Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I nearly overheated my 2017 RT AWD while trying to get my travel trailer backed correctly up a steep incline in my stepson’s driveway. (I’m not a great backer as I just got the trailer, so it took me a number of tries. Gauge never went to hot, no warning lights, but I caught a whiff of antifreeze and the fan kicked on. The next day while towing under normal conditions, we could smell a sulfur smell every time we slowed to a stop (thru the vent system, fresh air and no ac. This continued after we parked the trailer and drove around to hike a couple days, but was less strong. It was stronger when we hooked up for the drive home. Since then, I wasn’t smelling it at all. Took it to a mechanic I trust, who agreed it might be a catalytic converter issue. He checked fluids and other things (all good), but he doesn’t do exhaust work so couldn’t check converter. He recommended Seafoam added to a low tank. I was at a third or less in my gas tank, so added 16 ounces Seafoam and drove 60 miles home. Had to fill up as I got close to home. Today I hooked up the trailer and drove it up and down the hilly terrain here to a local campground, practiced backing for awhile (I need the practice!) on flat ground, then drove it home. It got a good hour of a good workout. I did catch just a faint whiff of sulfur a few times, but nothing like last week. Should I do another Seafoam treatment and call it good, or take it to an exhaust place? Or take it to dealer, but that’s two hours away... I have 65,000 miles and federal emisdions warranty gives me 80,000 miles for a defective catalytic converter (assuming you can call this defective and not “damaged” by me?)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
If the cat fails, you should get a warning (CEL) on the dash, and probably a code. There are O2 sensors upstream and downstream of the cat to monitor this.

If that occurs, take it to a Honda dealer straightaway, and they can read the codes.

When your MM comes up to change the trans fluid, you might consider a D&F (drain and fill three times, with a little driving between each drain - Honda's version of a trans flush). You can search the forum for details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts