose it's possible that you only had a one way failure (tranny to radiator & not vice versa), in which case you'll be very lucky. But I'd be looking to see very clean fluid before being satisfied.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another one bites the dust! Sorry to hear of your woes. Hopefully you'll be fine after a relatively inexpensive fluid flush & new radiator. Be SURE they drain & fill the tranny at least 4 times, unless they actually have some kind of displacement method to purge all of the old fluid (I haven't seen mention of much along those lines in threads here). You only get about 1/3 of the fluid out each time it's drained (the rest remains trapped in the tranny), so they will have to do the multiple D&Fs to get all of the contamination out. It's laid out pretty will in other threads like the one Speed provided. But whatever you do, be sure you have pristine tranny fluid before you get back to daily use.
I suppose it's possible that you only had a one way failure (tranny to radiator & not vice versa), in which case you'll be very lucky. But I'd be looking to see very clean fluid before being satisfied.
Thanks, I found the only U-haul in North Central Tennessee with an auto transport trailer. The guy working at the gas station didn't even know he had it. Got it to an independent garage yesterday evening. Will pass this info on to them and update this post on the progress. This has been a pretty crappy ordeal, but at least nobody was hurt-- except my wallet.:crying:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had to update my situation- Found a great independent mechanic that replaced the radiator, and flushed the system with 20 quarts of Honda transmission fluid. All in all the whole experience from getting stuck at 200 miles from home to the repair cost around $1500. Finally, the mechanic said that he won't guarantee the transmission, and don't go on any long trips. He recommends his Honda customers get the radiator replaced at 100K.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Thanks for the update.

While I don't take long trips very often, I wouldn't like having my truck limited to short trips because it is my only vehicle. I would either take it on a long test trip to see what happens or sell it.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
He recommends his Honda customers get the radiator replaced at 100K.
Thanks for the update.

My suggestion is to do the radiator when you do the TB/WP service. I'm doing that around 120k miles in my RL and Pilot.

Reactions: coolbob and Carsmak
1 - 13 of 13 Posts