Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 RL with 105K miles and have recently noticed a noise coming from what appears to be the driver's side rear area when I run over anything that could produce a small bump. It sounds like a loose suspension component; kinda makes a rattling sound. The truck rides normally, doesn't list to one side, and when I push down on the rear as if doing a 'shock bounce' test, it reacts perfectly. Any ideas? Anyone else had a similar issue?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing. Annoys the sh*t out of me. I expect something with the rear sway bars (as Northern has said). Going to have it looked over and I will report what I find.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Could be loose hood prop rod, windshield washer fluid bottle, or strut tower bearings.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
My RL was making a rattling sound from the trunk area when hitting a bump. I thought it was the jack rattling.

Turns out it was time for new struts/shocks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could be loose hood prop rod, windshield washer fluid bottle, or strut tower bearings.
I do know the noise is coming from the rear driver's side suspension. When I get it looked at I will have the guy check the struts as well. I just can't seem to isolate it by myself.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,
You all are never gonna believe what was making that rattling noise on my RL. When I took it my local mechanic for the 105K checkup (timing belt, serpentine belt, etc, etc) I had them check the rear suspension while it was there. The problem was a rock that had wedged itself between the swing arm and the frame. That was it. They removed the rock and the noise is gone. I like those kind of fixes. :act035:

·
Administrator
17,304 Posts
This isn't helpful, but my 2010 had a suspension rattle beginning early on in its life. I never could find a cause and I checked everything that I could think of and that was suggested over the years. I couldn't reproduce it with a "bounce test" and only did it over small bumps. Oddly, big bumps were quiet and solid. No ride or handling issues.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,905 Posts
Most suspected suspension noises I've found have been traced to accumulated junk I've stashed around the vehicle. I did have a low speed clunk develop on the Pilot after my wife returned from a trip a year ago. Replacing the front stab links fixed that... but it took a shop to trace it. My efforts to check the links by hand did not indicate any problem.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've always had noises on mine from the day I bought it about 3 years ago. Suspension noises have always been fixed by replacing little things like end links, CV boots, and bushings. I also got noises while accelerating which were always fixed by replacing a rusted heat shield. Now I've got noises while turning. I think it's a bad wheel bearing (I already got 1 replaced last year).

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I have the clunks over small bumps. Going to replace my links (Truxx links 1" shorter cause of the lift but made for and by Honda). I already have them just waiting for the time to do it. Dont know if I should replace the sway bar bushings or wait and see if the noise goes away with just the links. Time will tell and I'll get back to ya on the out come. I've been nursin the links for a bit over a year. I know its the rubber rotting, moister getting in then they dont move like they should. 90,000 miles and the rubber rotten out and under $90 bucks to fix oh well things could be worse. Rears are stock and still ok but will replace them as well soon.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,604 Posts
I have the clunks over small bumps. Going to replace my links (Truxx links 1" shorter cause of the lift but made for and by Honda). I already have them just waiting for the time to do it. Dont know if I should replace the sway bar bushings or wait and see if the noise goes away with just the links. Time will tell and I'll get back to ya on the out come. I've been nursin the links for a bit over a year. I know its the rubber rotting, moister getting in then they dont move like they should. 90,000 miles and the rubber rotten out and under $90 bucks to fix oh well things could be worse. Rears are stock and still ok but will replace them as well soon.
Bushings are less than $15 for the pair. They are also easier to replace when there is no tension on the sway bar, like when the end links are disconnected. Seems like a no brainer to me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts