Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the truck home on the first notably warm day this year, and I expected the AC to come on. (I have an RTL with automatic climate control.) However, even when the temperature was well above 80 and the temperature set at 70 and "auto" mode, the fans were still just blowing unconditioned air. I manually set the AC to "on" and it started to blow cold air. I then went back to auto and it turned off. Experimenting with the AC shows that it will only come on sometimes, but more often than not it does not. If I cycle the AC on and off a few times, it will usually kick on and then it'll be cold.

It doesn't seem to be related to the system being able to read the temperature, and obviously the mechanics of the AC system seem to be working properly when they are told to. This seems like a signal problem. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Search the forum, there are several post on climate controls / sensor testing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is for MY 09'-12', but I know I have seen similar post for the 06'-08'.
Link<<<<<

·
Administrator
16,088 Posts
Does it blow cold air in defrost mode?

Is the outside air temperature indicator in the instrument cluster displaying the correct temperature?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Try going to "dual" mode (turn passenger temp dial), and then back again to auto, play with this a few times (maybe also the "inside air" button). You may find that your air diverter doors (they're actually called something else) are getting stuck. This is a pretty common problem.... if they are just stuck they can break loose after a few attempts (mine still do this sometimes)..... but if your door motor is shot, then you need more serious repair efforts.

It could be other things also, but this is one to rule out with a little playing around with the controls.

EDIT: "BLEND" doors is what they are called I believe.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I was subscribed to this thread. I guess not.

Anyway, at this point the AC doesn't normally come on using defrost. Sometimes it will, but often it will not. The compressor is not turning on. If I cycle the system between "AC off" and "AC on" I can get it to start up, but sometimes this takes a dozen attempts. Once the compressor is on, the air is cold. The system will cool down to the specified temperature and then the compressor will cycle off (as it's supposed to). It often does not cycle back on as it is supposed to when the temperature rises, however. If I wait long enough, it will sometimes come back on, but other times the temp is so high to be unbearable and I have to manually cycle the AC on and off to get the compressor to kick on again.

The outside air temperature in the gauge cluster seems accurate and the temperature to which the HVAC cools or heats seems accurate as well. No problem with heat.

It's like the climate control system knows what to do, but the signal to turn the compressor on does not always make it to the compressor. Or the clutch is not told to engage it. This seems more electrical than mechanical.

I can run through some climate control tests later.

·
Administrator
16,088 Posts
My instincts tell me the climate control head is probably working properly. I believe the compressor "on" signal goes from the climate control head to the PCM which then completes a ground to the A/C clutch coil relay which then energizes the coil and turns the compressor. I suspect a faulty A/C clutch coil relay as the most likely cause, but it could be also be a poor connection of faulty clutch coil as well. I doubt there is a problem with the climate control head or PCM as those devices are solid state so they're typically either going to work or not work instead of being intermittent like something electromechanical like a relay or connection.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, it seems like it's closer to the clutch to me. Sort of a relief, especially if it's just a relay. Just need to locate that relay. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the relay (under the hood in a box, passenger side) and ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

It's not OEM, but maybe that's a good thing since the OEM seems to be prone to failure. The original didn't rattle or seem damaged, but the new one seems to have fixed it. The weather hasn't really been that hot lately to try it out, but the AC did come on right away yesterday after the truck had been sitting in a sunny parking lot for a few hours. Hopefully the relay did the trick!

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
519 Posts
Relays seem to be a common problem these days with several auto manufacturers. If the replacement relay doesn't fully cure the issue, I would then have the A/C pressures checked. When diagnosing intermittent A/C issues, it was common to find the refrigerant pressure just low enough to cause the low pressure switch to teeter between allowing the system to cycle on, or not, causing the intermittent condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts