Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
The transmission is definitely the weak link as others have mentioned. Honda really doesn't make a fantastic transmission in my opinion.
I always chuckle to myself when folks want the horsepower and fuel savings. How would that possibly work ?
The Ridgeline at the moment like my Pilot is a bit of a fuel hog but I understood that going in. I really enjoy the Pilot for it's utility and flexibility. Now put a supercharger on these gas hogs and be prepared to be at the pump every 3 days.:act060:

Get a sports car!:act035:

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is zero proof that the drivetrain would have any issues, they have been making kits for the TL for a long time and there are no issues. So are you guys in? If we get enough people committed and deposits are made they will have to get hondata to make a reflash because without it, it wouldn't work anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I have serious reservation considering this model has been out 8 years now, I don't think many modders have considered it worth their time/money.

But wish you the best of luck in any case. The road from Simple to Complicated is often a very short one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm guessing the lack of details regarding the kit put a lot of people off. There's no info about what blower it uses, what it uses for additional fueling, belt tensioning, any cooling upgrades, dyno plots, etc.

It looks like a positive displacement "roots" blower which would definitely add torque at the low end where the Ridgeline is lacking. It doesn't appear to have an intercooler. Might just add an extra injector and piggyback controller for extra fuel. Just my guesses though.

If nobody even makes a performance shock for the Ridgeline, I'd wager the aftermarket vendors just don't think there are enough possible buyers looking for upgrade parts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you add up all the RL sold in North America since inception, <300,000, and then try to determine how many people would go through the expense of adding a supercharger costing $5k or more. The numbers just don't support the expense of R&D required for a new product. If the power train won't support another 50-75 hp sales will diminish quickly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only real issue with the drivetrain is the VTM-4. If you create a condition where the front wheels are spinning and the rear is trying to catch up by engaging the VTM-4 clutches, then you can easily damage the rear diff. If you have a good strategy of controlling wheelspin then you shouldn't have an issue with the VTM-4. This is why I had suggested nitrous in another thread awhile back. You can set up a nitrous system to add power only when it's not likely to spin. 1st gear lock out, progressive control, RPM window switch, etc. can all be implemented to accomplish this.

Another possible way to protect the VTM-4 diff would be to bypass the current going to the electric clutches with a switching circuit or perhaps even simply interrupt power going to them. If the clutches in the rear diff can be switched off and prevented from engaging, then there should be no issue with damaging them. The VTM-4 diff has a very simple electrical circuit and operates on very simple principles. I'm pretty sure the VTM-4 control module can be "fooled" and wouldn't know the difference. Just make sure the VTM-4 doesn't try to "help" at the wrong times and you should be good...

That leaves the transmission. It's not as bad as some people make it, but it's true the design isn't as beefy as your typical automatic found in your typical truck. Still though, it should be good enough for at least some substantial gains. The Ridge is capable of towing after all, so whether you load up a stock engine/stock trans with the max gross vehicle weight and pull it up a hill or a run a boosted engine/stock trans totally empty down the dragstrip, it should be about the "same difference" to the transmission. Obviously it will have its limits, but it's not totally worthless... Just don't get too crazy with the power, keep the trans temps as low as you can and use common sense when digging into the throttle. Full boost pulls up a hill with a trailer is probably what you want to avoid...

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
You know, when it comes down to it, I think the bottom line is that even if this worked perfectly and would yield another 75hsp, there aren't many people the would sink $6,000 into a single mod on a $23,000 vehicle. Simple economics don't add up.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The only real issue with the drivetrain is the VTM-4. If you create a condition where the front wheels are spinning and the rear is trying to catch up by engaging the VTM-4 clutches, then you can easily damage the rear diff.
Isn't this how VTM-4 is designed to work? When the front wheels start to spin faster than the actual speed indicates, power is transferred. I'd think the clutches would fail long before the diff does.

Another possible way to protect the VTM-4 diff would be to bypass the current going to the electric clutches with a switching circuit or perhaps even simply interrupt power going to them. If the clutches in the rear diff can be switched off and prevented from engaging, then there should be no issue with damaging them. The VTM-4 diff has a very simple electrical circuit and operates on very simple principles. I'm pretty sure the VTM-4 control module can be "fooled" and wouldn't know the difference. Just make sure the VTM-4 doesn't try to "help" at the wrong times and you should be good...
You mean make the Ridgeline into a FWD-only truck? I'd think that would be bad enough with a stock engine, much less a boosted one. Torque steer sucks.

so whether you load up a stock engine/stock trans with the max gross vehicle weight and pull it up a hill or a run a boosted engine/stock trans totally empty down the dragstrip, it should be about the "same difference" to the transmission.
A heavy towing load is much more constant and would be harder on the connecting rods. A dragstrip run would be much more likely to blow up a part of the drivetrain closer to the wheels, like a transmission, diff, clutch, or axle. I agree that the transmission isn't "worthless," but I wouldn't say it has proven its strength in the additional sudden torque of a boosted motor and a sudden WOT.

I think if CT were serious about selling a kit, they'd at least have a test mule to prove to all us naysayers that the truck is made of glass. I have a lot more than $6k in my car that is only worth $4k! Build it and they will come...

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.