Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nope, it will show Aaron Rodgers throwing a 80 yard pass into the trunk of a parked Ridgeline in the end-zone and then the bed speakers will come on and announce "Touchdown, Unbelievable!" while fans gather around and have a tailgate party to the music, most likely.

·
Registered
781 Posts
No, it's going to have that little Korean guy jump out of the trunk like that scene from "The Hangover". :act024:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Per their EU2000 generator "tailgating" ads, Honda equates tailgaters to 80-yr old grandmothers. Maybe the grannies will be featured!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Probably the same size and lying about it being bigger like them saying the swing tailgate is new...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Probably the same size and lying about it being bigger like them saying the swing tailgate is new...
Looks to me like different configuration but not that different in size (if a bit smaller as has been suggested). It's now flat all across, so you gain that space that was a shelf before, but it looks to me maybe to be a bit wider left to right, but maybe slightly shallower & possibly not as "deep" front to back. But about the same overall.
Must my eye speaking.....

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Looks to me like different configuration but not that different in size (if a bit smaller as has been suggested). It's now flat all across, so you gain that space that was a shelf before, but it looks to me maybe to be a bit wider left to right, but maybe slightly shallower & possibly not as "deep" front to back. But about the same overall.
Must my eye speaking.....
I think you may be correct I was scared that Honda would mess up one of our most loved features on the Ridgeline.
It looks to flatten out but looks a bit smaller but still very useful if a 64quart cooler fit down in there. Will like to see specs and more pictures of the trunk to compare with G1 RL

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
The trunk was reconfigured so a 64 quart cooler will fit inside. I was told overall volume is slightly reduced. The tailgate action is carryover, but it has indentations for more comfortable seating and a much larger (and flimsier) plastic lip. I was told that a full size spare "should fit" in the allocated space but I wasn't able to find out if anyone has actually tried to see if it fits, and it sure doesn't look like it will fit to me. The area looked smaller and the tires are bigger.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The trunk was reconfigured so a 64 quart cooler will fit inside. I was told overall volume is slightly reduced. The tailgate action is carryover, but it has indentations for more comfortable seating and a much larger (and flimsier) plastic lip. I was told that a full size spare "should fit" in the allocated space but I wasn't able to find out if anyone has actually tried to see if it fits, and it sure doesn't look like it will fit to me. The area looked smaller and the tires are bigger.
I hope a full size spare will fit. I tend to ask for a full size spare when I purchase vehicles that do not have them. Especially when the vehicle is a 4x4 or AWD.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I heard/saw that 64 qt. cooler comment on one of the intro briefs for G2 as well. But my old white 70 qt Coleman fit in the G1 trunk like it was made for it.... right across the existing flat part of the bottom (roughly 33" ??) and fit just inside with the lid closed (16" high maybe???).

So, I'm not sure how they changed the dimensions, but I don't know what dimensions of a 64 qt. cooler would not fit in a G1, but the new one actually looks a bit narrower front to back, to me; and I'm guessing the new one won't be any deeper vertically. I'm guessing that any "growth" would be side to side, plus the elimination of that step in the floor (so G2 WOULD be able to accept a LONGER cooler w/o interference from that 'bump' in the floor on G1). It would be ironic if the G2 actually WON'T accept a cooler that would fit in the G1.

It will be interesting to see when we actually get access to this new model.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I heard its gonna star Johnny Weir and he is going to climb out after putting up his arm rest and say I've always wanted a Honda Odyssey/Pilot Truck. Yippee..

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Last year there were 13.8 MILLION vehicles sold in the US. In one year. People decided to purchase around 200K Ridgelines in TEN YEARS they have been available. It is safe to say, statistically, that very few car buying people know anything about the tailgate or the trunk. It will be new to most everyone watching the Superbowl and they don't care about the history. Also the Ridgeline, for all intents and purposes, is a totally new truck compared to the Gen 1 Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
If they are more successful at selling the same unique features of the gen 1 they are 90% there.

You can't really sell the looks or cosmetics, other that show them with the right camera angle and in the right light (literally).

This is a truck you buy first for functionality. If they worry about flat tires with a full bed and the hassle of getting the spare out, or think the gate looks weird when swinging vs. just a dropdown, forget about it!

The critics are just waiting to put it down, and the uneducated are sheep.

The commercial has to show them how it works and how it is meant to be used by the average Joe or Jane.

Honda has the shovel ready to either dig deeper into the truck market or dig a grave for the truck they have.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts