Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With my stock radio's lights dying a second time, I'm considering replacing the radio and joining the 21st century...

2007 RTS.

I'd like to be able to play music via Bluetooth from my Galaxy S6 active. CD player desired, but not required.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good radio? I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, so I'd like to hold things under $200 if possible. Retaining the steering wheel controls is a must. Don't care about Pandora (got that on the phone), Sirius, XM or navigation. ESPECIALLY not interested in navigation.

AM, FM, CD (desired, but not a show stopper if not included) and Bluetooth (also a must) is what I'm looking for mainly.

Suggest away.

Roak

PS. Does the 2007 RTS have a subwoofer? That's one of the Crutchfield questions when I go looking on their site.

· Premium Member
388 Posts
Pioneer makes great headunits, and in your price range you should be able to purchase one no problem. Check sonic electronic and crutchfield.
Does your ridgeline have factory Nav? My 06 ridgeline has subwoofer. Quick easy way to see if you have subwoofer is to raise rear seat and look on rear passenger side see if you spot a black enclosed unit.. Good luck

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your ridgeline have factory Nav? Quick easy way to see if you have subwoofer is to raise rear seat and look on rear passenger side see if you spot a black enclosed unit.. Good luck
Nope, the RTS trim level had the CD changer, not nav. I assume from your description that the rear underseat storage unit (which I have) would not work if I had a subwoofer:

O2

· Premium Member
388 Posts
Correct.. But there are many members that have behind seat subwoofers. Check out some of members threads.
Are you looking to add bass and how much?

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
With my stock radio's lights dying a second time, I'm considering replacing the radio and joining the 21st century...

2007 RTS.

I'd like to be able to play music via Bluetooth from my Galaxy S6 active. CD player desired, but not required.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good radio? I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, so I'd like to hold things under $200 if possible. Retaining the steering wheel controls is a must. Don't care about Pandora (got that on the phone), Sirius, XM or navigation. ESPECIALLY not interested in navigation.

AM, FM, CD (desired, but not a show stopper if not included) and Bluetooth (also a must) is what I'm looking for mainly.

Suggest away.

Roak

PS. Does the 2007 RTS have a subwoofer? That's one of the Crutchfield questions when I go looking on their site.
According to Car Gurus, RTS trim included a sub. It's located behind the upper back seat mounted to the rear cab wall.

STRONG recommendation to go with a touch screen head unit. Primarily because *most* touch style user interfaces offer MUCH more intuitive feature navigation than heads with hard-keys and nested menus.

Almost every familiar name brand out there offers one or more options in your price range. Example is the Pioneer AVH-280BT but I'm biased towards their devices because I'm familiar with them - so grain of salt. Also note that in the touch screen category, designers can lay some real stinkers in the hands of buyers. Might be worth your while to stop by a local big box store and play around with a few different demo units just to get a feel for whats available.

Have you poked around the forum enough to know your options for utilizing the factory sub? What it comes down to is: not all head units can be configured to drive the sub and front speakers without an outboard amp. So you've got to factor that into your plan. There's a few small external amp options that'll make good use of the factory sub and still be cost effective. Search for a post by forum member "soccerdad" - sometime in the last year or so, he DIY'd a head and small amp that filled his expectations nicely.

Best of luck!

· Premium Member
372 Posts
I installed a Kenwood model that sounds good and works fine with the factory sub. Does bluetooth music/phone and has HDMI/USB input.
I can connect my phone and display it using the hdmi (have to control with thr phone though) if I'm using the phone to nav. Pandora and Iheart radio as well as other apps are included.(you can control the phone pandora from the screen)

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you looking to add bass and how much?
I'm looking to add Bluetooth, nothing more.

At the same time I don't want to lose anything either, like the subwoofer.

Just did what I should have done in the first place, checked out the radio and yes, I do have a subwoofer.

Roak

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,179 Posts
Roak,

First, if you're looking for a full package in order to keep your subwoofer and steering wheel controls AND get the things you want at around your budget, I suggest all of these:

- Pioneer FH-X731BT ($140 on Crutchfield with all installation equipment included)
- Metra Axxess ASWC-1 unit ($48 on Amazon)
- Sound Storm SCSCM200 mono amplifier ($34 on Amazon)
- 8 gauge wiring kit for amp ($12 on Amazon)

I would also highly suggest you swap out your factory dash tweeters. Higher quality head units expose the terrible quality of the factory speakers/tweeters. You will at least get much better highs by doing that. laserguy's lengthy thread on this is a wealth of knowledge and a good pair is only about $30-40. Lastly, I also echo OhSix's thoughts on getting a touchscreen head unit. The user menus are much more intuitive and it's just a nicer looking unit in general. The Pioneer AVH-2800 runs about $250 on Crutchfield, but I think it's a great buy.

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for detailing the parts Ian, helps a lot. Crutchfield has an "installation package" that maintains steering wheel controls -- do you recommend the Metra Axxess over that?

...and funny, I had already started leaning towards the AVH-2800BS... So much for $200 :)

O2

· Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to everyone, but I am brand new to this board only because I just bought my 2007 Ridgeline 2 weeks ago, so I excited and started a thread called "Installation of Android China deck".
I had installed it myself with subwoofer and amp.
It comes with wifi, gps, steering wheel control, backup camera, Older ipod interface, handsfree bluetooth and more.
For the $180us delivered to my door in Canada, I felt was worth it.
I am in the middle of adding OBD2 bluetooth Torque app.
I'll post more pics in a bit.
I'm intending to custom build a subwoofer box, I've been reading.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
Thanks for detailing the parts Ian, helps a lot. Crutchfield has an "installation package" that maintains steering wheel controls -- do you recommend the Metra Axxess over that?

...and funny, I had already started leaning towards the AVH-2800BS... So much for $200 :)

O2
May not be the 2800, but it may be close...

Pioneer 6.2" - CD/DVD - Built-In Bluetooth - Apple iPod-Ready - In-Dash Receiver with Fixed Faceplate Black AVH-280BT - Best Buy

Only until 12, midnight, 10/06/16 or supplies run out

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so what do you do for trim around something like that if you don't buy a "package" from a place like Crutchfield?

Prompt answer would be appreciated since it's a killer deal!

Roak

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Decided to hold off and wait for the Christmas sales to start, but now that I'm more edumacated, I know that I can buy all the stuff I need a la carte. This opens up more possibilities. For now I'm going to back off, more thoroughly explore the possibilities... and probably end up spending too much money. :)

That you all for your help, none of your suggestions have gone to waste, I now have a much better idea of what's required.

Roak

Ps. chodo111, thanks for your suggestion, but in order for anyone to consider your option you're going to have to give a lot more information, like part numbers, links to where you can buy the exact parts you used, etc. The more DIY a solution is, the better you have to document it for others to be able to duplicate it or leverage from it.

· Registered
7 Posts

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,179 Posts
Decided to hold off and wait for the Christmas sales to start, but now that I'm more edumacated, I know that I can buy all the stuff I need a la carte. This opens up more possibilities. For now I'm going to back off, more thoroughly explore the possibilities... and probably end up spending too much money. :)

That you all for your help, none of your suggestions have gone to waste, I now have a much better idea of what's required.

Roak

Ps. chodo111, thanks for your suggestion, but in order for anyone to consider your option you're going to have to give a lot more information, like part numbers, links to where you can buy the exact parts you used, etc. The more DIY a solution is, the better you have to document it for others to be able to duplicate it or leverage from it.
You can get all the installation parts you'd need on Amazon or Ebay. That's the route I went simply because I didn't need to employ the technical support provided by Crutchfield. CF's prices are a bit higher, but you do get everything in one package and their customer support is spectacular. Dash install kits, wiring harnesses, antenna adapters and whatnot are all available very inexpensively, so you can choose whichever route you think is best. I did my entire audio system (head unit, amp, sub, front components and all accessories) for under $600. $400 of that was for a quality head unit. When in doubt, spend a little more on the head unit. Even "bargain" or "off brand" speakers, subs and amps can sound great if you know what you're looking for and provide them with the proper level of signal quality and power.

Reactions: strikingviking

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.