Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The problem with adding significant power to the RL is that the rest of the driveline can't handle it. The VTM-4 unit is operating pretty close to it's maximum capabilities just with the stock motor.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
Comptech had a prototype back in 2007-8 or so they were testing for mass market. It was said to add only about 40-50hp/tq and cost in excess of $5000. They were also having trouble with the subsequent tuning that needed done for it. As was said, this put the rear diff under a much larger amount of stress and the rest of the driveline wasn't made to handle a lot more power. Every component of this truck was designed to work within a defined set of limits. If you throw any of that out of spec, you're going to run into problems. Comptech went out of business not long after that and nothing was ever made available for the RL. This engine simply wasn't built to handle forced induction.

There are a few things that can be done to give you about a 25-30hp boost, but you're looking at about $100 per hp for the upgrades. It includes a 3.7 liter intake manifold and throttle body, custom air intake, RV6 J-pipe, high flow cats and an aftermarket exhaust. The 25-30hp is a complete estimate as those who have done this combination have never had their trucks on an AWD dyno to get a measurement. Nonetheless, there are certainly things that can be done to this truck for a little boost in power, but you're never going to get a pile of power out of it with a few parts and a handheld tuner like you can on the Big 3 full size trucks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Why is my brain telling me that some of our Russian friends might have gone this way (super charger)??? Faint memories, or just fertile imagination?

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
Why is my brain telling me that some of our Russian friends might have gone this way (super charger)??? Faint memories, or just fertile imagination?
I believe at least one of them did. I think it was an Eaton unit and it was a completely custom application. There weren't many details about it and no long-term reliability reports. As with any serious power modification, you have to be willing to pay to play.

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
Ha! I know nitrous oxide is extremely popular for drag racers and street racers for high-horsepower street machines, but I'm not exactly fond of having an extremely explosive compressed gas riding around in my daily driver with me. Plus, too much stress on the drivetrain parts of the RL will cause something expensive to break sooner rather than later. I'd rather keep my truck operating properly than have it be a second or two quicker in a quarter mile. To each, his own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
drivetrain issues where do you see one ridg with burned vtm-4
i made box to send 2 Amp to the clutch = +- 500lbs torque min / wheel + add current from vtm4 box on wet road 4 wheel spin on start-up anyway torque converter will limit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts