Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this video you will see a Stow Away hitch tightener that took away 75% of my clanging and banging.

I still have some noise from banging and clanging as shown on this video.

Questions: 1. How to eliminate more of this noise. 2. How tight is too tight on the adjustment bolt that receives the hitch ball.

Note, after I filmed this video, I tighten the adjustment nut about 2/3rds of a turn, and it seemed to tighten the ball in the socket a bit. I am reluctant to do much more until I get a bit more input. Besides, I'm not out towing till next week.

Yes, I do have a 2" ball, with the correct shank size.

https://youtu.be/be-KCHKffJQ

Attachments

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
If you can find a thin bicycle tire tube, you can cut it up and wrap it around the tow bar and that might help.

The torque on the ball nut should be 250 ft-lbs.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
You need to tighten up the nut that holds in the the ball clamp on the trailer receiver. You need to hold a mirror up under the hitch to see the nut. You will have zero play after you tighten it. Don't over tighten it to the point where it won't move.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Should have watched your video first.

I agree with tightening the hitch nut. I have also covered the hitch ball with some real heavy bearing type grease which also helps, but it goes away pretty quickly....you have to keep applying it, and it is really messy.

Based on looking at your video, the vertical and front to back seem worst which tightening the hitch nut will help. Perhaps a new hitch clamp, the part the nut tightens down on, would be in order? I would be tempted to go buy a new ball (Walmart, Uhaul) and check it in the same way you did in your video for clearances. Nowadays all this Chinese stuff we are forced to buy could be slightly out of tolerance on the small side.

just thinkin out loud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts