Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many trucks have more plastic external components "now a days" to lighten the truck( for fuel economy, lower cost(?) I hope the UV inhibitors are effective in this black plastic. I typically keep my vehicle for at least ten years and worry about the longevity of all this plastic especially since I will be moving to a arrid area with over 300 sunny days a year. Any suggestions besides garage, park in shade (good luck)? Kevlar paint coating of some areas? Are the plastic protective liquids/spray effective without a glossy sheen or greasy finish?

· Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
116 Posts
I've found that the ICE spray on car wax works amazing for black plastics on vehicles. Before my ridgeline I had a Subaru Crosstrek and that had more plastic rocker paneling than you could shake a stick at. And it was textured to look like carbon fiber to boot. The ICE kept it looking black as night and no greasy look for the time I had the car, which certainly was not 10 years but I wouldn't expect 10 year old exterior plastic to have the same luster as 1 year old plastic.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
Consider installing tint with a good amount of uv and ir protection. If you live in an area with a lot of sun you may consider using said tint on your windshield at 70 percent. Windshield stays really clear but still blocks uv and ir.

· Registered
55 Posts
I have been using 303 Aerospace Protectant in place of Armor All for years and I can not speak highly enough about the results. It virtually eliminates UV fade and it does an amazing job of cleaning leathers and plastics. It is marketed toward the boat & RV market but it works great as an interior detailing spray, it leaves a nice matte sheen that is not sticky and does not attract dirt and dust. I also use it on my seats and motorcycle leathers.

· Registered
353 Posts
303 Aerospace Protectant does a great job on tires, too. It gives them a nice satiny sheen, instead of that phony looking wet gloss of most tire dressings.

Also, it is water based, so it doesn't leech the oils out of plastic materials.

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
After 4 years of 2010 Ridgeline being garaged at night and sitting out in the sun during the day, the black plastic bed rails, rear window garnish, splash guards, and rear bumper step still looked brand new. I never put anything on the plastic. Honda must have used a very good formula for these parts. I can only hope all the additional plastic on the 2017 is made from the same stuff. A friend's late-model Jeep Wrangler looked awful after only a few years. He recently used the "heat gun method" to restore the color, but the texture is now uneven.

I used Hot Spring Cover Shield and 303 Aerospace Protectant religiously on my hot tub cover for years. A friend of mine has an older version of the same hot tub I do which also sits out in direct sunlight. His is in better condition than mine and he's never put a thing on it. :(

· Registered
328 Posts
After 4 years of 2010 Ridgeline being garaged at night and sitting out in the sun during the day, the black plastic bed rails, rear window garnish, splash guards, and rear bumper step still looked brand new. I never put anything on the plastic. Honda must have used a very good formula for these parts. I can only hope all the additional plastic on the 2017 is made from the same stuff. A friend's late-model Jeep Wrangler looked awful after only a few years. He recently used the "heat gun method" to restore the color, but the texture is now uneven.

I used Hot Spring Cover Shield and 303 Aerospace Protectant religiously on my hot tub cover for years. A friend of mine has an older version of the same hot tub I do which also sits out in direct sunlight. His is in better condition than mine and he's never put a thing on it. :(
Wrangler fender flares are the worst. I've had 1 YJ and 3 TJ's. They all fade no matter what. The best cure is to have them professionally sprayed with bedliner (if you like the look). Other than that, a rattle can of flat plastic paint does the job. I got really good at painting Jeep fender flares with rattle cans over the years :)

And yeah, I'm trying not to knock 303 too much, it is decent stuff. But there are better products out there, especially for the interior, 303 leaves too much grease/shine for me. Other products can make black pop (and last) and still have that beautiful matte OEM look. Look into Carpro Perl, I can't say enough about it. Google around for details on how to use it, you wouldn't want go full strength on interior plastics.

· Registered
91 Posts
Many trucks have more plastic external components "now a days" to lighten the truck( for fuel economy, lower cost(?) I hope the UV inhibitors are effective in this black plastic. I typically keep my vehicle for at least ten years and worry about the longevity of all this plastic especially since I will be moving to a arrid area with over 300 sunny days a year. Any suggestions besides garage, park in shade (good luck)? Kevlar paint coating of some areas? Are the plastic protective liquids/spray effective without a glossy sheen or greasy finish?

I recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant. Matte finished and works well on plastic, vinyl, rubber, etc. it's a bit pricey but it's worthy.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,159 Posts
Reactions: cdubculvy

· Registered
353 Posts
I recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant. Matte finished and works well on plastic, vinyl, rubber, etc. it's a bit pricey but it's worthy.
Actually, it is pretty cheap over the long term. I bought a bottle of it at R.E.I. for $16 in 2005 and still have some of it left. Early on, I discovered that it was different from most surface treatments; the secret was to put it on as thinly as possible, just enough to wet the surface evenly, spreading it out as much as possible. A thicker coat of 303 just gets wiped back off during the final buffing and only the thin, bottom-most layer remains anyway.

· Super Moderator
9,159 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but I think you guys missed the point. I did not shine the tires (dealer did), but put a protective UV coating on the black trim that will last the better part of a year.

I will report back next August and my trim will still be looking new rather than faded from the sun.:grin:

· Registered
10 Posts
Just a quick FYI to share. Based on commentary from this thread and information gleaned from some car detailing forums, I went ahead and purchased a liter of CarPro PERL (cost $23.99 with free shipping via Amazon Prime). It seems to offer the most flexibility in terms of usage for all the various non-painted surfaces of our Ridgelines. I also went to the Dollar Store and bought a few small spray bottles of their generic auto protectant (I wanted the bottles, I poured the product into an old Windex spray bottle and I'll be using that stuff when I get around to detailing an older car we're selling). I made 3 dilutions, using distilled water, 1:1 for tires, 1:3 for exterior plastics/underhood and 1:5 for interior surfaces. The stuff leaves a great matte sheen and with the exception of tires, a little goes a long way. I'll probably opt for a cheaper product to use on tires, though with two thin coats, it leaves the tires looking great...not too glossy. It's not greasy at all and doesn't seem to attract dust. I'm hesitant to use it (or anything) on the headlights to prevent fading, so I'm conducting an experiment by treating a piece of plexiglass and leaving it outside in an area that sees max sunlight...we'll see how it looks in a year. I also bought some Simple Green to use as a generic cleaner ($9.99 at Lowes for a gallon + a spray bottle bundle pack) based on a conversation with my neighbor who is pretty picky about car maintenance. My cars sit outside 24/7, so I want to get a jump on maintaining the Ridgeline in top condition for the years ahead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.