Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
swampler said:
Does anyone use Super Tech oil ?
I don't. Yet.
I'm still trying to decide on what oil to use.

I'm leaning toward Mobil 1 synthetic. But I'm still open for suggestions.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I do not believe the Super Tech oil is a true synthetic in the sense that a Mobil One or Amsoil or Redline would be. There are different views of what "synthetic" really is but the base stock is usually the key as opposed to the additive packs. Nonetheless, the Super Tech is probably going to give you better protection than most dino oils.

Personally, I think I'll go with Havoline regular dino oil, at least for the first change. It has posted some wonderful used oil analysis reports at BITOG.com. The 5w20 is available most everywhere and is often on sale, especially at AdvanceAuto. It has the most moly of any oil except the Redline synthetic and I've heard Honda engines like lots of moly (others say that is a myth so who knows). I do know that the factory fill has a bunch of moly, be it from the oil itself or the assembly lubricants. In any event, the Havoline is a very, very good oil.

From what I have been reading, virtually any of today's top name 5w20 brands will do you very well and protect your engine for a long time. Because our oil life monitor will go nearly 7000 miles before service due, I want a Little extra protection just to play it safe. So I use LC20 (LubeControl-20) which has been around for a long time and really helps the oil do its job better - and last longer. A few ounces of LC20 and I should be able to run regular dino oil as long as most people run synthetics and with better protection (cheaper too as a gallon jug only costs about $30). To be sure however, I plan on getting a used oil analysis to see if the change intervals suggested by the monitor coincide with the actual life expectancy of the oil.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I use Mobil-1 5W-20 and the Super Tech filter.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would be curious as to what any of the oil-heads (is that right?) have to say about this. I am not usually a Walmart shopper, in fact I refused to shop there at all for the longest time, but I have 3 or 4 Walmart items around these days just because it is easy to find some obscure things there. I am already considering picking up the filter and getting the dealership to use it based on recommendations from cismo in the past.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. From some searching I've done, looks like Quaker State may be the supplier of the oil through Warren Distributing. I've never been a fan of Quaker State (heard they were bad to cause sludge in engines), so I guess I'll stick with Castrol dino for now.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
captmiddy said:
I am already considering picking up the filter and getting the dealership to use it based on recommendations from cismo in the past.
Darn, I'm getting confused on what oil filter to use again, Thought I read everything and had that clear. :( Have to read cismo's post's again.

I thought the H&A Blue filter, the one with the 15400-PLM-AO1 p/n was the old Honda original filter and not the Honeywell re-make.----http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline.html

Is that not correct?

Ive' decided on Mobil 1 syn. but haven't decided which oil filter yet.

Thanks for any input from anyone.

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
The Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filter that says "FILTECH" on it is the GOOD filter. The 15400-PLM-A02 is the Honeywell / Fram junk filter.

Beware... there are places online that let you order the 15400-PLM-A01 filter but send you the A02 filter as a replacement. I'm not speaking of H and A, but there are others so make sure you actually receive what you ordered.

The Wal-Mart SuperTech synthetic oil is made by Quaker State. I am not aware that they distribute a 5w-30... I've only seen 10w-30. It is NOT a true synthetic oil since it's a Group III base stock product, but it is better than most conventional oils. I have no problem with anyone that wants to use such a product if they can find the correct weight oil.

I'm told that Champion Labs will be changing their Honda filters to the new Ecore design soon. The verdict is still out on the Ecore filters and I will withdraw my recommendation for the Champion Labs filters until we have more experience with the new design. The Ecore filters have a recessed end cap and are easy to identify. Until we have a verdict on the Ecore filters I recommend you stick with the Honda 15400-PLM-A01 or the Purolator Pure One filters. Pick up some SuperTech ST7317 filters very soon if you want to use the time proven Champion Labs design before the changeover to the Ecore design.

-Joe

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I need to clarify something in my previous post. SuperTech synthetic oil is packaged for Wal-Mart by Warren Distributing. There used to be three distributors, but I'm told that Warren is currently supplying Wal-Mart nationwide.

Warren Distributing is currently using Quaker State oil. This could change at any time. Since Wal-Mart is involved you can bet that Warren is just the lowest bidder, and Warren is using Quaker State because they are the lowest cost supplier.

This could probably change at a moments notice. Warren has used Pennzioil in the past. If Warren could find a lower cost supplier I'm betting they would switch so don't take the current Quaker State statement as gospel.

-Joe

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate the great info.
You have reinforced the desicions I have made from reading your and other's past post's regarding what oil and oil filters to use. I'm a long time user of Mobile1 synthetic anyway. I was just a little confused on the filter issues.

I remember the A01 or the Purolator Pure One were the ones to use and not the A02. But if I remember correctly, someone said you could end up with an A02 filter even at a Honda dealership with their oil changes.

I usually do my own oil changes (on my good vehicles) but might let my dealer do the first one to make them happy and I want to bring my own filter. I keep looking at the 15400-PLM -A01 filters online at H&A and was hopping they are "FILTECH"

H&A, from what Ive' seen here and from Trevor's post's seems like a first class operation. So I'm going to stock up on filters from H&A. Heck, they are only $4.88 or so ea.

Thanks again.

Joe

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joe,

Yes, thanks for the replies. Very informative.

I'm going to stick with name brand dino oil for now and either the A01 filter from H&A or Purolator Pure One filter locally. In fact, went ahead and bought a 12 pack of Valvoline 5W-20 last night. Should last me a good 6 months (not counting wife's oil changes).

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been thinking of synthetic oil again, so while at Wal-mart today, I looked at the Super Tech again. $13 for a 5 quart jug and is full synthetic. Ended up going with the Mobil 1 though. Will do the change next weekend and see how it goes. Hope I'm not wasting my money by spending $22 for synthetic versus the $10 I was spending for dino. It's only 3 to 4 times a year though.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Someone on here did the research and found out that the SuperTech Oil filter is typically the same as the Mobile 1 Synthetic oil filter. It has the same characteristic and materials are the same. basically it the same filter but branded differently and also the price difference, from $4.00 to $12.00 mobile oil filter.

I've been using Mobile 1 Full Synthetic from costco, Some Costco do carry 5w20 weight oil and some don't, so i choose to use 5w30 weight oil and opted for the Mobile 1 Oil filter, but will change over to the SuperTech Filter on my Second oil change and still use Mobile 1 Full Synthetic oil. Costco carry 6 bottles in one box. my 2cent.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
carolinaridgeline said:
I using http://www.pennzoilplatinum.com/ and WIX oil filter http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp which is the OEM for NAPA Gold filters, can't go wrong. The penzoil product can be obtained at WallyWorld, 5W-30 for less than 19 claims. Can't go wrong right Csimo :)?
I almost got the Penzoil Platinum, but for $3 I went with the Mobil 1. Not sure how a Wix filter is. Used to be owned by Dana, not sure who owns them now.

I use the Purolator Pure One filters. Csimo recommends them and Mobil 1 filters, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
unless you all decide to do what toobuku did with his oil filter. I believe he went with a permanent re-usable oil filter, made from stainless steel and all. The cost may be high for initial purchase, but it should pay for itself over time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
WalMart Super Tech 5W30 Oil

For the record and those interested ...

Here is a link to the MSDS sheet (Revised 7/26/05) showing that the WalMart Super Tech 5W30 full synthetic oil (Product Code WM53FNPL) is provided by Warren Distribution of Omaha (800-825-1235).

http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/36155_1.pdf

Primary composition is hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillates ... :(.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts